analysis epsilon - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2012, 01:37 AM   #131
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMESBOS View Post
Tried it in parallel with 3.9 ohm resistor to get minimum of 6.3 ohms for the ONKYO Receiver.Not made any difference in sensitivity if anything slightly lower. So not really worth the resistor. So will be going back to in series. I am rebuilding one that used plastic magnets, which wasn't very loud. Hope the new layout will make it worth using more of the plastic magnets Hopefully!!
Henry,

Thanks! Sorry to bother you again but what Onkyo model are you using?

(I'd like to try to understand if I was thinking about all of this the wrong way. And knowing the Onkyo model number might help me.)

Cheers,

Tom
Old 18th January 2012, 07:05 AM   #132
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gootee View Post
Henry,

Thanks! Sorry to bother you again but what Onkyo model are you using?

(I'd like to try to understand if I was thinking about all of this the wrong way. And knowing the Onkyo model number might help me.)

Cheers,

Tom
The model no is TX-NR3007
Old 18th January 2012, 07:29 AM   #133
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=LFM;2866960]Hello Jamesbos. I have a question about the aluminum tape and how to deal with a problem. How do you splice the foil if it is torn accidentally. Redoing the pattern may be the best method but can it be salvaged if you have the pattern nearly completed. I believe you mentioned a method using clear tape. I would like to hear what you recommend ...Albert[/Quote
I have used 2 methods depending on the circumstances:-
The clear tape method: cut a piece of tape longer than the tear turn over the ends about 2 inches leaving some sticky stuff in the middle stick it over the tear , then use some sellotape and stick it on top of the aluminium tape to hold the turned over ends in place. The other method uses staples:-Stick a long piece of tape over the full length of the torn strip and staple it at both ends to the underlying tape making sure you have half of the staple on the repair tape and the tape already on the diaphragm over the ends of the cutout. Make sure you don't get any finger prints where the tape butts.I have used both methods and the staple one is more reliable, probably due to fingerprints.! I have used another method:- If the tape is torn when turning the tape and it is on the wood surround, I have used a large headed bolt in between the 2 broken pieces. Bolted tight has worked for me, or if the actual tape is not long enough, when building very big ones i.e. 7' x 2'
Old 18th January 2012, 08:40 PM   #134
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 18th January 2012, 08:52 PM   #135
diyAudio Member

seems ages ago since i started this thread but it has taken a long time to source a suitable rubber for the suspension,finding some of the correct durometer and flexibility and well as consistancy proved to be quite a challenge. have decided to ditch the factory frame work which was mdf in favour of aluminium which makes it much easier now to remove or adjust the diaphram as well damping the panel better due to the extra weight, downside was having to drill and tap a large number holes but i think its a much better solution.
Old 18th January 2012, 09:20 PM   #136
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 19th January 2012, 08:20 PM   #137
diyAudio Member

Have nearly finished rebuilding a previous design using very weak plastic magnets. The original design was way too insensitive. Using the epsilon layout will hopefully improve it significantly. Showing the plastic on the left 3' x 1.45' and the 60 x 40 cm on the right. Picture frame ready to be fixed and diaphragm tightened Should be finished tomorrow. I did break the aluminium foil halfway thro', but carried on with a repair, hope it's O.K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0107.JPG (722.8 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0106.JPG (819.8 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0108.JPG (725.8 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0109.JPG (714.4 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by JAMESBOS; 19th January 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 20th January 2012, 02:16 PM   #138
diyAudio Member

Finished plastic magnet speaker, not very loud still, may not bother with the pair!!
Old 20th January 2012, 02:24 PM   #139
tyu is online now tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Briant
Thanks for the pic an info....henry doing some great work...
Old 20th January 2012, 02:30 PM   #140
diyAudio Member

Still got many rebuilds to do! Can't make my mind up which to do next!

Hide this!Advertise here!