Monsoon Planar Media 9 Audio System .Speaker Replacement - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2012, 03:16 PM   #51
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

During cleanup i set out the Monsoons (from the box of what should be working ones). Media 7 & 9 woofers/amps, 2 MH502 sats for Media 7, 8 planar sats for Media 9. 1 controller (i'm guessing it is a working one)

dave
Old 25th August 2012, 07:40 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

Default Planar 9 puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachfan77 View Post
planar media9 issue: can this play without the control puck? I opened the sub; fuse looks good still nothing; hook up the speakers to the sub with headphone plug to computer/iphone nothing? any ideas- really would love to get this working again.
The puck has both the volume control and the mute circuit.

IE the signal goes out to the puck and back again - the mute provides a DC signal to turn the amp on and off. (IIRC it's 5V for on, 5V off - but don't quote me).

If you can't find a puck I'll buzz mine out - I very much doubt there's anything active in it other than the LED - just two pots and a switch.
Old 28th August 2012, 07:57 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Default thanks for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoglette View Post
The puck has both the volume control and the mute circuit.

IE the signal goes out to the puck and back again - the mute provides a DC signal to turn the amp on and off. (IIRC it's 5V for on, 5V off - but don't quote me).

If you can't find a puck I'll buzz mine out - I very much doubt there's anything active in it other than the LED - just two pots and a switch.
So; I read that if you connect the two speakers to the bass module and run the headphone jack to your computer you'll get sound. I tried this with no success; David- I will be ready to proceed shortly have your returned from your trip.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (3.5 KB, 85 views)
Old 29th August 2012, 02:34 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Default System 9 de-pucked

Quote:
So; I read that if you connect the two speakers to the bass module and run the headphone jack to your computer you'll get sound. I tried this with no success; David- I will be ready to proceed shortly have your returned from your trip.
No - the System 9 puck has a mute function which turns off the amplifiers and the audio goes via the puck. No puck, no noise.

The MH-502 puck is just an in-wire volume control between the source and the amplifier system. It can be bypassed completely.
Old 29th August 2012, 12:18 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No - the System 9 puck has a mute function which turns off the amplifiers and the audio goes via the puck. No puck, no noise.

The MH-502 puck is just an in-wire volume control between the source and the amplifier system. It can be bypassed completely.
understand; hopefully planet10 can hook me up
Old 30th August 2012, 01:51 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Quote:
understand; hopefully planet10 can hook me up
Yup - took mine apart last night and there's a lot more in there than I expected. Lots of passives and an 8pin IC (dual op amp?)

Photos later
Old 30th August 2012, 12:37 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Default System 9 puck

Quote:
Photos later
Top and bottom of puck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg puck_bottom.jpg (133.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg puck_top.jpg (77.2 KB, 57 views)
Old 30th August 2012, 12:50 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Top and bottom of puck
the puck I have is fine it is the other end which plugs into the sub is destroyed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1531.jpg (580.3 KB, 55 views)
Old 30th August 2012, 02:42 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

Default Jesus, Mary and Joseph!

Quote:
the puck I have is fine it is the other end which plugs into the sub is destroyed
Ah, well, that'll be the problem then!

The connectors are a dime a dozen MMSC 8-pin Mini–DIN Connector. If yours is completely banjax I can buzz out mine from the connector on the PCB to the mini-DIN
Old 30th August 2012, 02:59 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

appreciate you willingness to help; however it appears that the cable is available however when you trace the cable to the control center it appears to be soldered into the board; so leads to the question how does one use a different cable to connect?

Hide this!Advertise here!