Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2013, 10:24 PM   #131
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

I did a test many years ago, not without deficits in the set up, but a considerable amount of work went into it.

I took a standard Acoustat 9" or 8" 4 foot high cell and fabricated two exponential curves, one for each side of the cell... exactly the same height as the cells. The cells were fastened to the rear of the horn curves, left and right. The combination stood on the floor. flat wood cover on top.

The flare and mouth size was suitable for 300 hz., notwithstanding the height, which might have lowered the lowest freq. Dunno how that ought to work.

Problem was I could detect no benefit, no particular change in the response, by ear. At that time I had no accurate means to check the freq response... but there was nothing audible that screamed "test my frequency response".

I abandoned that approach.
Old 14th August 2013, 12:10 AM   #132
diyAudio Member

Cool...Did you happen to notice if the highs extended further to the sides than without the horn setup?

jer
Old 14th August 2013, 02:10 PM   #133
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Good question.

My recollection was that it had no beneficial effects. Which was dismaying after all the work that went into fabricating these two big curvy things.

I would have expected some difference in the way that some frequencies "bounced" off the sides, but I don't recall noting this. I may have not really taken note, since the main effect, a boost somewhere in the frequency response was not found.

You could do a preliminary test with just two flat boards of sufficient size, they being a "conic horn" and pretty easy to set up.

My sense of it is that the highs are much more beamy than people think on a typical ESL. I've taken my Acoustats in years past outside for a listen, and they are stunningly beamy, and the highs do not extend off axis!! It's the ambient reflections in the room that give the sense of decent of axis HF response in the main. If you haven't tried outside with some ESLs, ur in for a big surprise there. Shows instantly the effects of the room.

Hide this!Advertise here!