Service manual for an ESS AMT 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2011, 03:57 PM   #1
vmcfer is offline vmcfer  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Service manual for an ESS AMT 3

Hello,

I am looking for a service manual to repair one of my ESS AMT 3 tweeter.
Does anybody knows where I can find one?

Thanks,
Victor
Old 6th July 2011, 04:34 PM   #2
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Check out this thread over at AK ESS AMT 3 Crossover Schematic - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Hope this will be of some help. What is wrong with the tweeter? If the diaphragm is blown you can get replacements at Parts Express. Parts-Express.com ? ESS Labs ? Air-Motion Transformer, Heil, Replacement Driver, Ribbon Tweeter, Replacement Diaphragms, AMT.
Old 6th July 2011, 09:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello c2cThomas,
Thank you. I have a pair of the AMT 3 and one was broken during the transportation. I was wondering if it is possible to repair it, but for this job I would like to get a service manual.
Cannot find any vendor of this documents even I don't know if this exist.
Best regards,
Victor
Old 6th July 2011, 10:08 PM   #4
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmcfer View Post
Hello c2cThomas,
Thank you. I have a pair of the AMT 3 and one was broken during the transportation.
I had the same thing happen to my AMT1's and would up building an entirely different speaker from the parts. The good news is that the carrier that damaged the speakers paid me for them. I had to give them the damaged speakers but I managed to keep the Heil AMT mid/tweeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmcfer View Post
I was wondering if it is possible to repair it, but for this job I would like to get a service manual.
Cannot find any vendor of this documents even I don't know if this exist.
Best regards,
Victor
Contact Ricky ESS - ESS Laboratories USA
He might be able to help????

If it doesn't work out I have some ideas that I would do with the Heil on top - a 5 or 6 inch mid-range in it's own separate enclosure and sitting on top of a small tapped horn for the low end. I'm thinking of building a set myself but have to many other things in line at the moment
Old 6th July 2011, 10:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hello c2cThomas,
Thanks you for the comment.
I already contact Ricky and wait for an answer. I let you know.
My idea is to use the 2 tweeter in a hybrid assembly based on d'Apolito design.
Best regards,
Victor
Old 6th July 2011, 11:07 PM   #6
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Take a look at this speaker - the base units that match them are on a different page. Use the Heil AMT in place of their tweeter and it could be a winner. I was able to listen to a set of the Pyra Bella 7's and they are a very good speaker! They were paired with a separate pair of stereo sub-woofers for the bottom end.

Bella 7 - Products - High Emotion Audio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg High Emotion Audio b5.jpg (23.3 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg High Emotion Audio b7.jpg (25.4 KB, 117 views)
Old 6th July 2011, 11:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Wow that looks interesting. What kind of speaker they use for the mid-range do you think to use? Victor
Old 7th July 2011, 01:22 AM   #8
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Welllllll - it looks like this one https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=8766

But I would take that with a grain of salt. The tweeters that High Emotion Audio uses are very efficient - they say on the order of 104 db and matching those up to a 88db woofer I would think cause some serious mismatching that would need to be addressed in the crossover (to bring the sensitivity of the tweeter down). I would go for a pro-sound 6.5 inch driver like this one B&C SPEAKERS

BTW - here is what the entire system looks like - plus HEA uses their own designed crossover for a couple of more grand. Totaled up two sets of speakers plus the crossover go for around $14K.

Credit for the photo goes to Wizard at http://cybwiz.blogspot.com/2010/11/h...rmaf-2010.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg High Emotion Audio Pyra Bella 7 system.jpg (42.0 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by c2cthomas; 7th July 2011 at 01:31 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!