Monsoon Planar Media 9 Audio System .Speaker Replacement - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2012, 03:33 PM   #71
diyAudio Member

question: does anybody know if the control center on the Planar media 7 will work with the planar media 9's?
Old 12th September 2012, 05:42 PM   #72
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

AFAIK, yes.

dave
Old 17th September 2012, 09:15 PM   #73
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
AFAIK, yes.

dave

Good News!!! Found a seller of the coveted Planar Media 9 control center!! no longer will i have two speakers and sub totally worthless

Last edited by bachfan77; 17th September 2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 8th November 2012, 07:51 AM   #74
diyAudio Member

Default My turn to ask for controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Don't know. Regular paying jobs 1st.

dave
I have lost the controller to my Planar 9 set. Do you still have the controller? I tossed it by accident as it was needing some soldering- the DIN plug remained in the sub but not the wires not-so-much... sound familiar?

Been trying to figure out what to do for 3 years and finally getting around to trouble-shooting (spelled g-o-o-g-l-e)

BTW I am over at 604...

Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 08:39 AM   #75
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGK View Post
I have lost the controller to my Planar 9 set. Do you still have the controller? I tossed it by accident as it was needing some soldering- the DIN plug remained in the sub but not the wires not-so-much... sound familiar?
99% of failures. Best fix is to hardwire the controller to the board (no i don't know the pin-out). I have a queue of people waiting for me to check out the controllers i have.

Quote:
BTW I am over at 604...
Over in Canada eh? You should think about traveling over to the VI Republic for diyFEST next August

dave
Old 3rd March 2013, 11:42 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

I visit here often but seldom post. I'm curious as to whether anyone might be interested in a new/unused model 9 set. I'm not selling it yet but if I do I promise to put it in the classifieds here. How much should I ask for it? BTW, I have two model 9 sets that I've enjoyed for years without any serious problems.

Oh... and I have socks plugging the ports. I like them better sealed.

Last edited by TinEars; 3rd March 2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 4th March 2013, 09:24 AM   #77
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinEars View Post
How much should I ask for it?
That Auction Site(tm) provides some idea of going rates but it depends on where you are. Postage is a killer for Monsoon-o-philes and can cost as much as the final price if you're not shipping next door.
Old 4th March 2013, 02:39 PM   #78
diyAudio Member

Thank you. I did look there but there are too many BIN auctions, partial bits and different models so I'm still unsure of value. I'm in no hurry so I'll just keep looking.
Old 23rd June 2013, 04:18 PM   #79
diyAudio Member

Default Monsoon power issues

Hello, I'm Al and I stumbled across this forum by accident and I love it. A great source of info on all things audio.

I too have the Monsoon Planar Media 9 system and the problem I'm having is as follows: When I power them on, after a minute or so the power and power LED starts to fade away until the unit is off. By accident, I discovered that if I bump the sub-woofer, or lift it 1/2 inch or so and drop it flat, the power returns for a bit. Then the issue starts all over again and eventually they never power on again until a few hours later. I opened the system to see if there was anything obvious and the only thing I found strange is that the white plastic plug from the transformer has a small burn mark on the side closest to the center. The fuse is OK and everything else seems normal. So, could anyone please give me ANY idea as to why/how bumping or dropping the enclosure could bring it back to life? What component could be sensitive to vibration? Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

PS: I attached a pic of the plug and you can see the burn mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monsoon Transformer Plug.jpg (212.6 KB, 35 views)
Old 23rd June 2013, 04:31 PM   #80
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Is it a burn mark, or is it discolouration due to dirt/pollutant attraction to the white plastic. Hard in a picture to get the "full picture".

If its burning then the plug should be snipped off, the socket removed and the leads safely hard wired to the PCB.

Hide this!Advertise here!