Acoustat Answer Man is here - Page 90 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2014, 09:08 PM   #891
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolserst View Post
Indeed.

The DIY community is blessed that Andy took it upon himself to create all this nice Acoustat documentation during his employment, and share it freely long afterwards. There are many other audio related companies for which it would be nice to have access to similar documentation and support.
True BUT do you know many products like Acoustat's that even after 20 years of being shut down because for me when they left the USA they where no longer OUR BELOVED ACOUSTAT still have a folowing like this, i have owned them since 1984 and i'm sorry that i did not know them sooner i lost a few years with BOXES but i have been out of the BOX for 30 years now and that's the way i am going to leave this world, Life without Acoustat's is possible but senseless
Old 21st February 2014, 09:20 PM   #892
diyAudio Member

Second that "Indeed"! I'll take the info provided with a MrAcoustat 'grain of salt' - that is, very worthy of consideration. Thanks again.
Old 24th February 2014, 07:07 PM   #893
diyAudio Member

Is there a limit to the number of panels that can be hooked up to one MK-121 C
(From a 2+2)
In other words, could I make a 3+3 (66/6600) ?
Thanks,
Paul
Old 24th February 2014, 09:28 PM   #894
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pforeman View Post
(From a 2+2)
Thanks,
Paul
I am far from being tech savy but i phoned my friend Jocelyn and on the MK-121 C the limit is 4 BUT with the MK-2146 you can use 2 - 4 - 6 - 8 - 10 - panels on one interface if you want more info please send me a PM and i will send you Jocelyn's email address. André
Old 25th February 2014, 05:42 PM   #895
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pforeman View Post
(From a 2+2)
Thanks,
Paul
The MK-121 series interface was designed for a maximum of 4 panels. This upper limit is due to the number of taps on the low frequency transformer, which are used to adjust the bass equalization according to the number of panels connected.

That being said, you can drive more than four panels with the MK-121 interface, but you will probably find that you have too much bass. That is why the Model 6 (six panels) and Model 8 (eight panels) used a special version of the MK-121, which used a different LF transformer with bass-equalization tailored for the larger panel area. The Models 6 & 8 also used two interfaces per speaker, each driving three or four panels.

The MK-2146 interface mentioned by Mr Acoustat is for Spectra models only, and can only be used to drive segmented Spectra panels. So unless you have Spectra panels, or want to modify your existing panels into Spectra panels, the MK-2146 is not an option.
Old 25th February 2014, 06:02 PM   #896
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoustatAnswerMan View Post
The MK-121 series interface was designed for a maximum of 4 panels. This upper limit is due to the number of taps on the low frequency transformer, which are used to adjust the bass equalization according to the number of panels connected.

That being said, you can drive more than four panels with the MK-121 interface, but you will probably find that you have too much bass. That is why the Model 6 (six panels) and Model 8 (eight panels) used a special version of the MK-121, which used a different LF transformer with bass-equalization tailored for the larger panel area. The Models 6 & 8 also used two interfaces per speaker, each driving three or four panels.

The MK-2146 interface mentioned by Mr Acoustat is for Spectra models only, and can only be used to drive segmented Spectra panels. So unless you have Spectra panels, or want to modify your existing panels into Spectra panels, the MK-2146 is not an option.

Thank you for your detailed info this is the reason that i always tell members to get in contact with my friend Jocelyn he did explain some of this info but like i have said MANY times i am not tech savy all i can do is give members info on someone that CAN help them.and having you here is a very big help.
Old 25th February 2014, 06:34 PM   #897
diyAudio Member

Today for the first time I listened to the Telarc 1812 overture on my 2+2's in a 2400sq ft room, They handled the muskets at 100db with no problem at all, better Than my Apogee Diva's in a small room, I could feel the shots on my chest at 60ft, I also find with pipe organs the also seem to go deeper without any boominess , These speakers truly need a big enviroment to breathe in, I use a H2O-S250 that plays with my 1ohm Scintilla's on them, the amp just idles on the 2+2's, better sound than the VTL 100 tube mono blocks , I bought these new in 83, and never enjoyed them for many yrs and most time stuck in a room never used, funny how a room can change a speaker from confined to totally open and full frequency reproduction with no stress.
Al
Old 25th February 2014, 07:06 PM   #898
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaStar View Post
Today for the first time I listened to the Telarc 1812 overture on my 2+2's in a 2400sq ft room, They handled the muskets at 100db with no problem at all, better Than my Apogee Diva's in a small room, I could feel the shots on my chest at 60ft, I also find with pipe organs the also seem to go deeper without any boominess , These speakers truly need a big enviroment to breathe in, I use a H2O-S250 that plays with my 1ohm Scintilla's on them, the amp just idles on the 2+2's, better sound than the VTL 100 tube mono blocks , I bought these new in 83, and never enjoyed them for many yrs and most time stuck in a room never used, funny how a room can change a speaker from confined to totally open and full frequency reproduction with no stress.
Al
Yes the room they do need space to breathe, when i bought my condo i owned 2+2s and with a 13x20 living room i knew they had to go so one more time in came the 1+1s and even those would be better with a few extra feet wide but i will not live without Acoustat's in my life i have always told my wife that the speakers could leave ONCE i am no longer there.
Old 25th February 2014, 07:24 PM   #899
diyAudio Member

There's one thing I'd like to do, I like flat eq'd sound, but can't figure out a way to do with that distance, to long for rca cables, maybe a comp and software? any advice here welcomed . Like to see how far they are off in freq response. Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 10:45 AM   #900
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaStar View Post
There's one thing I'd like to do, I like flat eq'd sound, but can't figure out a way to do with that distance, to long for rca cables, maybe a comp and software? any advice here welcomed . Like to see how far they are off in freq response. Thanks
Just buy an UMIK-1 and hook up to a laptop running the REW application. It's very accurate and pretty simple to use.

Hide this!Advertise here!