ID my Acoustats, please - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2011, 01:48 AM   #1
dgator is offline dgator  United States
diyAudio Member

Default ID my Acoustats, please

I have a pair that have been described as Model 3. They are full range and 72"x28". All the photos I've seen of Model 3s are shorter with a 6-8" high wood base. Mine have no wood base, just a 1.5" high black laminate base.

Any ideas of what they are? History of them?

Also, while they sound incredible, I'm guessing I need to be prepared to think about some maintenance, recapping, etc. There used to be a guy that could do it in South FL, Sounds Like New, I think.

Is he still around? I'm thrilled to have found this forum. I feel privileged to be a member of the acoustat club. Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 04:15 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Might be a Monitor 3. Do they have transformer interfaces or amplifiers in the rear? Photos would help.
Old 26th April 2011, 12:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hella356 View Post
Might be a Monitor 3. Do they have transformer interfaces or amplifiers in the rear? Photos would help.
Interfaces are 121-2A with Blue Medallion tags.
Old 26th April 2011, 04:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The original shorter Model 3 has a wood grain laminate base that is 10" high and 28" wide 4" thick (deep). Has (2) 9" panels angled slightly left and right flanking either side of a 8" panel. Totaling 28" wide you can't see the array when the grill sock is on. The total height is under 60" with the screw in feet or about 60" with the caster style plastic wheel feet. Your description is sounding like the "other" Model 3 which is every bit the same as the original Model 3 above I believe but yours may have 20"+ tall base which puts the panel vertical centers up another 10" or so. the panels are under 46" so that would put the center of the panels at about 43-45" and the total height at just about the 72" you describe. is there a flat foot panel that sticks out the front about 6-8"? And does that extend back to seat the 121 interface on? Sound like the taller Model 3 if what I describe is accurate. Maybe the foot board extends out but the 121 interface box bolts right to the back and there are screw in feet at the corners of the metal box?

Last edited by speedracer5; 26th April 2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 26th April 2011, 07:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer5 View Post
The original shorter Model 3 has a wood grain laminate base that is 10" high and 28" wide 4" thick (deep). Has (2) 9" panels angled slightly left and right flanking either side of a 8" panel. Totaling 28" wide you can't see the array when the grill sock is on. The total height is under 60" with the screw in feet or about 60" with the caster style plastic wheel feet. Your description is sounding like the "other" Model 3 which is every bit the same as the original Model 3 above I believe but yours may have 20"+ tall base which puts the panel vertical centers up another 10" or so. the panels are under 46" so that would put the center of the panels at about 43-45" and the total height at just about the 72" you describe. is there a flat foot panel that sticks out the front about 6-8"? And does that extend back to seat the 121 interface on? Sound like the taller Model 3 if what I describe is accurate. Maybe the foot board extends out but the 121 interface box bolts right to the back and there are screw in feet at the corners of the metal box?
That sounds like it. Which model is newer, the shorter or taller? thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 07:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Sounds like a Model 3 to me. Over the years, the three-panel wide configuration was one of the most popular, and saw the most variations in style. But except for the Monitor Three, all of them were simply known as Model 3, only adding to confusion. Further adding to the confusion is that Acoustat never marked the speakers with the model number, until the Spectra Series was introduced, when I insisted that we start marking the speakers with model number!

The most common question about Acoustats: What model do I have?!
Old 26th April 2011, 07:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoustatAnswerMan View Post
Sounds like a Model 3 to me. Over the years, the three-panel wide configuration was one of the most popular, and saw the most variations in style. But except for the Monitor Three, all of them were simply known as Model 3, only adding to confusion. Further adding to the confusion is that Acoustat never marked the speakers with the model number, until the Spectra Series was introduced, when I insisted that we start marking the speakers with model number!

The most common question about Acoustats: What model do I have?!
Thanks. Do you know about the guy from Sounds Like New - still in business? Or is there anyone else in FL that can work on these?
Old 26th April 2011, 08:16 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Andy!

Gator,
I believe the 1st one I describe with the 10" tall woodgrain base is the original model three. It is the shorter of the two. The Monitor 3 has the same 3 panels (2) 9" and (1) 8" but arranged in a tighter arc. The grill cloth is actually wrapped around to show the curve on Monitor 3 and Monitor 4. But back to the taller Model 3 it is the newer of the two Model 3 versions. That is an educated guess. If you do a search for Acoustat Model 3 you'll find pictures of both and the taller ones look like a taller "monolithic" slab. I think that the shorter "older" version always has laminate woodgrain "light or dark or rosewood" on the bottom. The taller slab base on what appears to be your taller ones is covered from top down to the foot plate with the grill sock. Is that what yours are like? Is there a "Acoustat" logo plate on the the foot board?

BTW Model 3 make real bass don't they? I was amazed at that the first time I fired up a set of Model 3's.
Old 26th April 2011, 08:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer5 View Post
Hi Andy!

The taller slab base on what appears to be your taller ones is covered from top down to the foot plate with the grill sock. Is that what yours are like? Is there a "Acoustat" logo plate on the the foot board?

BTW Model 3 make real bass don't they? I was amazed at that the first time I fired up a set of Model 3's.
That's it - the sock goes all the way down to the black laminated slab base.

They do make some bass. I have them in a HT/Music system using the model 3s up front, Model 11s in the back and a ML center. I do have some subs for HT - two 12s and two 15s. Getting the blend took some effort but it is a truly stunning presentation.

I've never taken the socks off to clean the panels - could that become a problem?
Old 26th April 2011, 08:37 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Here are some links
Model 3 original (short)
http://x3d.xanga.com/3f2d8036c7c3115...z113011675.jpg
In Tan w/the owner Steve Jobs
http://www.twitteringmachines.com/wp...1/jobs1982.jpg

Tall Model 3
http://www.audiocircuit.com/A-Images...28-941-ACO.jpg

Monitor 3 Floor standing
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2410/...0897ac2ef5.jpg

Monitor 3/4 with "Bigfoot" base (thats what I call it anyway)
http://www.audiocircuit.com/A-Images...01-941-ACO.jpg

Hide this!Advertise here!