Acoustat Answer Man is here - Page 73 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th September 2013, 09:06 AM   #721
diyAudio Member

One of the you tube video's showing us some skills used in preparing to "test" one of their servo charge amp's. Who is the man behind the curtain coaching this gifted apprentice when asked "where do these things go, the leads........."? answer "you have to open up the case"
Acoustat Servo Amp (with tube driver) - YouTube

Last edited by rok-n-rol; 4th September 2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 4th September 2013, 07:06 PM   #722
diyAudio Member

That eBay listing for the souped-up Servo amps is a real hoot. The comments (especially the answers to questions) are full of mis-information and myth, especially regarding the 'X' style of interfaces (one presumes the writer is referring to the Spectra series). And BTW, neither David Hafler nor his company had anything to do with the servocharge amps - they were out of production LONG before he acquired Acoustat.

These modified amps may be an improvement over the original, but the outboard, exposed high voltage components are so dangerous that I would not wish their ownership upon my worst enemy. Buyer beware.
Old 4th September 2013, 08:31 PM   #723
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoustatAnswerMan View Post
That eBay listing for the souped-up Servo amps is a real hoot. The comments (especially the answers to questions) are full of mis-information and myth, especially regarding the 'X' style of interfaces (one presumes the writer is referring to the Spectra series). And BTW, neither David Hafler nor his company had anything to do with the servocharge amps - they were out of production LONG before he acquired Acoustat.

These modified amps may be an improvement over the original, but the outboard, exposed high voltage components are so dangerous that I would not wish their ownership upon my worst enemy. Buyer beware.
Agree about Hafler not having anything to do with the servocharge amps.

Yes, dangerous. Dan taught me enough to use a high voltage probe to test the amps, set bias, etc. I ran my pairs with the cages off, too. In the end, without the protection circuitry they were open to all sorts of damage if the power would happen to go out and come back on before you could flip the switches on the amps.

Yeah, waaayyy better sounding than the original Servo amps. Still some of the very best amps I've ever heard. Especially with the full wave transformers we had made.
Old 5th September 2013, 03:10 AM   #724
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the lame question, but what is a Full Wave Transformer? Like a rectifying transformer? 120VAC in, XXVDC Out?
Old 6th September 2013, 02:22 AM   #725
diyAudio Member

My 2+2's have that little placard that says wiring by Monster Cable. Was this really done to improve sound or did Acoustat have a deal where they got super cheap or free wire from Monster in return for putting the Monster sticker on the interfaces?
Old 6th September 2013, 06:03 PM   #726
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

I would think a littel on bouth ....the monster wire..was ONe of the top dogs back in the 70-80s.......
an most wire used back then sucket....i was in the Audio bizz in the 80-90s ....I spoke to Mr pass about wire in his amps we were saleing....He thought the 18ga juke wire was fine an even 16ga was over kill...he told me then.... it made No diff in the sound of his amps.....need less to say he changed his tune ....he also though bal input had no place in the home Audio............now most of his amps are all bal....gofig....
Long live Acoustat...
Old 6th September 2013, 07:45 PM   #727
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana1100 View Post
My 2+2's have that little placard that says wiring by Monster Cable. Was this really done to improve sound or did Acoustat have a deal where they got super cheap or free wire from Monster in return for putting the Monster sticker on the interfaces?
I don't know the history behind Acoustat's use of Monster Cable in the interfaces. That practice was discontinued long before I joined the company. I'm sure, however, that Acoustat was able to obtain the wire rather cheaply in exchange for the advertising value of the placard on the outside of the interface.

In retrospect, using that wire was not the greatest idea, as the wire has a strong tendancy to oxidize (turn green) even beneath the plastic insulation. If I remember correctly, it was Acoustat's policy to remove that wire during the very popular Medallion Transformer upgrade program. That very oxidized copper was impossible to resolder.

So what to do if you have Monster Cable in your interface? There is probably no urgent need to replace it, unless the interface is being serviced for other reasons. In which case, I would recommend replacing the Monster Cable with your choice of cable.
Old 7th September 2013, 12:20 AM   #728
diyAudio Member

Has anyone had any experience with the Sanders Magtech amplifiers? I have 1+1's, 2+2's, 3's and 4's (looking for a pair of 8's should anyone have a pair for sale). I am currently using the Music Reference RM200 and I think I am clipping when played loud. I have heard the Sanders amplifiers at the CES (The Show) and they sound quite good but they were driving his ESL's. Just curious what the thought was about this amplifier or any other solid state that won't break the bank, budget about $4000.00-5000.00. Thanks in advance..............Bob
Old 7th September 2013, 05:36 PM   #729
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmotorcycle View Post
Has anyone had any experience with the Sanders Magtech amplifiers? I have 1+1's, 2+2's, 3's and 4's (looking for a pair of 8's should anyone have a pair for sale). I am currently using the Music Reference RM200 and I think I am clipping when played loud. I have heard the Sanders amplifiers at the CES (The Show) and they sound quite good but they were driving his ESL's. Just curious what the thought was about this amplifier or any other solid state that won't break the bank, budget about $4000.00-5000.00. Thanks in advance..............Bob
Don't know about the Sanders amp, but with that array of Acoustats you have plenty of panels to use if you build your own Model 8 frames.
Old 10th September 2013, 07:43 PM   #730
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hella356 View Post
Don't know about the Sanders amp, but with that array of Acoustats you have plenty of panels to use if you build your own Model 8 frames.
Enough panels, yes, but that still won't make a true Model 8. The Models 6 and 8 used special interfaces with a different low frequency transformer that provided less bass boost than the regular MK-121 interface. Using a regular interface with that many panels will result in too much bass for most peoples' taste.

Hide this!Advertise here!