Tweeter reccomendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all,
Can you guys reccomend a ribbon or planar tweeter that has a good vertical as well as horizontal dispersion? I want to build a pair of 3 ways for my studio but I may not be able to place them in an optimal position due to other speakers in the way. I'd like to pay no more than $100 each but I can go higher if necessary.

Thanks!

My current speakers (Tannoy Ellipse 8's) are dual concentric. I like the idea of that tweeter but do ribbons or planars with a wide dispersion exist? Is it dependent on the orientation? If so.. how about 2 of them at 90 degeres?

BTW, I see we're both in MD :)

Oh boy, don’t use two (2) tweeters, you’ll hate it – I did when I tried it. The “new” concentric ring tweeters are very cool and don’t cost that much (for now anyway).

I remember the day when the Morel MDT line were $19 bucks, until they caught on.

I have the Vifa in my center channel, I never hear a crackle/distortion, ever. I don’t try to break the windows with volume though. Do you see how the ring works? It takes a sec or two to figure out, the voice coil is in the center of the ring/dimple.

Oh boy, don’t use two (2) tweeters, you’ll hate it – I did when I tried it. The “new” concentric ring tweeters are very cool and don’t cost that much (for now anyway).

I remember the day when the Morel MDT line were $19 bucks, until they caught on.

I have the Vifa in my center channel, I never hear a crackle/distortion, ever. I don’t try to break the windows with volume though. Do you see how the ring works? It takes a sec or two to figure out, the voice coil is in the center of the ring/dimple.

Is it an adjustable voice coil?

The voice coil is not adjustable.

Depending on your layout, you’d be better off with a smaller 2 – way satellite speakers and a subwoofer. That’s what I would do – but that’s what I always do (O;

I’ve built 3 ways, they end up being so big, clunky and you still can’t get the bass as low as a subwoofer.

I got lucky with my last pair of DIY 3 ways; traded a guy for a hunting rifle, years later the rifle became a collector’s item and actually did well on the trade.

The voice coil is not adjustable.

Depending on your layout, you’d be better off with a smaller 2 – way satellite speakers and a subwoofer. That’s what I would do – but that’s what I always do (O;

I’ve built 3 ways, they end up being so big, clunky and you still can’t get the bass as low as a subwoofer.

I got lucky with my last pair of DIY 3 ways; traded a guy for a hunting rifle, years later the rifle became a collector’s item and actually did well on the trade.

Lol, nice.
I have a bunch of 2 ways... and I will be using a sub with the 3-ways so as long as the midbass is tight I'm good.

Good choice. When I fist replaced my front three speakers with the HDS kits (which has that tweeter) the sound stage moved to the right and left about 2 feet. I kept looking over at a blank wall/corner to see where the sound was coming from.

I’m still using the HDS for center, it’s nice….very clear. Even the wife noticed it was easier to hear dialogue watching movies and my “old” speakers are very nice/clear.

I’m going to build another set of HDS Kits, 10 so far, sold/gave all but one (1) to friends. There are a bunch of guys at work that want them, another mess I got myself into…:-/

Oh btw, a small “face” on a speaker helps, the sounds doesn’t do a 180 pattern (only).

The front baffle board, basically the front face. The sound is going to come out in 180 degree concentric rings so you are better off with a small front surface (for the high end). With a small face, the concentric rings will be smaller, because they will “bend back” around the speaker once they reach the edges.

E.g. a tweeter in small 15” angled box is going to work better than one mounted in a huge 24’ x 36” rectangle box.

There are threads on this site that can give you insight about determining the size and shape of the surface upon which the tweeter will be mounted. It plays into the choice of crossover point too. Might want to search for "baffle edge diffraction" and "baffle step frequency".

The front baffle board, basically the front face. The sound is going to come out in 180 degree concentric rings so you are better off with a small front surface (for the high end). With a small face, the concentric rings will be smaller, because they will “bend back” around the speaker once they reach the edges.

E.g. a tweeter in small 15” angled box is going to work better than one mounted in a huge 24’ x 36” rectangle box.

I'm tri-amping these speakers. Would it be better to build separate boxes for each or just do larger at the bottom and smaller on top?

There are threads on this site that can give you insight about determining the size and shape of the surface upon which the tweeter will be mounted. It plays into the choice of crossover point too. Might want to search for "baffle edge diffraction" and "baffle step frequency".

Yeah I'm just grasping an understanding of this stuff. Been reading all kinds of things, some contradicting others but I guess it all boils down to what your use will be.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.