ESL "matching" Help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2003, 05:14 AM   #1
VictorG is offline VictorG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default ESL "matching" Help

With the help of countless individuals from this forum, peticularly Sheldon Stokes and Russ Knotts, I stand within stikining distance of a beutiful pair of ESL hybrids. Of course I am an idiot, and am having a problem and so I look to the collective wisdom of this forum to point out my peticular lack of intellegence on this occasion.

A few basics:
ESL panels using ESL info xchange stepups
50:1 transformers
Crossed at 225 Hz

Crossed to the Peerless CSX 8 inchers (beautiful sound by the way in sealed setup)

All powered by a Hafler 500, 225 watts to each chanel, and more body than I have ever owned in an amp.

The problem:

The "balance" between the sound output of the woofers and the panels seem to be off. The moronic termonology "the panels seem quieter than the bass", or maybe "the bass from the woofers is overpowering the panels".

Alone of course, the panels sound beautiful, save the fact there is no bass.

Now I noticed the following: the "off" impedance of the woffers and panels is 6 and 8 respectivly. So is more power being given to the woofers due to this difference in resistance, and if so can i just add a 2 ohm in seris??

Also, if raise the step up voltage another notch, will this help at all?

Thank you for the help again.

Brian
Old 15th August 2003, 07:52 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I am not sure what exactly is your situation but the only good solution is a separate amp for the panels. Raising the step-up (and polarising) voltage will certainly help but be careful as this will very likely induce sparking
Old 15th August 2003, 12:38 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I agree with analog- biamping is the best approach for hybrids. And you may want to closely examine the eq you're using for the ESL panel (you ARE using eq, aren't you?); textbook approaches do not always give the right results in the real world. Measuring the panel output may give you some surprises.
Old 15th August 2003, 01:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default ESL details

Hi Brian,
How big is your ESL panel. What is the size and is it made up of small panels. Did you use 12 micron Mylar ?
I would like to have some details as I have been planning on building one myself. I have everything except the stators. Details of your ESl would come in very handy. Can you put up a picture?
Thanks.
Ashok.

Hide this!Advertise here!