Magneplanar mg-1 ($70)

Status
Not open for further replies.
sigh,

your right, i have never heard anything like these ever, and ive been pretty serious about music and sound (and a musician) for 30 years.

I know what your saying, but to really take advantage of these, id need a room, a dedicated locked room, and id need to make/have time to sit and listen, AND probably change my musical taste/preference from Zeppelin and Jazz-funk, to classical :eek:

none of which is likely any time soon.

I suppose i could build a plywood case and store them for 20 years until im an old man? i could hang them from the ceiling and hope the teenager doesnt blow them up one day when im out listening to her 'screamo' bands , and the 9 year old doesnt put a ball/stick through them while im in.

this is a family home, a small family home.

not the right place for these extraordinary speakers.

id LOVE to get them out right now (i put them away safely earlier)

but id worry if i left the room

and i dont want to live like that

what to do?

My GOD, man!!! Don't part with those!!! Read your posts about them!!!

I remember feeling exactly the same way, when I first got my used MG-12/QRs. But it would have been even better to think they were going to suck, before I heard them, like you did <grin>. Wow. Wow. Wow.

And just try to IMAGINE how much BETTER they will sound, once you've played around with the positioning and toe-in!!! (And Zeppelin is GREAT, on them!)

Maybe you could build some sort of "containment unit" to protect them.

Maybe you could get some KEVLAR SOCKS for them!

Maybe you could install some wire or nylon mesh or screen UNDER the socks!

But really, for $80, and considering that you're already seemingly ready to part with them (WAY too easily), what have you go to lose??? Why not keep them and listen to them until they're destroyed??? (It's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all, as they say.)

Actually, Maggies are not all THAT easy to damage. (I'm sure my kids could have done it, rather suddenly and efficiently, when they were young. But they grow up VERY QUICKLY.) And almost all kinds of physical maggie damage can be repaired, DIY. And I don't think there's much chance that the MG-1 models can be "blown" with too much power. They'd probably LOVE too much power.

If you get out a nice bottle of wine you could probably eventually get one of them naked, and you'll see how simple (and beautiful) and robust they really are.

Your best chance might be to hook up the Hafler and the Maggies as the sound system for your TV and video games. That way maybe the kids would take a lot better care of them.

Geez!! Don't DO it!!! How COULD you??!!!

You should keep them, if nothing else store them someplace safe until you have a suitable room!

I found a pair of MG-1's at GoodWill for $10, they thought they were room dividers:warped:

I did have to do a little work to get them going again but it was well worth it. I ended up selling them and wish I had them back, you will do the same:)

I listened to the ladies of Heart (Dreamboat Annie) on vinyl, I sit close, they are like giant headphones but better than any that I own.

I'm sure Divas are great, haven't seen any in 20 years.
Quad ESL-63 are good too and play louder with more bass.
Tried the SMG too but the treble ribbon died.
There are no losers in this group, just louder, sweeter or deeper bass.

Have you got Heart's "The Road Home"? It's really fantastic with Magnepans.

I must be getting really old. The older I get, the more I like Heart. I was in college when they were extremely popular (late 1970s). But I was much more into other stuff, back then, and never even bought one of their albums.

(I'm going from memory here, having read the liner notes back in the mid 1990s, so please forgive me if I mangle any details: )

Around 1994, after Heart had downsized their concert equipment and crew, they had come up with new arrangements of many of their best songs, mostly by going acoustic, which could be performed live without all of the supporting equipment and people. They went home to Seattle (I think) and rented a large nightclub for a week or so and replaced the tables etc with a few hundred sets of nice living room furniture and played there every night. They recorded it and made "The Road Home". John Paul Jones was there, too, and played with them. It's an excellent album, er, CD!

If anyone here really liked the original "Crazy On You", for example, and (is older now and) has never heard the "ballad" version of it, it will probably be extremely interesting to you, to hear it (to put it mildly), especially the first time. Anyway, there are many great songs on that album, and at least a few that I still listen to quite often. The liner notes are a very nice bonus, too, since the girls explain a lot of things, in great detail, about many of their songs, and also about themselves.

One GOOD thing about getting old is that now I can usually just buy almost whatever I want, or at least things that I wouldn't have bought when I was younger and broke and raising kids etc. For example, the other day I went on ebay and bought a box set of every song that LED Zeppelin had ever recorded, and a box set of The Moody Blues, and four different versions of the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D.

Oh, another great older album that my Magnepans have recently made new again, for me, is "CSN", by Crosby, Stills, and Nash. It's _gorgeous_ stuff!

Music is good, when you have Magnepans. VERY good. (But a pair of Vandersteen 2Ce is really great, too!)

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
*weep*

they have been 'for sale' for a while, only 2 people contacted me,

are you and I the only people on this forum that like their sound?

Perhaps its the psycology? (he only paid $70, they cant be 'that' good) and those same people will spend $1500 on an inferior sounding pair of speakers, and would swear their new speakers sounded better, even if they heard these maggies.

I've been offered a good trade, there will be a meet and a listening session tomorrow morning, if all goes as expected, they will leave with their new owner.

Maybe its because Im not a 'refined' person, I enjoy a cheese sandwich as much as any 'fine food' ive ever tasted.I can hear the quality of these speakers, but I can enjoy a much less 'refined' speaker equally.

I 'get off' on the music, not the sound.

Id actually feel much worse keeping these speakers and having them damaged, then I would letting them go and knowing they were being enjoyed and well cared for somewhere else.

I feel like im trying to rationalize/justify letting them go.?????????????

If someone gave me a $50,000 car, id sell it, but a $3000 car, and have $47,000 to do other stuff with.

I'm being offered a trade for something I can really use.

these speakers are not meant to be playing 'sponge bob' cartoons all week.

the hafler is also a very nice piece, very clean......

its also likely to leave here tomorrow.....

i do most of my 'listening' in my van, i have a fun system in there, gets loud, gets low, has good tone, windows up or down :D

Last edited:
*weep*

they have been 'for sale' for a while, only 2 people contacted me,

are you and I the only people on this forum that like their sound?

Perhaps its the psycology? (he only paid $70, they cant be 'that' good) and those same people will spend $1500 on an inferior sounding pair of speakers, and would swear their new speakers sounded better, even if they heard these maggies.

I've been offered a good trade, there will be a meet and a listening session tomorrow morning, if all goes as expected, they will leave with their new owner.

Maybe its because Im not a 'refined' person, I enjoy a cheese sandwich as much as any 'fine food' ive ever tasted.I can hear the quality of these speakers, but I can enjoy a much less 'refined' speaker equally.

I 'get off' on the music, not the sound.

Id actually feel much worse keeping these speakers and having them damaged, then I would letting them go and knowing they were being enjoyed and well cared for somewhere else.

I feel like im trying to rationalize/justify letting them go.?????????????

If someone gave me a $50,000 car, id sell it, but a $3000 car, and have $47,000 to do other stuff with.

I'm being offered a trade for something I can really use.

these speakers are not meant to be playing 'sponge bob' cartoons all week.

the hafler is also a very nice piece, very clean......

its also likely to leave here tomorrow.....

i do most of my 'listening' in my van, i have a fun system in there, gets loud, gets low, has good tone, windows up or down :D

Yeah, you're rationalizing it, somewhat. But that's OK. I already knew where you were coming from, from your earlier posts, but wanted to try to get you to keep them, anyway, for your sake <grin>. You're a lot more refined than you might think, already (and even seem to have a noble streak). And you sounded like you could truly appreciate the Maggies. But hey, she will always be out there, somewhere, and you won't forget about her. In ten years or so, or maybe sooner if your nine-year-old is unusual, you can return to her, like a long lost lover... and then run away with one of her hot younger sisters.

if your nine-year-old is unusual,.

interesting?

he 'is' unusual :)

302s176.jpg

OK, but you have to keep these $70 wonders...here's how you look at it - this is about a cost equivalent to 3 cases of good beer or 2 bottles of good liquor. You could buy the beer or liquor and it would be gone in a heartbeat. Stick with these speakers and you can have ear-to-ear grins for the next 20 years. It's a no-brainer...DON'T SELL THOSE SPEAKERS!!!

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Here is a clip of Buddy hanging out with some of his buddies. Man - this would have been a great show to catch!!! Soooooooooooo much talent in one place at the same time.
Enjoy!!! YouTube - Rock Me Baby-BB King/Eric Clapton/Buddy Guy/Jim Vaughn

When I was young I made a living fixing stereo gear for awhile - and the store sold ESS speakers (among otheres). I was living in Sacramento Calif. and the ESS factory was there and I knew a few people that worked there building stuff and got hooked on the AMT1's. A couple of years ago I came across a pair and returned back to the days of yesteryear. After awhile I "fixed 'em up" to sound even better (although they are a bunch more ugly).

You have some nice speakers there - and a difficult decision. Buuuuuut the good news is - now you have a taste of what this hobby is all about = getting to hear good music on good gear. If you keep those speakers you will be saving yourself a lot of $$$$ and time in the end - cause once bitten by da bug - - - - - -

Attachments

• Walsh5 Remake Dec 2010.jpg
    Walsh5 Remake Dec 2010.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 276
  • 2 Mambonied Pioneers 1 Heil and a bunch of SonoTube.jpg
    2 Mambonied Pioneers 1 Heil and a bunch of SonoTube.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Have you got Heart's "The Road Home"? It's really fantastic with Magnepans.

Around 1994, after Heart had downsized their concert equipment and crew, they had come up with new arrangements of many of their best songs, mostly by going acoustic, which could be performed live without all of the supporting equipment and people. They went home to Seattle (I think) and rented a large nightclub for a week or so and replaced the tables etc with a few hundred sets of nice living room furniture and played there every night. They recorded it and made "The Road Home". John Paul Jones was there, too, and played with them. It's an excellent album, er, CD!

Oh, another great older album that my Magnepans have recently made new again, for me, is "CSN", by Crosby, Stills, and Nash. It's _gorgeous_ stuff!

Music is good, when you have Magnepans. VERY good. (But a pair of Vandersteen 2Ce is really great, too!)

Cheers,

Tom
I have heard Heart Alive in Seattle DVD recorded at the Paramount Theater. Darn nice on planar speakers, as would Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Led Zeppelin, Moody Blues.
Those box sets are expensive, if you can get vinyl so much the better.

They are gone ........

A 1.75 hour demo went by in what felt like seconds, speakers performed flawlessly and incredibly throughout, with everything from Nora jones to Vanhalen.

Thankfully they have gone to a good home with a very nice person who appreciates them. I know he appreciates them because we were both laughing and stunned and had hairs standing on end the whole time at what these speakers were doing.

Definitely the best pair of speakers I have ever heard.

Gone to the right place..............

They are gone ........

A 1.75 hour demo went by in what felt like seconds, speakers performed flawlessly and incredibly throughout, with everything from Nora jones to Vanhalen.

Thankfully they have gone to a good home with a very nice person who appreciates them. I know he appreciates them because we were both laughing and stunned and had hairs standing on end the whole time at what these speakers were doing.

Definitely the best pair of speakers I have ever heard.

Gone to the right place..............

I am so sorry for your loss. But there is definitely some comfort in knowing they went to someone else who appreciates them so much. And at least you were able to have them for a little while.

By the way, if he ever has any problem with them, or just wants to get the most out of them, point him toward The Planar Speaker Asylum website.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.