Acoustat Answer Man is here

Acoustat 121 has two tranfourmers an one bias in ea. interface.
Your 131 has a diff tranfourmer ... just for 200-300hz up.... it may work for the top end.....someone can say .....i never seen it done....but the same bias tranfourmer.....so all you need to do is find a pr of 121s someone is saleing an you good to go...see in the pix the biger type box is a 121...more info here..http://www.audiocircuit.com/Home-Audio/Acoustat... good luck.........Long Live Acoustats

Attachments

• $T2eC16dHJFoE9nh6piThBQlIozD0ow~~60_14[1].jpg
    $T2eC16dHJFoE9nh6piThBQlIozD0ow~~60_14[1].jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 328
  • ACOUSTAT_SCHEMATICS-NO_POT5B15D15B15D[1].jpg
    ACOUSTAT_SCHEMATICS-NO_POT5B15D15B15D[1].jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 323
Model 3 vs X with Servo Amps

Hi,

I am running 3-panel X's (2-9" and 1-8") 5-wire with basically stock Servo amps and am very pleased. I recently bought a pair of 3's with 3-wire panels to use on the servos because my X's have no frames and are quite unattractive. I have disconnected the MK interfaces and wired the panels to the Servo amps exactly like the X's but the sound is very off. The 3's appear to work okay with the MK interfaces but not nearly as nice as my X's although I do not have an ideal amp to power them. The 3's play at proper listening levels when connected to the servo amps and the frequency response is not compressed but the music is lifeless and the texture of the instruments is gone. Also, the bass is distorted. I am looking for ideas on why there is such a stark difference in the sound as I was told the pre-Spectra panels are interchangeable. Can it be the 3 vs. 5 wire? Any wisdom that can be shared would be appreciated. Also, I have played with the straight vs. curved patterns of the panels and that is not the reason for the difference, at least not the difference I am referring to. Thanks.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hello Paul,

Try washing the 3 wire panels. If they are old, they likely have tons of crud not only affecting the mylar's ability to vibrate, but also affecting the bias voltage.

A simple rinse in the shower, and allow to dry for 3 days.

The 5 wire panel is just a paired up stator wires on each end of the panel - it 'supplies" stator voltage to each end, while the 3 wire has a single "supply" wire on the stator...should not make much difference.

My money is on the panel cleaning.

Hello Paul,

Try washing the 3 wire panels. If they are old, they likely have tons of crud not only affecting the mylar's ability to vibrate, but also affecting the bias voltage.

A simple rinse in the shower, and allow to dry for 3 days.

The 5 wire panel is just a paired up stator wires on each end of the panel - it 'supplies" stator voltage to each end, while the 3 wire has a single "supply" wire on the stator...should not make much difference.

My money is on the panel cleaning.

Nothing like a good bath.:)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have been using the small Chord CPM-2600 integrated amplifier with my Acoustat 1+1s for close to two years now without any issues but to be fair i don't listend very loud with Acoustat's you don't have to everything is there even at low volumes at least for me my living room is 14x20x8 feet and also is in a condo i do respect the other owners.

PS: I now know how to attach files and i promiss that i will no longer use Photobucket on this forum ever again.

Attachments

• Chord CPM-2600 - 1000X750.jpg
    Chord CPM-2600 - 1000X750.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Andre, after you put your 1+1s in steel frames, how much did they change in terms of bass response? I bet they do not wobble at all like they do with mdf frames. How much do they weigh now?
Hi noelm, the steel frames was a major change in both my 1+1s and my friend Jocelyn's Spectra 8800s 200 pounds for the baby and close to 800 for the dad.:):):)

Attachments

• Acoustat 1+1 01.jpg
    Acoustat 1+1 01.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 245
  • Acoustat Spectra 8800 05.jpg
    Acoustat Spectra 8800 05.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 233
I for one dont like the sound of any bridged amps on any speakers,most have a chip in the input for bridging. cost about 50.cent ...
The 121 interfaces are over 30 years old...Just littel lov..an you got some of the best ESLs at any $$$
An the Bias needs to be re-worket most likely...just new diodes an cap in the bias well give more output...
Any amp that wont give you the output you need unbredged.... I would not put on any of my ESLs interfaces transfourmers .... Acoustats...old are new
Others have there input ... there tons of info on Acoustat here....
good luck
Just one man o-pine....... Long live Acoustat