Active Crossover advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,

I am contemplating purchasing a Behringer CX2310 2-Way Stereo/3-Way Mono Frequency Crossover. I would like to use the crossover to control my 2 electrostatic speakers. The question is, can I use for example the right amp channel for the mids and highs, the left chanel for the same frequencies as the right, and the low frequencies can come from my pre-amp to the powered subs.

In other words, I believe with this configuration bi-amping is not necessary since I have a dedicated sub-out (using a powered sub), and the crossover will manage my two ESl's frequencies through the right and left channel.

I want to know if it is possible to hook up their system in this fashion, or has anyone configure their system similarly?

Thanks,
Doc
Doc:confused:

Hello All,

I am contemplating purchasing a Behringer CX2310 2-Way Stereo/3-Way Mono Frequency Crossover. I would like to use the crossover to control my 2 electrostatic speakers. The question is, can I use for example the right amp channel for the mids and highs, the left chanel for the same frequencies as the right, and the low frequencies can come from my pre-amp to the powered subs.

In other words, I believe with this configuration bi-amping is not necessary since I have a dedicated sub-out (using a powered sub), and the crossover will manage my two ESl's frequencies through the right and left channel.

I want to know if it is possible to hook up their system in this fashion, or has anyone configure their system similarly?

Thanks,
Doc
Doc:confused:

That's a very poor quality crossover IMHO. If you want a pro crossover, the DBX 223 is not much more expensive, and should serve you better in many ways. I have owned both.

-Charlie

Hello,Jerry!
Yes,That unit should work Nicely for your ESL's.
My friend Mavric had used that same unit when he had built his last spring.
How ever it is a Balanced in and out so you will have to get/or make the proper adapters.
You can only use that unit as a two-way crossover in stereo mode.
You can take the signal for the sub split off of the main unfilterd signal if you wish.
But, You my have more control over them if you hook them to the low side of the crossover unit.

jer

Thanks Charlie, Jer

Charlie, I have heard they were not the best quality, however I am still shopping! so thanks for your opinion and I will continue to educate myself!

Jer, I always appreciate your comments. I was actually going to use the sub-out of the preamp and run it directly into the sub-in of the crossover...I just didnt want to complicate my question.

Thank,
Jerry

I have read good reviews about the CX3400 and is a much more versital crossover as it does stereo 2 or 3 way.
For about $140 it's more money but it has alot more features, anything more than that you will be looking at the digital units.

Some have stated that the CX2310 is a little noisy,I don't have any experience with these units,But I have used other Behringer devices in the past without any issues and I didn't notice any noise problems with them.

jer

I use the CX3400 with my Dayton-Wrights. Hardly nothing you can't make it do with some creative configuring. Seems as good quality sound as my other gear and vastly better than anybody's speakers, even my tri-amped mostly ESLs.

But, you can't trust the lousy silk-screened panel markings (or the inexpensive pots). So, be sure you verify settings and curves with a scope or mic.

Ben

Thanks Ben for you comments,

So after some research and Charlies suggestion and ordered the DBX223, and actually found it for 99.00 with free shipping!!!

Now for the last Item...for now anyway, is a Sub woofer.

I will post this as a question in this forum!

Thank you all for you comments and suggestions!

Jerry

Thanks Ben for you comments,

So after some research and Charlies suggestion and ordered the DBX223, and actually found it for 99.00 with free shipping!!!Now for the last Item...for now anyway, is a Sub woofer.

I will post this as a question in this forum!

Thank you all for you comments and suggestions!

Jerry

Thanks for not cluttering the thread by posting a link ...:rolleyes:

Hello Guys, Here is the link to the site where I found the DBX223. BTW, My apologies, they are not new but factory reconditioned...I just learned that now...this is not a game changer for me since I have been assembling my entire sound system with second hand ADCOM for a song!

Here is the site, and I will post comments once it is installed in my system!

DBX 223 Stereo 2-Way / Mono 3-Way Crossover

DBX 223 Features:
TRS differentially balanced ins and outs
Mode switch for stereo 2-way or mono 3-way operation
Low frequency summed (subwoofer) output
x10 range switch on both channels
40Hz high pass (low cut) filter both channels
Phase reverse switch on all outputs
Individual level controls on all outputs
24dB per octave Linkwitz-Riley filters (the professional standard)
Stereo/Mono status LEDs indicate the selected mode
dbx® 2 year parts and labor as standard
CSA NRTL/C approved
CE compliant

True that Jer, It almost wouldn't matter anyway, i think DIYers are just predisposed to tinker. I can tell you right now not all Opamps are created equal. I learned that lesson when I began modding guitar pedals....I may be installing sockets!

In anyevent, it shipped from Georgia and will arrive tomorrow.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.