Alternative source for ribbon Foil.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI ALL

I've been searching for thin alum foil for my ribbon project.
To date the thinnest i've found locally has been some cheap and nasty kitchen foil. it feels thinner than some of the more expensive brands..
However my eye was caught tho the day by some foil that appeared thinner.

The source : A Lindt chocolate block....the wrapper withing seemed very interesting.

I wonder if anybody out there has a micrometer than they can measure this stuff with...

It also has the advantage of being pre embossed- but with the Lindt logo.

Nothing to lose here in trying, if its no good for ribbon speakers the product is pretty good.

The type i refer to is from the range that has Chili chocolate:eek:.
The size of the ribbon one could construct would be limited to about 200mm,

Currently I'm eyeing off one of the mega-size boxes of Toblerone for R & D:D

Cheers

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Today at the supermarket i thought it about again and had to get some Lindt Edelbitter Mousse Hot Granataple Chili.(2.70 Euro 150 gr.)
With my el Cheapo Digital Caliper i got 0.48 to 0.56mm for a 32 times fold. So, my foil seams to be 0.015 to 0.0175 mm in thickness.
I had to buy mine in Germany - the Foil may be different in other regions.

--------------------------
I'm one of the 99%

Hi All
I've got my hands on a measuring gizmo
and measuring the cheapest kitche foil I could find have come up with 0.008mm thickness-
compared to about 0.004 to 0.006mm for some of the LCY's ( I think)

not to far off the mark i thinks.. and available in long lengths

BTW the brand of the foil here in Australia is "Black and Gold"

Hope this helps

btw thickness was 0.086 inches for 256 thicknesses of foil,
please feel free to check my calcs..

Hi,
.008mm comes out to about .3mil which sounds about right for some of the thinnest that I have been able to find over here in the states as far as kitchen foil goes.

Commonly it is around .5mil for the regular stuff and between .75mil to 1mil for the heavy duty brands.

jer :)

I know this is an old thread but there seems to be continued interest in thin foil for ribbons and planar magnetic drivers---at least I remain interested! I've been surprised how hard it is to find aluminum foil thinner than 0.0005" = 13 microns. I bought a LONG roll of 5.5 um foil off ebay but later found it's really 13 um thick.:mad:

In my search for other sources I came across sources of thin foil laminated to paper such as the material that triggered this thread. Tonight I found that foil-faced Origami paper is one particularly convenient form of this promising source. The type I tested was Aitoh double-sided Origami DS-2 "Assorted colors/foil." I bought 18 sheets of 15 cm x 15 cm for $4.49 but larger sheets are available as well.

Soaking the paper in water dissolved some of the paper backing but left a lot of mushy pulp still adhering to the foil. On a whim I applied a lighter to the paper side and it burned off fairly neatly leaving foil with an easily removed layer of charred paper. Perhaps putting a sheet in a very hot oven or broiler would provide a more controlled way to remove the paper. In any case, though I haven't measured the foil yet, it behaves as though it's significantly thinner than the 13 um material I've been working with.

Few

Last edited:
HI ALL

I've been searching for thin alum foil for my ribbon project.
To date the thinnest i've found locally has been some cheap and nasty kitchen foil. it feels thinner than some of the more expensive brands..
However my eye was caught tho the day by some foil that appeared thinner.

The source : A Lindt chocolate block....the wrapper withing seemed very interesting.

I wonder if anybody out there has a micrometer than they can measure this stuff with...

It also has the advantage of being pre embossed- but with the Lindt logo.

Nothing to lose here in trying, if its no good for ribbon speakers the product is pretty good.

The type i refer to is from the range that has Chili chocolate:eek:.
The size of the ribbon one could construct would be limited to about 200mm,

Currently I'm eyeing off one of the mega-size boxes of Toblerone for R & D:D

Cheers

Thin is not necessarily everything when doing ribbons , some mass is necessary for control ,power handling, memory and percussive energy (weight) ...

Well unless you think ribbons should sound like jingle bells ..... :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.