Some More Questions On ELS Design - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2012, 06:58 AM   #131
diyAudio Member

Wow, those look really nice! Are you planning to run them full range?

By the way, I love your cars too.

Wachara C.
Old 7th August 2012, 08:54 AM   #132
diyAudio Member

Me too; all that great speaker design and exceptional esthetics as well.
Love your car lift too.

Final tuning is always to your taste by your ear (nobody who has read threads on the subject here could believe that "flat" is some kind of God ordained virtue).

But first you really have to get a good characterization of the output using trick software that avoids the fallacy of using sine waves in a room.

Do you have good software for mic testing? I use REW from Home Theater: free, good features, and works with Macs. You need a Radio Shack sound level meter (and download the calibration correction curve for it) and away you go.

You might consider testing in a few different rooms (such as garage) and also esp. open air. Run a curve on your amp output when connected to the speakers to ensure that your electric drive is flat (which can be done by just spot checking a few sine-wave freqs... but more fun with REW or other automated plotting).

Which leads next to experimenting with room placement and working with multiple subs in heterogeneous locations.

My Dayton-Wrights are champs for low freq and not bad down to 80 or so... with 40 lb transformers, gas, very big..... Earlier you were aiming for crossing over at like 250? If you can get down low enough to just need subs (120 Hz, no kidding), that would be great.

Ben

Last edited by bentoronto; 7th August 2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 7th August 2012, 02:28 PM   #133
diyAudio Member

With good transformers, you can certainly go full range on these. I really like your design.

Wachara C.
Old 9th August 2012, 07:21 PM   #134
fperra is offline fperra  United States
diyAudio Member

As stated in my last post I won't be able to get around to setting these up in the house and doing some tests for a couple more weeks. In the mean time they are hooked up in the garage to a small 40 watts/channel amp and my Ipod and they sound great. But I have noticed that I'm getting a strong ozone smell from the tweeter panels if I stick my nose right up to them. The large panels are biased to -4500 volts and the small panels are biased at -3500 volts. There is no evidence of arcing and no static or popping noises. Should I be concerned about the ozone?
Old 10th August 2012, 12:05 AM   #135
diyAudio Member

Ooops. Ozone generation may be very important to address. I hope others will bring their tech diagnostic experience to bear. For example, if it arises from sparking (which might be visible in the dark), not healthy for your diaphragm. (I think Dayton-Wrights in gas bag run much higher voltages.)

I'd just like to say that ozone is damaging for lungs, rubber, etc. when concentrated. But the threshold for smelling it is way below the danger threshold (x10). Good thing, eh.

Ben

Last edited by bentoronto; 10th August 2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10th August 2012, 01:21 AM   #136
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
Ooops. Ozone generation may be very important to address. I hope others will bring their tech diagnostic experience to bear. For example, if it arises from sparking (which might be visible in the dark), not healthy for your diaphragm. (I think Dayton-Wrights in gas bag run much higher voltages.)

I'd just like to say that ozone is damaging for lungs, rubber, etc. when concentrated. But the threshold for smelling it is way below the danger threshold (x10). Good thing, eh.

Ben
There is no sparking at all. even in total darkness. In order to smell it I need to put my nose right up to the speaker. They will be in the garage for the next few weeks with music playing so we will se what developes. I now have two of my spare QSC amps driving them but still fed from the ipod. And they can play very loud.
Old 10th August 2012, 11:51 AM   #137
diyAudio Member

Long and hard to follow history on high voltage ion generators and electrostatic cleaners. Suffice it to say, they are definitely out of style today. For the moment.

Take care. Ozone bad and some research says city-living already produces too much ozone exposure. Maybe enclosing speakers is ultimately needed.

And on the other hand, Mike Wright said sound output (for a given input voltage) rises with the square (or more) of the bias voltage. For many ESLs getting enough output matters a lot. I think a sensible trade-off favors conservative bias and bigger drive signal.

Ben

Last edited by bentoronto; 10th August 2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 31st August 2012, 09:43 PM   #138
diyAudio Member

Time for an update. In testing the speakers I ran into a problem with one of my large panels not putting out any bass and buzzing at high volume levels. It took a while to figure out the problem, but when I did I felt like an idiot. I forgot to take the protective strip off of one of the foam tape horizontal dividers.

After taking the panel apart and rebuilding it everything is fine now. I have them hooked up to my two spare QSC RMX850 amps with a Beheringer DCX2496 crossover/processor. The crossover is set to 401hz at 48 db/octave and the low frequencys are rolled off at 70 hz at 48db/oct. I've settled on these transformers for the bass:
Transformer - Hammond, Output, Push-Pull, 100 W | Antique Electronic Supply LLC
These are hooked up two per channel, series/parallel. And they work great. Some preliminary testing to adjust the DCX2496 show the frequency response esentially flat from 70 hz up to 20 khz. The speakers sound absolutly wonderful and can play extremely loud.

Once I get them into the house I'll post some more pictures and some plots. I'm a happy camper.

Last edited by fperra; 31st August 2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 31st August 2012, 09:57 PM   #139
diyAudio Member

Fperra,
Pics from photobucket are not loading for me. Can you attach them as attachments in a post, so that they remain permanent?
Thanks!
Old 31st August 2012, 10:50 PM   #140
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersonix View Post
Fperra,
Pics from photobucket are not loading for me. Can you attach them as attachments in a post, so that they remain permanent?
Thanks!
The only way I know how to post pictures is with photobucket. How do I post them as attachments?

Hide this!Advertise here!