Apogee Speakers Construction - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2013, 03:57 PM   #221
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Post on the fourm...or just E-mail....GraZ.....well know......he has an dose re-worket all Apogee ribbons...an mag re-lines...i have Stages an other Apogees speakers...but no not what mag are used

Last edited by tyu; 28th August 2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 30th August 2013, 05:08 AM   #222
diyAudio Member

I have been PMed this very same question "what grade of magnets are used?".

Sorry,I do not know what grade of magnets were used.

I don't know what types were available in the late 80's when they were built.

They appear to be of the same grade that used to be commonly sold at radio shack in similar sizes for $.99 ti $1.19 only thicker.
Overall they are the exact same size only thicker.

I have experimented with such magnets and they appear to be about the same strength for an equal thickness.

I had stated this info somewhere in one of the threads, But since threads very easily get buried I couldn't tell you which one it was, as it was a while ago.

I would assume they would be of grade 8.

Maybe some of the earlier models were a grade 5 or something as I have read that some of the later models may have had a higher efficiency.
But they could very well have used more of them instead for that matter.

My set was made in March of 1987.

I had made a magnetometer a while back where I could measure the filed strength but I don't have a known type that I could use to calibrate it with.

I can tell you that every time you double the thickness of a magnet of the same type you also double the lines of forces therefore doubling its strength.
Just like putting two 1.5V batteries in series you get 3V.

I can tell you that they are ceramic magnets and that is all I know about them for now until I can build a calibrated magnetometer.

FWIW

jer
Old 30th August 2013, 05:18 AM   #223
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much Jer. I will buy some ceramic magnets for replacing and I will share with you guys after finishing whole works.
Old 1st April 2014, 07:21 AM   #224
diyAudio Member

Hi all, I am Apogee fan. Anyone tell me which Vol position can Apogee Duetta Signature play best with no buzz and no cutting on high frequency on bass panel ? My Pre Amp is Aragon.

Hide this!Advertise here!