Apogee Speakers Construction - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2013, 07:20 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

Yes, Thanks!!
I did find it.
Here is a great picture of it looking down on it from the top of the panel.

I can't wait until I have the room and time to repair them now !!!!!

Enjoy !!

jer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Apogee foam.jpg (163.3 KB, 264 views)
Old 16th March 2013, 08:19 PM   #62
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey, just made this contraption to get the fluid into the crevice between the diaphragm and the wooden clamp...

A basketball needle with tube and syringe...I knew I became a mechanical engineer for something...

Also bought some flowable silicone for windshield sealant, and while I was there, picked up some liquid electrical tape...looks like they may work?

Maybe I will see if I can bend the needle about 60 degrees to better get into those spots...Bingo, now bent at a 60 degree angle...good thing its stainless. Now to find out if the silicone will flow through it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010002.JPG (709.4 KB, 261 views)

Last edited by john65b; 16th March 2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 16th March 2013, 08:34 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

Just opened the tube of windsheild sealant. flows pretty nicely. Good sign.

Maybe after getting the easy side, and after drying, the diaphragm will stick to the silicone and stay put and not need the injection on the dificult side??

Maybe open a whole new thread for this fix???
Old 16th March 2013, 08:43 PM   #64
taotao is online now taotao  Germany
diyAudio Member

No Tyu, haven't got pics.

Hi Davey,
Yes, the Mods won't delete it

John, your tip is very solid, you should take care not to damage the corrugation of the foil.
With soft silicone tubes, the Chance Tod damage something is less given. Being careful, your tip oft course also is useable.

I used zermack HT 33. One point important: Once dried, it should be very soft, so the foil experiences less stress when playing music.

The top and bottom horizontal clamps (wooden block) are not siliconed, only the vertical sides are treated (in the Front and backsides of the speakers).

More tomorrow.

Regards
Olaf
Old 16th March 2013, 08:48 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

OK, removed the cover to get some good shots...I can see some voids in the gap...does anyone know how deep the recess is? Guessing 1/4"?

Interesting, mine were born on October 31st, 1988...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010003.JPG (678.6 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg P1010004.JPG (634.5 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg P1010005.JPG (652.9 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg P1010006.JPG (661.9 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by john65b; 16th March 2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 16th March 2013, 09:06 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

John, I bet your windshield sealer will get too hard once dried.
To put less stress to the foil, it's important to use something very soft.
My suggestion is working perfectly.

About doing only one side (the front); I think it's not enough if you play music a little bit louder, it will still buzz.
But try it and decide for yourself.

Applying the stuff to the back sides is not so complicated: Gravity and the flowing silicone is your friend :-)

You have to "pour" the silicone from the top, and place the Apogee, so that gravity will guide the flow downward in the gap. The tilt of the speaker should be low, so that it'll flow slowly.
You can see the backward gap looking onto the top of the speaker (with removed cover), like on Geralds Pic.

Olaf

Regards
Olaf
Old 16th March 2013, 09:16 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

OK, I see what you mean for the back...hmmm, not so complicated...let it drip down...can the same method be used for the front?

I think I have more good foam in front than I have in the back...

I have a blob of windshield sealant drying now...we will see how hard it is in a few hours...

At 49" long, 1/4" wide., and 1/16" thick, and four rails (only verticals), and back and front, we are looking at 6 cubic inches of volume (around 3.2oz), but the foam should easily take up some of that volume...

I have a tube of 1.6 oz windshield sealer...

Last edited by john65b; 16th March 2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 16th March 2013, 09:26 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

OK, something for all you...simple free tone generator...dial in your frequency...

Audio Frequency Generator FREEWARE

My Duetta Signatures kazoo between 170Hz and 310Hz...all else is fine...I wish I had this when I bought my Apogees.
Old 16th March 2013, 09:39 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

just by looking at the foam, one can't identify the fault. It might appear fine, but it still won't prevent the buzz.
Reason for that; the foam lose its' elasticity ove time. Without elasticity no damping.
The silicone brings back the damping.

Simple and effective.
:-)
Old 16th March 2013, 10:01 PM   #70
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Well john can wate....if this work out for you ...i Well Be geting a pr of Duettas Sig...I see them Now.....HeHe...
Good luck....an thanks for all pics an info....Keep Them coming

Hide this!Advertise here!