Ribbon Low-End Response - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2011, 01:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Ribbon Low-End Response

This is a repost as it didn't make sense to post this where I previously did.

I'm just getting into this DIY ribbon business and as of now I have a few ribbon prototypes up and running. My main focus right now is pushing the bass response of the ribbons as low as possible. Whats the lowest anyone here has gotten their ribbon to go? Is there a practical limit that everyone has conceded to (given the ribbon width vs resistance limitations)? Obviously I could make a 3-inch wide ribbon but it would be prohibitively long and thus require a huge number of magnets.
Old 31st May 2011, 01:58 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default low end response.

I have been building full range planars for 20 years now from large ones 7' high to my latest smallest design using 23 micron mylar A. 60 x 40 cms which go down to 20 Hz. I don't know if this is of any interest to you?.
Old 31st May 2011, 02:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Henry, that certainly seems very neat indeed. Do you have any pictures?

I actually was thinking more about ribbons, fastened to the frame only on the short ends though.
Old 1st June 2011, 08:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

If you go to DIY PLANARS USING NEOS you will find plenty of pictures, and if you look thro' all the planar posts you will find more.It's easier to build a full range planar , no crossover no transformers just great sound in 1 package weighing 5 kilos. I have 9 of my small 60 x 40 cm speakers hanging of my ceiling and also 2 4' x 2' using ferrites as the main speakers and 2 2' x 2' using ferrites as my sub woofers, as part of my 9-2 surround set up with my new AV Receiver.

Last edited by JAMESBOS; 1st June 2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 1st July 2011, 04:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Real ribbon low-end response is an oxymoron, like "postal service" and "military intelligence". That's why people turn to planar dynamics.
Old 1st July 2011, 04:58 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

What's the limiting factor?
Old 1st July 2011, 05:00 AM   #7
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclecamper View Post
Real ribbon low-end response is an oxymoron, like "postal service" and "military intelligence". That's why people turn to planar dynamics.
Hehe - good one!

Andy
Old 1st July 2011, 06:08 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Ribbon width is one of the main limiting factors. jer
Old 1st July 2011, 02:06 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes, the ribbon width being so much smaller than a wavelength and inability to seal the air path around the sides of the ribbon, allowing air movement between the front and back of the ribbon which cancels instead of propagating. If you put a sealing suspension on those sides, then it is called a planar dynamic.
Old 1st July 2011, 03:31 PM   #10
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclecamper View Post
Yes, the ribbon width being so much smaller than a wavelength and inability to seal the air path around the sides of the ribbon, allowing air movement between the front and back of the ribbon which cancels instead of propagating. If you put a sealing suspension on those sides, then it is called a planar dynamic.
Magnet position:

Planer dynamic is magnets behind perforated plate , ribbon magnets on the side , front and back open.

You can make a PP ribbon ( magnets front and back no plate/ use bars ) as per Yankee ribbon or PP planer magnetic ( plates and magnets front and back) . The best planer magnetic bass driver has to be from apogge much better than magnapan, difficult to do , but worth the effort IMO.

regards,

Hide this!Advertise here!