Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2013, 04:45 PM   #81
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Is it a burn mark, or is it discoloration due to dirt/pollutant attraction to the white plastic. Hard in a picture to get the "full picture".

If its burning then the plug should be snipped off, the socket removed and the leads safely hard wired to the PCB.
I do believe it's a burn mark. I know the pic doesn't show it well but its brownish. Also, when I pull the plug, it's as if it has some corrosion on the post but only on the side of the burn mark. Is it possible that this is the culprit? I'll solder it directly on and post my findings. Thanks for the super fast reply.

BTW, how can I go about testing the transformer? Where can I find the specs?
Thanks again
Old 23rd June 2013, 04:55 PM   #82
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

As a service tech I have come across countless plugs like that have burned but, they are always related to a high current (and often high frequency high current) conductor.

If its suspect then hard wiring has to be the first step to eliminate it as a cause of trouble.

Testing transformers... I'll be honest... this isn't a thread I've followed. Do you mean a normal mains transformer ? Just with this being the planars and exotics thread
Old 24th June 2013, 02:40 AM   #83
diyAudio Member

So, I followed Mooly's suggestion and so far so good. It's a bit late here in Miami and my neighbor below wouldn't like it if I crank it up, but volume wasn't the issue. They would crap out even at lower volume. I'm playing some Deadmau5 through them and no problem yet. Here are some pics of the job. As you can see I clipped the plug wires and removed the posts from the board. Then soldered the wires directly to the board.

Thanks for your help/ideas. I'll be back soon as I have a few projects in the works.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130623_220329_resized_1.jpg (610.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 20130623_220351_resized_1.jpg (830.4 KB, 55 views)
Old 24th June 2013, 07:02 AM   #84
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

That plug and socket does look a bit suspect in those later pictures. Lets hope its fixed.
Old 20th October 2013, 08:54 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

I'm new to the forum. I have a brand new set of PM-9's sitting in a box for the last 4 years. Didn't come with a controller (Future Shop open box clearance). I figured I would get one off manufacturer only to find out they stopped operating. My only avenues have been web searches and ebay turning up little or no results. I abandoned my search for a long time ago. I stumbled across the set this afternoon while going through the garage. I have decided to start looking again no matter how futile it seems. I have been unable to part with the system to date and I figured I'd try and get it up and running.

If anyone out there has a spare lying around or know where I can get one, I would be extremely grateful. I'm in Toronto. You can name your price.

Thanks all, I'm looking forward to being a member!

Hide this!Advertise here!