Will a Carver TFM-45 drive stat speaker??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2011, 12:59 AM   #1
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Will a Carver TFM-45 drive stat speaker???

Hi All, I was given a Carver TFM-45 today and a friend of mine has a pair of stats he wants to sell for very little money. My question is: Is the Carver the TYPE of amp that can handle Stats? I don't know much about Electrostats but have always heard they are particular about what type of amp they work best with.
Old 4th April 2011, 12:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djn View Post
Hi All, I was given a Carver TFM-45 today and a friend of mine has a pair of stats he wants to sell for very little money. My question is: Is the Carver the TYPE of amp that can handle Stats? I don't know much about Electrostats but have always heard they are particular about what type of amp they work best with.
I can't vouch for the TFM-45 but I've been bi-amping my hybrid ESL's with a pair of Carver TFM-25's for three years now with no problems. I will post your TFM-45 question on the CarverSite forum and then post any responses here.

Are the ESL's you're looking at hybrids or full range ?

Last edited by CharlieM; 4th April 2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 4th April 2011, 07:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

They are full range Sound Labs. Thanks for posting elsewhere. Maybe I should reg on that site.
Old 5th April 2011, 01:20 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

They should be able to handle them okay.

The TM45 has a Higher overall power rating in the 8 ohm to 4 ohm range.

But the TM25 really shines in the 2 ohm range compared to the TM45.

Just check the carver site for more info.

The sound labs are advertised as 8 ohm but as we all know ESL's can go as low as 2 ohms.

If you can find an imepedence curve of the model you are considering and it doesn't go much below 4 ohms then the extra power that the TM45 has to offer would be quite a welcome feature. jer
Old 5th April 2011, 03:53 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jer. I've looked for the imp curves but no luck. I can't imagine it would sound like crap.
Old 5th April 2011, 04:12 AM   #6
mbskeam is offline mbskeam  United States
diyAudio Member

I have 2 of these amps, if your load does not stay below 4ohms you should be okay.....
I run a set of carver amazing's , these things are rated at 4ohm, but will dip to 2.
unless I have it blastin for a long period of time the amp does okay, when it does get hot, I can hear that it is distorting, so I just turn it down, got a bigger amp to put on these, but just haven't done it yet
try it, if it distorts then you know, normally these amps dont run too hot when turn up, so keep that in mind
Old 5th April 2011, 07:28 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks MBs. I will call SoundLab in the morning and ask them about the dipping.
Old 5th April 2011, 09:04 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Just talked to sound lab and they say the Ultimates will go to 2ohm in the very high freques.
Old 6th April 2011, 02:21 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djn View Post
Just talked to sound lab and they say the Ultimates will go to 2ohm in the very high freques.
Most Soundlab ESLs have 3 interface adjustments that will affect the impedance.

1) A brilliance adjustment varies the resistance in series with the HF transformer. This will affect how low the impedance dips above 10K. In the full CW position, the impedance will drop to under 1 ohm.

2) A bass adjustment varies the number of turns used in the primary, thus changing the step-up ratio for the bass transformer. This will affect the impedance from the midrange on down. The higher step-up ratio chosen, the lower the impedance.

3) A midrange adjustment varies the value of an inductor in series with the bass transformer. The higher the midrange setting, the lower the inductance, and the lower the impedance in the midrange.

The owner of the Soundlab A1s I was able to measure preferred the sound with all adjustments at maximum. He has a rather large well damped room and these adjustments also provided the flattest in-room octave smoothed measurement.

The resulting impedance is pretty daunting. Impedance is 2 ohm throughout most of the midrange and falls to a brutal 0.6 ohm at 20kHz. Note also the high phase angle at 13kHz. I'm not sure if the TFM-45 would handle this load well or not, but at least this gives you an idea what the worst case Soundlab ESL impedance load might be.

BTW, the owner's opinion was that the Van Alstine MOSFET amplifiers drove this speakers better than any other amplifers he had tried.
avahifi - avahifi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SL_A1_impedance.jpg (65.7 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by bolserst; 6th April 2011 at 02:24 AM.
Old 6th April 2011, 02:59 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks so much Bolserst. I'm going to have to digest all this. The issue I have is that the amp I have needs work and I don't want to spend the money to get it fixed if it won't drive the speakers proper.

Hide this!Advertise here!