diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Planars & Exotics (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/)
-   -   Bending wave speaker (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/189098-bending-wave-speaker.html)

JonasKarud 16th May 2011 07:15 AM

Bending wave speaker

3 Attachment(s)
Im interested to know what you diy:ers think about this wave bending design!
A mylar membrane is mounted taut in a metal frame, and an alu conductor is glued in a upside down U-shaped
form on the mylar. The amp/crossover is connected to the protruding ends visible at the the bottom.
The iron pole pieces has two rows of forty five 10mm dia neo magnets, 3 mm thickness, the round type because of sound wave diffraction.

Membrane thickness: 6-12 uM
Conductor cross area: 2 mm X 0.005 mm
DC resistance: 5 Ohms

LineArray 17th May 2011 12:31 AM

Hi,

the design seems pretty simple and straightforward.

You should build it, surely there will be options for
refinement after first tests.

CLS 17th May 2011 12:34 AM

Very interesting idea! But I guess the asymmetry drive would yield pretty high 2nd order HD, no? And there would be some cavity issues around the magnet structure...

What's your views about comparisons between this and NXT?

kach22i 20th May 2011 08:28 PM

I have something similar in my sketch book from last year. Inspired by several other existing technologies and applied to a bending wave speaker. Mine is different, but in the details not the overall concept.

Good luck with this project, for now my energy is going in a different direction. I'm hoping to get back to this idea in a few years.

The attraction of this design is the way it would interact with the room. Not so much energy hitting the floor and ceiling, and acting more like a line array than a spherical wavefront from a single point source.

If I remember my notes correctly, the top and bottom termination points could be problematic and may require additional refinement time.

EDIT-1: I also looked into having the linear vertical driver all the way to one side. The intent here would to be eliminate side wall reflections altogether by having all the energy radiate inward towards the listener. There are times where a narrow soundstage would come in handy, but the uneven loading was worrisome.

EDIT-2: I do notice the driving element at about the 1/3rd point, my sketches involved that, the midpoint and off all the way to the frame edge. I have no idea which would sound best in the end, but would like to try them all. Just so much time and money to go around. Try the way you have it first, follow your intuition.

JonasKarud 21st May 2011 12:02 PM

Thanks for replying!

I'll build a smaller version for testing.....and maybe fill the magnetic assy cavities with some sound absorbing material.