Newbe Question: ESL bias power supply - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2011, 04:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Newbe Question: ESL bias power supply

I am gearing up to building a set of ESL loosely based on Jazzman’s construction techniques, utilizing the D/S of 1/16’ spacing of the C 6 um film under high tesnion. I will ultimately have the stators powder coated.

My question is: how much power is optimum to run these panels at nominal to higher volumes (and I know this is subjective). The second question is in regards to the bias power supply. I would like to have the flexibility of a variable power supply described by Mark Rehorst http://mark.rehorst.com/ESLs/esl_bias_supply.html however, the question: Is it possible to use the variable low voltage section of the circuit (ran in parallel with C-3) to feed another EMCO G-40 module ultimately to supply bias power to the other panel. My thoughts are that this would supply equal and variable bias power to both panels simultaneously? Can one module supply bias power to both panels, or do I really need to build two power supplies?

Thanks In advance,
Jerry
Old 5th June 2011, 06:13 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I forgot to mention that the proposed sizes of the panel will be 18x48".
Old 5th June 2011, 07:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, you can use one bias supply.
But you must use a atleast a 10meg ohm or greater in series with the diagrham lead and also feeding the stepup transformer center tap other wise you will get crosstalk between the two panels and this will hurt your stereo imaging.

Once you get your panels up and running try it and you will see what I mean.
The resistors values can be found experimently.

But it is best to have seperate supply's so that the transformers can be kept close to the panels so that you don't have any wires with high tension on them lying on the floor as the voltage can creep into other pieces of equipment.

I have had this happen luckily I didn't lose any thing but I did lose one of my little woofers once when a hightension feed line got too close the wire feeding the woofer and pop the voice coil.

jer
Old 5th June 2011, 07:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Besides the crosstalk I once wired up three of my panels together on one chanel using my variable supply and by Just varing the voltage caused a shift in volume from one panel to another.
By adding the isolation resistor All 3 panels worked in unison at the same volume level when the bias voltage was varied.

jer
Old 5th June 2011, 09:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that advice Jer,

Can I ask what size/area panel, and D/S distance spacing are you using for the bias voltage?

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 5th June 2011, 10:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

right now I am using my little panels of 3.25" X 9.75" diagphram size with a d/s of around .070" to .075" (i think it was .072").

this is the exploded view and a close up of the stator.

jer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ready%20to%20be%20bolted%20back%20together.jpg (43.7 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg P1120327.JPG (79.0 KB, 151 views)

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 5th June 2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 5th June 2011, 10:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

here is some more pics and the setup I was referring to.

Material for ESL

There are a bunch more.
I guess I need to take the time and recompile my list of links and put it in the permenent thread.

How to construct a cube louver (Acoustat)

ESL Diaphragm coating
jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 5th June 2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 6th June 2011, 04:33 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Dochungwell,

To make a pair of hybrid ESL, following what Jazzman's construction technics can't go wrong. About the spacer thickness, I think 1 to 1.5 millimeters is good enough. The bias voltage can be around 2-2.5KV for each 1 mm.

Good luck.

Wachara C.
Old 6th June 2011, 05:33 AM   #9
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

I also have a newbee question :

How do you test the output voltage ?
I tried even with a 10M high voltage probe.
It still overloads the circuit too much, that I get nowhere near the 2kV i expected.

Thx,
Patrick
Old 6th June 2011, 05:51 AM   #10
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

10Meg is the typical impedance of a multimeter and way too low to measure HV of a Bias supply. The currents are too large and the load forces the voltage down. For measuring HV think of impedance values in the Giga-range. Simplest is to solder a chain of 100 pcs of 10Meg resistors and measure the voltage over one or a couple of the ´lowest´ resistors and calculate the voltage after the resistor-divider-formula Vmes=Vbias*Rmes/Rcomplete (with Rmes beeing the parallel from the resistor measured over and the multimeters internal impedance).
This method doesn´t give exact values, but You are close enough.

jauu
Calvin

Hide this!Advertise here!