Apogee Speakers Construction - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2013, 03:57 AM   #91
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

OK. Did it.Works perfectly.Posted a "How To" on a new thread...

TAOTAO RULES!!
Old 13th April 2013, 04:13 AM   #92
diyAudio Member

Sweet!!!
It is so good to know, That I can very simply fix my panels and get them sounding nice again!!!

Thanks guys !!!

jer
Old 13th April 2013, 05:00 AM   #93
diyAudio Member

Hey jer - it was your suggestion to use that flowable silicone windshield sealer from autozone - the stuff, once mixed with silicone oil, flows and solidifies worked perfectly!! Nice and soft!
Thanks to you and taotao!

My Fix Post:

Apogee Buzz Fix

Last edited by john65b; 13th April 2013 at 05:03 AM.
Old 13th April 2013, 10:42 AM   #94
diyAudio Member

WoW, Very cool!!!!

Were did you get the Silicone oil ?

I have to experiment with this !!!!!!

jer

P.S. I just noticed your new thread, This is great news and I am so excited!!!!
I have a Friend that is in the copier repair business and I will see if he can get me some of that oil!!

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 13th April 2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 13th April 2013, 12:10 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

The stuff I used mixed perfectly with that Windshield sealer. After playing around with a solidified hunk of silicone, you can see why they used it in breast augmentation...

I dare say that these ribbons sound fantastic - does bass and HF better than my ESLs, and 95% of the mids (ESL's still have the mids).

I always wanted a speaker that had the bass slam and treble of my Tympani T-IVa's, and these Apogee Duettas are it.

Last edited by john65b; 13th April 2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 13th April 2013, 12:41 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

Also, I might make mention of one thing I found...I found the buzz by listening to female voices (Jennifer Warnes on Famous Blue Raincoat - her voice sounded extremely raspy), and it was clearly there...front and center, right on her voice.

But when I ran test tones between 150 and 350, it was much more identifiable - buzz - kazoo sound at high volumes. For the hell of it, I ran the same test tones through my CLS and lo and behold, still had some buzz sound (the lights dimmed too and the amps got HOT). So all my amps all made the CLS buzz at these frequencies(Sanders Innersound ESL Amp, ICEPower 1000 and Krell KSA-50 Clone)...

Anyway, those that are using these test tones only to fix their Apogees will find themselves chasing a problem that may not be present...don't depend on test tones only....

On the fixed DS, still have a small bit of buzz between 150hz and 300hz, but no where near the amount before the silicone fix.

If anyone would confirm these findings on other speakers, it would be great!!

Last edited by john65b; 13th April 2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 13th April 2013, 05:16 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Yes, I agree the first time I had a really good listen to them I was listening to Eric Clapton's Unplugged CD.
I can remember clearly to this day the sound of him tapping is foot on the hardwood stage was just impeccable, I felt like I was really there!!

This was the first time I had ever heard such clarity come out of a set of speakers.

But when I paired them up with my very first 8" X 22" ESL's the midrange was definitely a step above that even with the old 6V6 OPT's I was using.

I had even listened to a pair of ML's in that very same week and even they didn't impress me that much, as curved ESL's just don't no it for me at all.

Here it is 10 years later and I get them back and there was that nasty buzz I read so much about, and, I though that they were doomed.
I am glad that I have much patients in waiting to find have finally found the cure to fix them.

I will most definitely try to get to them this summer for sure now!!!

jer
Old 13th April 2013, 06:07 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

I do not know what yours look like, but maybe a retension is needed? Re-tension - re-tune the bass panels if there is a lot of sag in the bass ribbons. Have a RTA mike and tune per that German tutorial. I did not need to do anything on mine, but if mine were sagging, I would definitely try to re-tension...

Sometime it takes a few nutjobs with cahunas (like us) to try these crazy DIY ideas like this silicone drip...sometimes we win?
Old 25th April 2013, 11:23 AM   #99
tyu is online now tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Well I have been working on these Apogee Duetta Sig Bass.....An have found the the Apogee Stage Has a better upermid an vary top end.....Also the flowable silicone Buzz Fix kills some more of the uper-mid so i well Only be working on the Buzzing Spot!.....Not the hole driver...also you well get better mids-high mix... if you replace the foam on the top an bottem rales... so there not lose even if there a littel snug....this makes a big diff sound wise....but i am using the stock crossover that in Jason Bloom thinking was his best work to date....
You know with the old ....Sprague and ASC capacitors .. that i use to day still.... if i can find them....sound much better than the V-caps i have... an most others....
I am driving these Apogees with a pr SunFire300 Amps... one 300 pr speaker with some of the Best sound i have ever got out of the Duettas Sg..... these are Killer Amps......thanks for all the info

Last edited by tyu; 25th April 2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 25th April 2013, 11:41 AM   #100
diyAudio Member

Make sure you use the 1/3 silicone oil and 2/3 Permatex sealant. The resultant composite is extremely soft and pliable.

Upper mids and very top end? What frequency? The passive crossover is 6db slope first order 1000hz (I think) and there is a lot over overlap from the tweeter ribbon above 500hz.

Use a 250hz - 300hz test tone to identify the resonant buzz. You can't miss it if you have it. And don't mistake of amp clipping (distortion) and the Apogee Buzz with these test tones.

I am quite happy with my results.

Hide this!Advertise here!