Monsoon Planar Media 9 Audio System .Speaker Replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it a burn mark, or is it discoloration due to dirt/pollutant attraction to the white plastic. Hard in a picture to get the "full picture".

If its burning then the plug should be snipped off, the socket removed and the leads safely hard wired to the PCB.

I do believe it's a burn mark. I know the pic doesn't show it well but its brownish. Also, when I pull the plug, it's as if it has some corrosion on the post but only on the side of the burn mark. Is it possible that this is the culprit? I'll solder it directly on and post my findings. Thanks for the super fast reply.

BTW, how can I go about testing the transformer? Where can I find the specs?
Thanks again

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
As a service tech I have come across countless plugs like that have burned but, they are always related to a high current (and often high frequency high current) conductor.

If its suspect then hard wiring has to be the first step to eliminate it as a cause of trouble.

Testing transformers... I'll be honest... this isn't a thread I've followed. Do you mean a normal mains transformer ? Just with this being the planars and exotics thread :)

So, I followed Mooly's suggestion and so far so good. It's a bit late here in Miami and my neighbor below wouldn't like it if I crank it up, but volume wasn't the issue. They would crap out even at lower volume. I'm playing some Deadmau5 through them and no problem yet. Here are some pics of the job. As you can see I clipped the plug wires and removed the posts from the board. Then soldered the wires directly to the board.

Thanks for your help/ideas. I'll be back soon as I have a few projects in the works.

:drink:

Attachments

• 20130623_220329_resized_1.jpg
    20130623_220329_resized_1.jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 239
  • 20130623_220351_resized_1.jpg
    20130623_220351_resized_1.jpg
    830.4 KB · Views: 239
I'm new to the forum. I have a brand new set of PM-9's sitting in a box for the last 4 years. Didn't come with a controller (Future Shop open box clearance). I figured I would get one off manufacturer only to find out they stopped operating. My only avenues have been web searches and ebay turning up little or no results. I abandoned my search for a long time ago. I stumbled across the set this afternoon while going through the garage. I have decided to start looking again no matter how futile it seems. I have been unable to part with the system to date and I figured I'd try and get it up and running.

If anyone out there has a spare lying around or know where I can get one, I would be extremely grateful. I'm in Toronto. You can name your price.

Thanks all, I'm looking forward to being a member!

monsoon planar media schematics

All these years and all the posts and so many people looking for the schematics of these monsoon planar 9 and 14 speaker systems. So here they are. I hope this helps anyone who are still trying to fix their controller or sun. I'd like part numbers in return. The micro switch on the controller in particular. Enjoy...

Attachments

• monsoonsubwoofer schematic.pdf
    146.5 KB · Views: 244
Many thanks!

So here they are. I hope this helps anyone who are still trying to fix their controller or su. I'd like part numbers in return. The micro switch on the controller in particular. Enjoy...

Will do.
Beer.gif
In addition to some bad HUMMMMM someone just snapped off the connector from the puck cable. So some work to do.

I was going to just start replacing capacitors to hunt the hum but that schematic suggests a whole bunch of ways to cut the Gordian knot and reduce the workload!

#1 suspect is Vref

Last edited:
If it's practical, I'd like to find an amplifier that I could use to drive just the Planar sats, separate from the sub. It'd be primarily for voice content, not music, as they obviously don't have bass. I don't know if this would really be worth it or not, but thought I'd ask.

Do they even make powered amplifiers with RCA connectors as the primary output? It seems most power amps have their primary outputs as speaker wire connectors. I guess speaker wire to female RCA is possible?: Amazon.com: Stereo RCA L/R Phono to Speaker Wire Adaptor for Amp Receiver: Home Audio & Theater

If it's practical, I'd like to find an amplifier that I could use to drive just the Planar sats, separate from the sub. It'd be primarily for voice content, not music, as they obviously don't have bass. I don't know if this would really be worth it or not, but thought I'd ask.

The satellites with the planar + small conventional drivers work perfectly as described.

The larger, planar only satellites work but apparently need to be put into a baffle (or boosted) to produce that 200hz to 800hz range. (I have a set but haven't tried them on their own, only with the Monsoon sub & eq).

And you can quite happily re-terminate the wires. Or get an adapter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.