Quad ESL 57 connection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Normally, the preferred way to hook them up is parallel. Anyway this is what Quad recommended.

The Quad II is a nice amplifier for one set of ESLs but a bit under powered to drive two sets, be it series or parallel. I'd suggest you try both and see what sounds best to you. Also try with the output wired for 8 Ohms. Better would be to give each set it's own amplifier.

One of my clients has a triple stack of ESLs and he's using the Transcendent OTL mono blocks to power them. A small alteration to the feedback loop was required to get it stable. This was only required with the speakers hooked up in series. He preferred series connection reporting better transparency.

Normally, the preferred way to hook them up is parallel. Anyway this is what Quad recommended.

The Quad II is a nice amplifier for one set of ESLs but a bit under powered to drive two sets, be it series or parallel. I'd suggest you try both and see what sounds best to you. Also try with the output wired for 8 Ohms. Better would be to give each set it's own amplifier.

One of my clients has a triple stack of ESLs and he's using the Transcendent OTL mono blocks to power them. A small alteration to the feedback loop was required to get it stable. This was only required with the speakers hooked up in series. He preferred series connection reporting better transparency.

Ok! Maybe better driving it with a Julius Futterman OTL 3 or a Doktor Gizmo New York powers I know, however these amps are hard-to-find nowadays.

I go try too my Quad 303 at 8 ohms.

Many thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.