New fountek tweeters - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2011, 06:47 PM   #1
Cyan is offline Cyan  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Default New fountek tweeters

I've just noticed that fountek has released a new series of ribbons. Not sure if they're already available on the market, and I dunno the price. Spec wise, they seem better than the older series, as they require a lower order crossover. For instance, for the neocd3.0 a 3d order is recomended, for the new series, a 2nd order is suggested.
A comparison with other ribbons would be interesting.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 10:54 AM   #2
Cyan is offline Cyan  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
How does the thickness of the diaphragm influence the sound? I see that the raal have a 0.004mm thickness, while these new fountek have the same thickness as the old series: 0.015mm.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a thinner diaphragm.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 06:01 PM   #3
brunob is offline brunob  Germany
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Erlangen, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyan View Post
How does the thickness of the diaphragm influence the sound? I see that the raal have a 0.004mm thickness, while these new fountek have the same thickness as the old series: 0.015mm.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a thinner diaphragm.
thinner ribbon:
+ higher sensibility
+ more extended frequency response in the treble
0 frequency response rises above 10KHz
- more fragile


I am using 0.0008 mm.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 06:23 PM   #4
Cyan is offline Cyan  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunob View Post
thinner ribbon:
+ higher sensibility
+ more extended frequency response in the treble
0 frequency response rises above 10KHz
- more fragile


I am using 0.0008 mm.

That is amazing, what tweeter do you have? Indeed the fountek have that dam bump above 10khz, though it's easily solvable by putting the speakers 15 off-axis.
With more fragile do you also mean less power handling, i.e. requiring a higher order crossover?
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 05:24 PM   #5
brunob is offline brunob  Germany
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Erlangen, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyan View Post
That is amazing, what tweeter do you have? Indeed the fountek have that dam bump above 10khz, though it's easily solvable by putting the speakers 15 off-axis.
With more fragile do you also mean less power handling, i.e. requiring a higher order crossover?
My DIY tweeter is described here:
Stackable ribbon module

With more fragile, I mean that the ribbon can break easily with wind. I have been using a 0.8 micron (0.0008 mm) ribbon for a few weeks now with a 1st order XO at 1000 Hz. It still works.

Bruno
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: Fountek Neo 3.0 CD ribbon tweeters -pair smallangryboy Swap Meet 3 2nd October 2011 06:37 PM
Fountek Neo3.5H ribbon tweeters. As new... tweakk Swap Meet 9 18th July 2011 04:07 PM
1 pair Fountek JP2.0 ribbon tweeters - excellent condition zobsky Swap Meet 0 10th January 2011 12:18 AM
FS: Pair Fountek JP3.0 ribbon tweeters Saurav Swap Meet 8 1st July 2008 06:02 PM
FS (3) Fountek NeoCd 2.0 tweeters Guiness Swap Meet 1 24th January 2008 10:36 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:16 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2