Glue for aluminium to kapton

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have used the glue that you find in gold leafing kits at Michaels craft stores ,it seems to be the thinnest I have found so far.

I have used it on mylar and it worked well.
Although it was a bit of a challenge to get it to wet the mylar properly.
But once it did, it dried to a very thin sticky surface.

A few drops of Dawn Dish soap mixed in it may help this as I have used this method using Watered down PVA glue for a coating on mylar and on Plastic frames as a conductive glue for ESL's.
This wetted the mylar very nicely.

I have also had fair/good results using rubber cement but I have not tried thinning it yet before it is applied as this might work even better as it is quite thick and you have to work fast before it sets up.

Some where I had read that the glue used on the Apogees was the stuff from 3M possibly from a spray can.

My Kapton is smooth on both sides so you my already have some sort of adhesive coating on it.
Maybe a heat activated type.

Have you tried ironing it to something?
Kapton is very heat resistive and doesn't shrink like mylar does when it is heated.

Although it has been a while since I have messed with it, I think I have found that I will need to tension it mechanically in order to use it as a Planar diaghram.

jer :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.