Acoustat Answer Man is here - Page 89 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2014, 10:22 PM   #881
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoustatAnswerMan View Post
I agree. I watched that movie on my system and recall that it had very prominent LF content. Even my Spectra 4400's complained a little bit, despite being crossed-over to a subwoofer below 80 Hz. I like movies with lots of LF content, but I think some of them overdo it, leaving only a few very fine systems capable of properly reproducing it. Of course, the average sound system probably doesn't even try, so lots of folks never realize what they're missing.
Hi Andy Jocelyn's DIY Spectra 8800s measured 24hz without subs and 14hz with the two JLs F-112 in the system i have yet to hear such clean bass from any other speaker panels or boxes just SCARY bass realy to much for me BUT it's not my system.

Last edited by MrAcoustat; 9th February 2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 9th February 2014, 10:36 PM   #882
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I agree. I watched that movie on my system and recall that it had very prominent LF content. Even my Spectra 4400's complained a little bit, despite being crossed-over to a subwoofer below 80 Hz. I like movies with lots of LF content, but I think some of them overdo it, leaving only a few very fine systems capable of properly reproducing it. Of course, the average sound system probably doesn't even try, so lots of folks never realize what they're missing.
This one also as very prominent LF content , the Leonardo speakers could not handle the LF in track #2 ( Dadawa ) in Munich this year but the big Acoustat's no problem at extreme volume.

Dadawa - - - Sister Drum xrcd
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by MrAcoustat; 9th February 2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 20th February 2014, 02:59 PM   #883
diyAudio Member

Default Spectra 33 or 3300 Impedance Graph

Does anyone have this? Or know where I can find it? Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 04:14 PM   #884
diyAudio Member

Here ya go...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Acoustat_Spectra3300_Impedance.pdf (20.4 KB, 30 views)
Old 20th February 2014, 08:38 PM   #885
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks!

Appreciate the effort and response. Is there a database where you located this? I have one for the Spectra 2200 (more similar than I expected - I was hoping the curve would be friendlier) and couldn't remember where I got it.
Old 20th February 2014, 11:28 PM   #886
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webnick View Post
Is there a database where you located this?
There is much Acoustat info floating around the web(much of which originated from the Audiocircuit) but no database that I am aware of.

Attached is Zdata for the other Spectra models, and a crude overlay I made some time ago.
The 3300 impedance looks to be quite a bit "friendlier" than the 2200 in the midrange but no differenct at the LF/HF extremes. This is not particularly surprising since the 2200 & 3300 use the same interface(MK-2123) and only differ in the transformer secondary tap feeding to the midrange mixer resistor.

I would expect the 4400 & 6600 to have similar impedances as well since they both use the MK-2146 interface. I'm not sure why the 6600 show significantly higher impedance an LF than the 4400. My guess would be the 6600 impedance measurement was taken with a higher signal level increasing the core permiability and thus primary inductance. Impedance of transformer driven ESL is a moving target...
Attached Images
File Type: png Acoustat_Spectra_Zcompare.png (240.0 KB, 99 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Acoustat_Spectra_Series_Impedance.pdf (80.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 21st February 2014, 07:32 AM   #887
diyAudio Member

Thanks again! Very informative.
Old 21st February 2014, 07:55 PM   #888
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolserst View Post
There is much Acoustat info floating around the web(much of which originated from the Audiocircuit) but no database that I am aware of...

...My guess would be the 6600 impedance measurement was taken with a higher signal level increasing the core permiability and thus primary inductance. Impedance of transformer driven ESL is a moving target...
First point: most of the technical data on the Audiocircuit was provided by yours truly from my old Acoustat files. So in that respect, the Audiocircuit website is THE place to get Acoustat manuals and other technical information on Acoustat. They also have a Q&A forum in which I participate.

Second point: I created all of the original Spectra impedance/phase plots, but I remember very little of the method used. Furthermore, since they were done at different times, it is entirely possible that slightly different methods and/or drive levels may have been used. So the graphs are probably useful only for studying the relative variation of impedance/phase vs. frequency for a given model, not the absolute values. Therefore, the graphs are probably less useful for looking at the differences between models.
Old 21st February 2014, 08:35 PM   #889
diyAudio Member

Quote:
First point: most of the technical data on the Audiocircuit was provided by yours truly from my old Acoustat files. So in that respect, the Audiocircuit website is THE place to get Acoustat manuals and other technical information on Acoustat. They also have a Q&A forum in which I participate.

Second point: I created all of the original Spectra impedance/phase plots, but I remember very little of the method used. Furthermore, since they were done at different times, it is entirely possible that slightly different methods and/or drive levels may have been used. So the graphs are probably useful only for studying the relative variation of impedance/phase vs. frequency for a given model, not the absolute values. Therefore, the graphs are probably less useful for looking at the differences between models.
Thank's again Andy for all the FREE help you give on the great Acoustat speakers, no matter wich model they are very hard to beat, i was at Jocelyn's place tuesday with a few friends they said that they had never heard the Sister Drum track from the Dadawa album played so loud and clean before in their lives and yes it's true it was scary loud BUT clean the - DIY Spectra 8800s - AWESOME.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 21st February 2014, 08:54 PM   #890
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAcoustat View Post
Thank's again Andy for all the FREE help you give on the great Acoustat speakers
Indeed.

The DIY community is blessed that Andy took it upon himself to create all this nice Acoustat documentation during his employment, and share it freely long afterwards. There are many other audio related companies for which it would be nice to have access to similar documentation and support.

Hide this!Advertise here!