Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2011, 11:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default acoustat help

I'm hoping Andy Szabo will contact me regarding a client in Scottsdale, AZ who needs help on a problem with Acoustat Spectra 1100's.
Old 25th April 2011, 06:47 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetteys View Post
I'm hoping Andy Szabo will contact me regarding a client in Scottsdale, AZ who needs help on a problem with Acoustat Spectra 1100's.
Here I am! How can I help?
Old 25th April 2011, 07:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

One of my client's 1100's took out an amp channel of a Lexicon 125 watt mono amp at the end of last year and is now shutting down an additional channel that we utilized. After the amp resets, the speaker plays fine for several days, then shuts down the amp channel again. Any ideas?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 29th April 2011, 04:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Iím sorry to report that your description of the problem does not point to anything immediateÖno Ďahaí moment here!

Does the amplifierís shut-down occur only during loud music, or seemingly at random, or is there any pattern to when it shuts down? Do both speakers sound identical before the shut-down? Does the amplifier channel driving the Ďbadí speaker run warmer than the other channel? Are there any warning signs before the amp shuts down, like a reduction in volume or crackling noises?

Assuming that you have already examined the innards of the interface for any obvious burnt parts, or signs of arcing around the transformer, board, or high voltage wiring, the first step in troubleshooting would be to measure the DC resistance of the speaker, and compare it to the measurement of the good speaker. Furthermore, since the speaker is bi-amp/bi-wire capable, you can separate the woofer and ESL circuits by placing the switch in the biamp position. You can then make separate measurements of the woofer and ESLís resistance from the corresponding binding posts. You may measure a few tenths of an ohm difference between two Ďgoodí speakers, but much more than that is probably a sign of trouble. When you make the measurements, make sure the HF balance switch is in the same position on both speakers.

Also check for signs of DC voltage on the output of the amplifier. Even though you have changed to a different amp channel, there could be DC being fed from the preamp or source component.

Thatís all I can think of for now, lacking any further info. Do write again when youíve had a chance to investigate some of the items above.

Hide this!Advertise here!