0.6my aluminium ribbon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi A.Wayne
helper magnets idea came from guys at e-magnets.co.uk, they suggested to close the magnetic path between two steel bars (distance setting, so eg. 40mm wide ribbon between 10mm thick neos will require 60mm thick stack of helper neo's) with a stack of magnets as they will help to alleviate field strength drop in the middle of the ribbon length. In effect additional field off helper magnets will add to the field, observe the polarity thou, it has to be reversed in relation to front magnets! I will post a picture tomorrow.

Peter

Helper magnet diagram

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 527
Well actually, for 40mm ribbon I only need a stack of 6 x10mm thick magnets in any shape, disc, square whatever, I just used some leftover and cracked ones. Besides neos are not going to saturate like steel so you can use less I suppose. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure somebody else tried it before me.

To get the ribbon centered in the magnetic field, I pulled a thread from front to back of magnet.When the thread runs through the middle of the ribbon, it is easy to center. The thread is at my thumb

Attachments

• Foto 87.jpg
    Foto 87.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
pure gold ribbon. 20mm*170mm 10 ohm. I guess the gold i thin :D.

Do you know the thickness of the god leaf? Is the gold leaf stronger than aluminium leaf? Does your gold ribbon sound better than an Al ribbon?

I am asking because yesterday night I tested a 0.8 micron flat ribbon (12mm * 200mm) without backing paper or mylar. I had to wear a breathing mask not to destroy it during the installation. Sounded awesome. Most extended FR (> 40KHz) and lowest distortions I measured so far.

Bruno

Do you know the thickness of the god leaf? Is the gold leaf stronger than aluminium leaf? Does your gold ribbon sound better than an Al ribbon?

I am asking because yesterday night I tested a 0.8 micron flat ribbon (12mm * 200mm) without backing paper or mylar. I had to wear a breathing mask not to destroy it during the installation. Sounded awesome. Most extended FR (> 40KHz) and lowest distortions I measured so far.

Bruno

it is almost too thin, it is the metal that can be thinnest. you can see light through.It is too difficult to work with. Aluminum is better, and obviously much cheaper.

Working on new 2-way ribbon, with cone woofer. finished the midrange ribbon
7my alu one paper, 75cm long 12,5 cm wide. The tweeter will be 12mm*750mm. the woofer AE dipole 18".

Attachments

• foto-12.jpg
    foto-12.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 418
  • foto-11.jpg
    foto-11.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:
Working on new 2-way ribbon, with cone woofer. finished the midrange ribbon
7my alu one paper, 75cm long 12,5 cm wide. The tweeter will be 12mm*750mm. the woofer AE dipole 18".

Beautiful craftsmanship!

Has anyone been able to find somewhere to buy aluminum magnet wire? I've been building some planar speakers using copper wire. I'd love to switch to aluminum but I can't find enamel covered aluminum anywhere.

Cheers,
Jason

Beautiful craftsmanship!

Has anyone been able to find somewhere to buy aluminum magnet wire? I've been building some planar speakers using copper wire. I'd love to switch to aluminum but I can't find enamel covered aluminum anywhere.

Cheers,
Jason
.5 mm enamelled coloured aluminium wire @wires.co.uk internet only special offers, coloured craft wires, 15 metres .80 pence.;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.