Magneplanar mg-1 ($70)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i picked them up (pair) at a yard sale today, figured they might make me rich (ooooooh electrostats i thought)), but after a brief google search im starting to wonder if i wasted my money :usd:

they look in good shape, i havent tried playing any music thru them yet.

are they any good if they're working, or is the mg-1 more work them love compared to so many other fine speakers these days?

...better put down that soldering iron until you can tell the difference between an electrostat and a planar magnetic :)

Old Magenpans are failure prone... the voice coils are known to go open circuit or detach from the diaphragm. They are repairable by the DIYer and there is a wealth of advice and instruction available. The ones you buy at garage sales usually need repair. The ones you buy at an estate sale might work since the the rest of the estate often has no idea whether they are electrostatic or planar magnetic :)

errrmmmmmm WOW !

They work, FLAWLESSLY (for now)

I'm feeling pretty good right now, family went out so i thought what the heck, ill get em out of the van and plug em in...

just to see.

Ive been reading about all the problems (no tweeter, buzzing sounds, no bass etc)

and was pretty disappointed about wasting my money and perhaps having to spend more to fix them, or scrapping them.

it seems my pair have none of the common problems?

AND they sound REALLY good. ????

midrange is beautiful extremely detailed and absolutely non fatiguing/offensive, highs are sweet, bass is there and very detailed

now i have another problem,

sell them before they quit working or find somewhere to put them in this tiny house???

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

:)

Last edited:
about 30 minutes in to a cd that i didnt particularly like, (the cd has a couple tracks on it i did enjoy) and was in the cd player when i hit 'play'

I've REALLY enjoyed the whole cd !!!!!!!!!!

and the only reason that can be, is because these speakers are doing something right....

very right..

this is crazy. in 30 years of enjoying music, i have never heard sound like this, and its via a portable sony cd player, and a very basic ss amp.

maybe its because im about 10 feet from them, and they are aimed straight at me equally while i surf the www in a recliner?

Ive now switched to a cd i like a lot,

details and subtleties ive never heard before are popping out all over the place!!!???

i admit, ive always used mediocre/modest equipment and only ever heard expensive stuff very briefly in/at demos., but to listen to my music, through my system, in my chair, in my room, through these speakers,

is changing the rules.....

the separation between the instruments is absurd, its no longer a band being recorded together and it sounding like that, one 'container' of sound.

its now several musicians playing separately, but together, and it sounds like that, i can hear nuance and subtleties and separation and details and tones and intention of each player, in each bar......

crazy.......

excuse my effervesence.......

and my spelling :D

hmm the plot thickens,

i bumped into the guy that sold me the magnepans an hour ago, he told me he had the amp to go with the speakers, its a hafler dh 220

http://www.hafler.com/techsupport/pdf/DH-220_amp_man.pdf

i bought it.

the guy also told me, that the old guy who owned the Magnepans had them 'upgraded' at some point.

I have no idea who did the work, or what they did?

but i now own a hafler dh 220.

im excited, confused and broke.....:wave:

any advise/guidance appreciated........

Now you will have to build an amp and CD to do them justice :D

ive seen people write,

"the speakers completely get out of the way"

or 'disappear'

well i always kinda thought 'yea right' hows that going to happen, the sound is emanateing from the speaker.

the last song i heard before i went out today was,

YouTube - Buddy Guy - Done Got Old live at Montreux 2004

I had to do a few double takes,

speakers completely disappeared, it was like the sounds (voice and guitar) were coming from thin air somewhere near/around the speakers

but not from the speakers.

weird....

There are no nice 4 inchers that will sound remotely similar...you lucked into a superb deal and it has opened up an entirely new musical experience for you. Walk away now & you will regret it for the rest of your life.

sigh,

your right, i have never heard anything like these ever, and ive been pretty serious about music and sound (and a musician) for 30 years.

I know what your saying, but to really take advantage of these, id need a room, a dedicated locked room, and id need to make/have time to sit and listen, AND probably change my musical taste/preference from Zeppelin and Jazz-funk, to classical :eek:

none of which is likely any time soon.

I suppose i could build a plywood case and store them for 20 years until im an old man? i could hang them from the ceiling and hope the teenager doesnt blow them up one day when im out listening to her 'screamo' bands , and the 9 year old doesnt put a ball/stick through them while im in.

this is a family home, a small family home.

not the right place for these extraordinary speakers.

id LOVE to get them out right now (i put them away safely earlier)

but id worry if i left the room

and i dont want to live like that

what to do?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Now that you got the "Bug", get the less intrusive MMGs, or the MMG-W (mounts to the wall like a shutter - but you will need a sub)

I got the bug years ago, sold my B&Ws and went from SMGa - MMG - MGIIIa - Tympani IVa

Also had the MMGw, MG.5QR, 2.6R....but I love my Tympanis...last speaker I will ever own.

Now that you got the "Bug", get the less intrusive MMGs, or the MMG-W (mounts to the wall like a shutter - but you will need a sub)

I got the bug years ago, sold my B&Ws and went from SMGa - MMG - MGIIIa - Tympani IVa

Also had the MMGw, MG.5QR, 2.6R....but I love my Tympanis...last speaker I will ever own.

im not certain i want 'the' bug. from what ive seen, its EXTREMELY expensive and never ends.

but yes, 'that sound' is still with me today....

this is a family home, a small family home.
not the right place for these extraordinary speakers.

If you want something smaller, trade them in, I would highly recommend Apogee Stage (I own some) or better still Apogee Caliper - replacements bass and mid/treble panels are available.

AND probably change my musical taste/preference from Zeppelin and Jazz-funk, to classical :eek:

The Apogee's play rock too :D

The Apogee Caliper is a very fine speaker. So is Apogee Duetta. For similar money there is one more magical.
The Quad ESL-57 is the most transparent dipole speaker I ever owned or listened to.
These are very old and many (if not majority) require restoration.

Diva's are on my wish list, but we're back to the size problem.
I agree about the ESL-57, love em for acoustic and vocal, but they don't do rock at volume.

I agree about the ESL-57, love em for acoustic and vocal, but they don't do rock at volume.
I listened to the ladies of Heart (Dreamboat Annie) on vinyl, I sit close, they are like giant headphones but better than any that I own.

I'm sure Divas are great, haven't seen any in 20 years.
Quad ESL-63 are good too and play louder with more bass.
Tried the SMG too but the treble ribbon died.
There are no losers in this group, just louder, sweeter or deeper bass.

Status
Not open for further replies.