Vastly increasing resistance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm designing a new kind of headphone driver (It's not entirely new, as it's still a diaphragm moving back and forth, but I don't think the mechanism has been used before), but I've hit a snag: resistance is only 0.03ohms. If this DOES present a problem, and it may or even probably will not, I would need to bring it up MASSIVELY with as little frequency range loss as possible.

Suggestions on how to do this?

Last edited:
...You're right. I've made a huge mistake, and you've pointed it out nicely. I'm undertaking serious construction before verifying that my theory even works as well practically as it does on paper!

Right now I should be concentrating on making it out of duct tape and tin foil. At least then I can see if it'll make sound!

Anywhere from nothing all the way up to seven whole volts!, give or take. (big range) Most normal headphone amps fall within there and exceptionally good headphone amps will pump out anywhere inside that range.
Although, if it's for performance, I'm not at all against creating a custom amp for these cans. They have different needs. Why compromise?

Last edited:
I'm sure that's the reason a linear magnetic (ribbon or otherwise) headphone driver has never been seriously considered. I really don't care. I just want to see what it sounds like for the fun of it, even if I do have to turn off the heater.

Last edited:
A Toriodal power transformer in the 200 watt or more range will allow operation down to 15hz in the voltage range you are talking about.
Using the stock 120v windings as the primary.

The low frequency performance starts to suffer below 30hz or so.
This is where core charicteristics and core size plays a big part on performance.

I started I similar study on this subject earlier this year.
I didn't follow through with it due to lack of interest and I had too many other projects going on at the time.
As I am only about half of the way through them now.

I think it is an interesting project and I believe it could work.
But there are alot of things to consider as it is very much the art of compromise in such a design.
Efficiency losses due to transformer winding DCresistance vs driver DCresistance is the hardest thing to juggle as the winding must be 1/10 that of the driver in order to come anywere's close to 90% ,this includes the feed lines as well.

Second if you are contemplating an open ribbon type of driver design then bass response will suffer greatly,However I am sure that it will sound very clean and clear upto a certain level ,But I'll bet not very loud at all.

But it would be very interesting to see what could be made out of such a technique as I always say "You will never know unless you try"! :)
I have thought of the same thing many times ,But, I just have to many pots on the stove right now.

And latley I have been sold on the elctrostatic principle and I have made my small drivers surpass their expectations as they do not need any bulky magnets to do so.

But as far as the transformers are concerned all of the same rules apply in step-down as they do in step-up designs.

Good luck, And if there is anything I can do to help I will be glad to do so!

jer :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.