diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Planars & Exotics (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/)
-   -   Some interesting findings about Stax electrostatic stators (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/197192-some-interesting-findings-about-stax-electrostatic-stators.html)

chinsettawong 24th September 2011 03:07 AM

Some interesting findings about Stax electrostatic stators

I opened up a pair of broken Stax 507 drivers a while ago. I found something unusual about the stators. On the surface of the stators, there are many small spikes. What do you think they are for?

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/t...g/DSC_2009.jpg

Wachara C.

Calvin 24th September 2011 07:00 AM

Hi,

A: spacers

jauu
Calvin

chinsettawong 24th September 2011 08:28 AM

Hi Calvin,

That's what I thought so too. How do you think Stax made those spikes? I really like to try making them on my headphone stators too.

Wachara C.

oublie 24th September 2011 08:53 AM

I'm guessing here as I've never had a broken pair to examine but there are a few ways that could possibly work.

1. punched from the other side
2. some sort of hot glue or other dry set material formed onto the stator with a mould prior to painting
3. solder? - although I don't know how they would get the size right.

chinsettawong 24th September 2011 10:47 AM

Hi Oublie,

I think they are epoxy or some kinds of plastic material, because you don't want to create any sharp edges on the stators. These spikes are actually quite stiff and they stuck to the stators quite well.

I always thought that by having spacers in the middle of the stators would somehow affect low frequencies. But even with these many spacers, the low frequencies are still very good in these drivers. Perhaps these spacers do not actually touch the diaphragm. They might just put them there to protect the diaphragm from ever touching the stators. What do you think?

geraldfryjr 24th September 2011 04:33 PM

Hi,Wachara,

What would the D/S be?

They could be too not let the diagphram stick to the stator as was suggested and can happen very easily with a very light tension.

When I pushed my little panels to the onset of stator clipping it was barely noticeable until I got passed about 5% clipping distortion.

I was not even aware that this was happening until I saw the signal on a scope from a microphone.
The little bit of distortion that I was hearing I wrote off as the amp clipping,But it was not the amp at all.

It was quite livable at that volume but I did not dare too get my ear that close like a headphone driver would be with that test.

At lower levels my little panels are wonderful for headphone drivers but they are 3 times the length that is needed.
The D/S on those is around 1.5 mm.

There were a few times in various tests that got the diagphrams to stick to the stators (mainly with low tensions),and, Just a little knudge with a toothpick through a stator hole was enough to get it to snap back even though the were still energized.

jer :)

chinsettawong 25th September 2011 08:47 AM

Hi Jer,

The D/S is only 0.35 mm and the stator width is 50 mm. The bias voltage is 580v.

It really is a wonderful, little driver. The bass goes down very deep and the treble is lovely.

Wachara C.

DaveG 25th September 2011 09:18 AM

Could the whole surface have been photo etched leaving the spikes?

Kontra 25th September 2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinsettawong (Post 2723234)
Hi Jer,

The D/S is only 0.35 mm and the stator width is 50 mm. The bias voltage is 580v.

It really is a wonderful, little driver. The bass goes down very deep and the treble is lovely.

Wachara C.

can u *.jpg full range?

SY 25th September 2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveG (Post 2723243)
Could the whole surface have been photo etched leaving the spikes?

Why not injection or compression molded? Seems the easiest way.