Acoustat Answer Man is here - Page 81 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2013, 09:13 PM   #801
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoustatAnswerMan View Post
I think damping factor is important with any speaker, as it can have a dramatic effect on the amount and quality of bass. This is why some amps seem to 'have more bass' when in reality they have a lower damping factor, which leads to less controlled bass.
Does that mean that slew factor is also important?
Old 17th October 2013, 10:14 AM   #802
tyu is online now tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Andy.......... for more great info on Acoutats!

separate the two MK-121 trannies to their own separate panels (on a 2+2) run thru an active crossover - biamped...and bypassing the mixer circuit altogether - like Soundlabs...anyone do this yet?

John65b

Yes i have done this setup........... where just the 121 tranfourmers......drove just the panels.........two panes with the bass tranny........one panel for the high tranny..all 9" panels only like a pr of M3s.........No crossover at all !............bass 2 ohm on the neg input.
an 2 ohms on the high frc tranny primary +.............work well...sound great...
Moray even gave it a try.......an i think though sounded right?......
but he can speak for him self..............this was years back...

All soundLab ESLs have mixers...........just caps.......same as i use in my 121....0.015....
Thay dont need any bass res.........the panels sound dARK As it is....an would just eat More power............there like driveing a Dead short as is......just what i have found...
SoundLabs can sound good played low.......but i need output....Acoustats King..high out put ............get the bias right an 50 tubes watt work well........in the pic 1 this are not stock trannys but you can see the setup with out the 50kres......pic 2 SL crossover....pic 3 ....5 is the poted SL mixer..........just the caps in a box....i would think poting the caps would roll off some highs....???

Also i have ran the 121c stock setup.......... with out the 50k res in the mixer.. just like the SL setup.....get more output......work vary well .......
some like it better......sounds to me like theres less delay...an vary flat.....the res sound almost like a Loadnes buttem.........to me!

Long live Acoustats............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2bInCkt[1].jpg (67.2 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg crossover-15B15D%5B1%5D[1].jpg (33.5 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg sound_lab_a-3_backplate_parts_id%5B1%5D[1].jpg (49.7 KB, 248 views)

Last edited by tyu; 17th October 2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 17th October 2013, 06:51 PM   #803
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana1100 View Post
Does that mean that slew factor is also important?
Slew factor, or slew rate, is an entirely different specification. Usually specified as so many volts per (micro?) second, it refers to the amps ability to change output rapidly. So this is more of a high-frequency issue. Yes, it's an important specification, but I wouldn't get too hung up on it.
Old 19th October 2013, 04:21 AM   #804
diyAudio Member

Got the nad 208 , sounds great with the 2+2's.
It has a feature called "soft clipping", should I leave this on or turn it off.?
Old 21st October 2013, 10:27 PM   #805
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana1100 View Post
Got the nad 208 , sounds great with the 2+2's.
It has a feature called "soft clipping", should I leave this on or turn it off.?
My first advice would be to avoid clipping the amplifier, and with as much power as the 208 has, that probably won't happen unless you play REALLY loud.

Clipping does produce a lot high frequency 'splatter', which can cause damage to both speaker and amplifier if done to excess. So if you're worried about it, I would turn the soft clipping feature ON. If the guys and gals at NAD did a good job of designing the circuit, you shouldn't hear any difference when you're not clipping.
Old 24th October 2013, 11:09 PM   #806
diyAudio Member

Default Acoustat 3 help

I have a problem I hope some of you guys can help me with. I have had my Acoustat 3, MK 121 2A speakers in storage for about 10 years. I recently tried hooking them up and the problem is no sound! I have been reading a number of posts on this site regarding capacitors and changing them out. I dont understand the reasons for doing that. Could capacitors perhaps be my problem of no sound? I love the sound out of these things. I have absolutely no confidence in myself of doing any capacitors swap out if it entails soldering. I live in the greater Los Angeles area and would like to find someone locally that could assist me in getting these wonderful speakers up and running.
Old 25th October 2013, 12:29 AM   #807
diyAudio Member

Default keeping membranes clean

I am switching topics, but that seems to happen often in this extremely useful thread.
I have a set of Acoustat Spectra 2 speakers that need new grills (cat scratched when I bought them). From reading on the web about replacing grills on Acoustats, I have learned that this can be done with care and use of a lint-free acoustically transparent grill material. However, I can find no mention of how to keep the membranes free of dust or lint when replacing the grills. I imagine this is important for an electrostatic speaker. I can make the new socks and carefully remove the old ones, but how do I keep this process clean?
Thanks very much for your thoughts.
Old 28th October 2013, 12:43 AM   #808
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddabbler View Post
I am switching topics, but that seems to happen often in this extremely useful thread.
I have a set of Acoustat Spectra 2 speakers that need new grills (cat scratched when I bought them). From reading on the web about replacing grills on Acoustats, I have learned that this can be done with care and use of a lint-free acoustically transparent grill material. However, I can find no mention of how to keep the membranes free of dust or lint when replacing the grills. I imagine this is important for an electrostatic speaker. I can make the new socks and carefully remove the old ones, but how do I keep this process clean?
Thanks very much for your thoughts.

I wouldn't worry too much about extra dust or lint produced during the cloth change. Plenty of dust gets past the grille cloth during the life of the speaker.

However, this is an excellent opportunity to clean any dust from the panel. Make sure the speaker is completely discharged, and then carefully vacuum both sides of the plastic grid. If you have compressed air available, you can use that too (but gently). This is also a good time to make sure the felt blocks on the rear of the panels are still firmly attached.
Old 28th October 2013, 12:54 AM   #809
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince7717 View Post
I have a problem I hope some of you guys can help me with. I have had my Acoustat 3, MK 121 2A speakers in storage for about 10 years. I recently tried hooking them up and the problem is no sound! I have been reading a number of posts on this site regarding capacitors and changing them out. I dont understand the reasons for doing that. Could capacitors perhaps be my problem of no sound? I love the sound out of these things. I have absolutely no confidence in myself of doing any capacitors swap out if it entails soldering. I live in the greater Los Angeles area and would like to find someone locally that could assist me in getting these wonderful speakers up and running.
After all these years, your speakers may be suffering from bad or off-value capacitors, but let's check a few other things first.

1) Are the wires from the panels properly connected to the interface?
2) Are the two AC fuses intact (located inside the interface)?
3) Are the audio fuses intact (accessible from the outside of the interface)?
3) Are the speakers connected to AC power (plugged into the wall)?

If all connections and fuses appear okay, I suggest you contact Roy Esposito at acoustat.service.usa@gmail.com. Roy is a former Acoustat employee located in Florida and is your best bet for a qualified repair, and most importantly, Roy has the proper parts.
Old 30th October 2013, 09:36 PM   #810
diyAudio Member

This is extremely useful information. Thanks you very much. I assume that if left unplugged for a couple of days, the panel will discharge completely. I will look among the posts in this thread for information about discharging the panels

Hide this!Advertise here!