Apogee Speakers Construction - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2011, 06:33 AM   #21
ben goh is offline ben goh  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ben goh Send a message via Yahoo to ben goh
Default apogee link

Hi

Check this link

Apogee Speaker Users Website

go to repairs section and request a video on how to dismount the tweeter and bass ribbon.

Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 11:09 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

I tried that.

jer
Old 15th January 2012, 09:35 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

All the pics of the diaphragm are not very revealing on the actual layout of the aluminium vis a vis the magnets. It is easier to see this relationship on the epsilon which gave me the inspiration to change it for various magnet layouts on my latest designs. Which are much more sensitive than my older ones. I will be rebuilding all my older designs about 30 altogether. Have to buy some more MDF. I already have the magnets in abundance, and I won't be using superglue or any other type, as I might have to do more rebuilds who knows?All the best Jer.
Old 15th January 2012, 03:51 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Yes it is hard to tell because it is hidden by the frame.
I have had to repair one of those loops that had opened up and rendered the bottom half completely dead, one time.

Henry,your projects inspire me very much!
Although I am working on ESL's at the moment,I did do alot of experimenting with this stuff back in the 90's and I have been thinking about lately of building some smaller desktop models as well.
I just need to get a new stockpile of magnets.

Keep on DIYing!!!!

jer
Old 10th March 2013, 02:04 PM   #25
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Jer, just got a pair of Duetta Sigs...the bass panels sounds OK and no rattles, so I guess I really lucked out!!

From the pics, it looks like you were able to remove the speaker assembly from the frame? I would not mind taking the frames and painting them piano black (frames are the worst part of the entire speaker).

Also think as long as I am in there, replace the tweeter ribbons - I think GRAZ will sell just the tweeter ribbons for a DIY install...do these appear to be a big deal?

I have yet to do any critical listening, but happy so far...
Old 10th March 2013, 02:39 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

That is Great !!!!

The ribbons should be very easy to replace as they are just sandwich between a couple of blocks held in place with threaded holes and machine screws.

I never took them off so I don't know if there will be any glue involved making it difficult to take them apart and release the ribbon.

The Covers are held on by two screws at the bottom and the top is secured by a couple of Velcro strips.

So you must lay them down first in order to get the screws out and then it should lift right off starting from the bottom and then the velcros will peel off releasing the top.

On mine there is only two of them at the very top a little off from the center on each side.

If you need I can get some more pictures.

jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 10th March 2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10th March 2013, 02:47 PM   #27
tyu is online now tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow ...
That great on the Duettas...I had a pr in the 90s...But thay got a small buzz...Hart breaker...need i say more...
I well just stay with the stages...i can take the pain...yes you can get the tweeter-mid an do it yourself i know other that have...
An you can get a new bass an have it installed at your home...With NO moveing around get miny years if you ever get a buzz..
I say dont move them around if got them home an there not buzzing now...
good luck ..have fun...Apogges are Killer Speakers i think youll like them a lot!
Old 10th March 2013, 03:24 PM   #28
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys, yes, I looked around and read that the frames are pretty easy to remove. Like I said, the frames were the worst part - sonically they are in great condition...I want to actively biamp with my DCX2496 and play around with them. The crossover appears to be a 1khz 6db slope....I need to unhook some passive xo wiring to get them active...getting excited!!

No required tension on the tweeter foil replacement? I think the originals are OK, just thinking of replacing as they appear easy to do...no real crimps or creases anywhere on tweeters and bass panels!

Although need another project like I need a hole in my head...
Old 10th March 2013, 03:42 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

If the ribbons are good shape I would just leave them as they are.
They just rest on a bit of open celled foam, kinda like the Sonex stuff you use for wall treatments or packaging filler for shock absorption that it used for shipping hardrives.
Mine have long since dried up and withered away as dust.
I had had the schematic of the crossover somewhere in my archives but I think it still can be found on the web.

jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 10th March 2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10th March 2013, 06:31 PM   #30
tyu is online now tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

......Lot of info here an schematic of the crossover an manuls for Duetta an most others...... Apogee Speaker Users Website

Hide this!Advertise here!