Apogee Speakers Construction - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2013, 10:21 PM   #81
diyAudio Member

A bit off topic, Does anyone know if Robert Dragunas is still in the Apogee picture? or has been shut down to? Al
Old 24th March 2013, 05:36 PM   #82
diyAudio Member

Default Please help with Midrange Apogee Divas

Hi, I am a new member as of today. I have a pair of 1992 Apogee Divas. Like others on this site have posted, you can no longer get to the old Apogee posts to find very useful info. I have read many posts on dyiAudio and can see there are a lot of people very knowledgeable on Apogee subjects. I hope someone can help me with a question. I have had to replace my midrange ribbons at least 9 different times in the last 20 years, as a pair, because I like to play music loud. When Apogee sold the replacement ribbons they were only $60.00 a pair. Now they are about $320.00 a pair. I bought a lot of spare replacement ribbons from Apogee, Graz, and Robert Darangus but I didnít keep them separated. Whenever I replaced my ribbons in the past they ALWAYS measured about 3.0 ohms each. As the Apogee Acousticís replacement literature states they should measure. I just replaced both midrange ribbons this weekend and they only measure 1.67 and 1.78 ohms. I checked and double checked and I installed them correctly. No shorts. My question is; will the lower resistance degrade the sound of these wonderful sounding speakers. Will they "burn out quicker" I now believe/imagine the midrange is now louder and not as full soundings, like it is playing at a higher frequency. I do not see any more movement than normal from ribbons when playing music. I am using an active crossover at 500 hz 6 db, as I have been, so I know the lower resistance isnít affecting the crossover point like it might in a passive crossover. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If anyone needs pictures of Divas apart let me know.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 24th March 2013, 05:55 PM   #83
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

Tom,

That's interesting. For the majority of users (who don't use a line-level crossover) that would create a big difference in electrical crossover IF the stock crossover remained in place.

Are you positive your resistance measuring technique and/or equipment has remained the same?

Regarding the old forum: You can still search the archives of the old-old (Audioworld) forum with a clumsy searching function on the "new" forum. The problem was some of the newer threads on the new forum were discarded not long after that forum was brought online because they contained some DIY repair information that wasn't complementary to the commercial repair model that was instituted.

Apogee's, at this point, are VERY expensive speakers......either to repair or purchase or restore.

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 24th March 2013, 06:25 PM   #84
diyAudio Member

Dave,

I replaced the ribbons one speaker at at a time. When I read 1.67 ohms on the new ribbon installed I quickly measured the other ribbon that I had not replaced yet. It measured 3.2 ohms. I believe I remember (one of the 3 people above) selling ribbons that were stated superior, more effecient and lower resistance. In your opinion will the lower resistance effect the sound quality? And thanks, I will try to find post on ribbons with less resistance in Audioworld.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 24th March 2013, 06:31 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

Hi Al,

I bought many spare ribbons from Robert Dragunas in the past but I have not been able to contact him for several years. And I have tried. I believe he no longer supplying Apogee parts or services.

Tom
Old 25th March 2013, 02:16 AM   #86
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Why are you replacing them? maybe all you need is a re-tension? I remember reading somewhere what the tension settings were for the mid and tweets...

If you are running the mid ribbons with a 6 db slope, you are likely allowing quite a bit of LF through a stressing / stretching the mid ribbon...

What are you doing with the old ribbons? Care to send them to be for a few experiments?
Old 25th March 2013, 02:30 AM   #87
diyAudio Member

Hi Tom, One thing that's very important that the amps don't emit more than a few millivolts dc especially if you run active, dc will stretch the ribbons. Also where did you get the last ribbon measuring 1.67 ohm did it come with a set?

Last edited by DeltaStar; 25th March 2013 at 02:33 AM. Reason: addon
Old 25th March 2013, 03:47 AM   #88
diyAudio Member

These are very early Graz ribbons and they are 1.8 ohms. Graz and I talked several times and I sent him samples of my midrange ribbons when he first started up. I have 6 pair of Graz ribbons, counting the ones I installed, and they all average 1.8 ohms. I have 2 pair from Apogee and they are 3.1 ohms. I should have measured before I installed them. But I wouldn't think the sound would be bad on the 1.8, I just need to turn down volume on mids. I have small samples of my old 3.0 ribbons. 2 small pieces about a foot long. I do not believe I am running my amps into clipping. My Krell 300S has lights that let me know.
Old 29th March 2013, 04:26 PM   #89
taotao is offline taotao  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Silicone fix for Apogee foam

Hey folks,

by rethinking about what I wrote here, I realized that I forgot one important part about the silicone mixture:

I used Zhermack HT33, those are two bottles, the silicone and the hardener.
I also put silicone oil into the mixture. The silicone oil is the reason, why the dryed mixture is so very soft.
If I remember correctly, I used 1 part silicone, 1 part hardener and 1/3 part silicone oil.
If you try it, do a mixture before for testing; it should be very soft, if not, put more silicone oil into it.
It's important to stir the components very thoroughly.
Suck the mixture into the syringe and do the procedure like described.
It's working perfectly.

Happy eastern to all of you.

Olaf
Old 29th March 2013, 04:38 PM   #90
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the tip !!!
I will look and see if I can find some silicone oil at the the hard ware stores and try this with the one part method as well before I try repairing my panels.

Thanks !!!

jer

Hide this!Advertise here!