Acoustat Answer Man is here - Page 67 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2013, 01:52 AM   #661
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

email sent for a couple 3 wire 9 inchers
Old 5th July 2013, 10:39 PM   #662
diyAudio Member

Default Acoustat 2 + 2 is 4 dB down in SPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoustatAnswerMan View Post
Hello Audio Enthusiasts! Some of you may know my work on www.audiocircuit.com, where for many years I have been helping to advise Acoustat owners. I was an engineer and manager with Acoustat, starting when the David Hafler Co bought Acoustat out of bankruptcy, right up to the very end of US production under Rockford Corp ownership (sad day that was!). So I thought I'd lend a hand here, too, because I LOVE Acoustats and want to help as many owners as possible to keep their Acoustats running for many years to come. I don't sell parts or do repairs, but my advice is FREE! So let me know how I can help YOU with your ACOUSTAT's! (And this being a DYI crowd, I don't mind discussing modifications to the speakers.)

Andy Szabo
Hi Andy,

I'm a long time Acoustat owner 1990 till know bought a 2 + 2 new with the red medaillon sticker at the back.
I added some info about the line-up of the Acoustat slimline series running from One to Model Eight and how to drive them properly.
Lately one speaker is down for 4dB. I cleaned and resoldered all the contacts and soldering joints checked the fuses an measured approx. 750 Volts after the stepuptrafo. In the past I had similar problems also but re-energizing the bias mostly solved it. All the four panels of this panel are working and it's the entire frequency spectrum that seems to be affected so I reckon it must be the biascircuit. Any advice what would be the possible cause/offfender?
Old 7th July 2013, 02:44 PM   #663
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello Andy et al,

I have just finished restoring a pair of Spectra 22. I rewired the wall wart jack to the bias pcb and anchored the new jack to the I/F box - no longer just secured to the bias PCB - using a new rat shack 1/8" jack, reglued some bias wires to the lattice - which was the real buzzing problem with these speakers initially, blew out the panels with compressed air, washed the original socks, and re-finished the bases. Aside from a couple small holes in sock, they look brand new. They definitely have less beaming and sound livelier than the Model 2 equivalent. I was actually surprised on how much bass it has too. I have to decide if it is a keeper, as I have too many speakers, (my Apogee Duetta Sigs currently rule the roost), and also have plans to someday build a monster Model 6 or 8 (I have a total of 6 9" panels so far)...decisions decisions...

I must say that the design of the Spectra interfaces is quite unique as there are no crossover components on the frontside of the step up trannies. I look at the wiring diagram and see that for a two panel, the outer section of the outmost panel is run full range, while the other three are mid/low and low. Interesting. Going from two to three panels just adds more low end? I really wonder what these would sound like with both panels (all four sections) are run full range, and a pair of regular panels from my model 3 just wired to the low connections on the spectra interface.

Anyway, my question, I have a couple Model 1 MK-141 interfaces and the step up trannies look a lot like the step up trannies used in the Spectra...are they the same? I have attached a pic of the speakers as they now look, and a pic of the MK-141 interface showing the step up tranny....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010003.JPG (686.1 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg P1010004.JPG (684.7 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg P1010005.JPG (693.7 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg P1010001.JPG (367.7 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by john65b; 7th July 2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 9th July 2013, 07:15 PM   #664
diyAudio Member

Beyond the similarity in physical appearance (both transformers are constructed with U-I laminations) the Spectra transformers and the MK-141 transformers are very different. The MK-141 is a dual-phase, limited-frequency range unit, whereas the Spectra transformer is a single-phase, full-range unit. So, you can't make a Spectra using an MK-141 transformer.
Old 9th July 2013, 07:24 PM   #665
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertS61 View Post
Hi Andy,

I'm a long time Acoustat owner 1990 till know bought a 2 + 2 new with the red medaillon sticker at the back.
I added some info about the line-up of the Acoustat slimline series running from One to Model Eight and how to drive them properly.
Lately one speaker is down for 4dB. I cleaned and resoldered all the contacts and soldering joints checked the fuses an measured approx. 750 Volts after the stepuptrafo. In the past I had similar problems also but re-energizing the bias mostly solved it. All the four panels of this panel are working and it's the entire frequency spectrum that seems to be affected so I reckon it must be the biascircuit. Any advice what would be the possible cause/offfender?
Robert-

You probably have a problem with the 5-stage bias multiplier. This consists of 5 capacitors and 5 diodes. I would replace all 5 capacitors, as these are known to fail after some time. The diodes may also be faulty, but replacements are hard to find, so try the capacitors first. You don't need anything fancy here - replace them with ceramic disc-types with the same voltage (or higher) and same capacitance as the original parts.
Old 14th July 2013, 04:14 PM   #666
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAcoustat View Post
You lucky devil ANY Jeff Rowland would do a very good job on Acoustats the model 8 is a stereo amp are you using two of them bridged mono if so for me this is OVERKILL and you are losing on QUALITY to get more QUANTITY just try one amp and let us know what you think don't forget that this amp was designed for STEREO amplification good luck and enjoy.
PS: If you do want big mono blocks may i suggest the KING the model 9s with seperate power supply or the smaller model 7s

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by MrAcoustat; 14th July 2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 19th July 2013, 04:08 PM   #667
diyAudio Member

Are there any manufactors who still make full range ESL's? If so, how much do they go for?
Old 19th July 2013, 05:19 PM   #668
diyAudio Member

sure there are: Audiostatic - Pure full range electrostatic loudspeakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana1100 View Post
Are there any manufactors who still make full range ESL's? If so, how much do they go for?
Old 19th July 2013, 06:02 PM   #669
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana1100 View Post
There are many but NONE are cheap here are just a few of the very best.

http://www.soundlab-speakers.com/

Audiostatic - Pure full range electrostatic loudspeakers

Products|Electrostatic P3.1|Audio Exklusiv - High End Audio, Elektrostatische Laustprecher, Elektrostat, P3.1, Audio Exklusiv Shop + Zubehör, Pütz Elektrostaten

Products|Electrostatic P6.1|Audio Exklusiv - High End Audio, Elektrostatische Laustprecher, Elektrostat, P3.1, Audio Exklusiv Shop + Zubehör, Pütz Elektrostaten

King Sound - Speakers

MartinLogan | CLX ART - The World's Finest Full-Range Electrostatic Line Source Loudspeaker

Last edited by MrAcoustat; 19th July 2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:12 PM   #670
diyAudio Member

Ih Roberts,

Could you fix the issue by changing the diodes and caps ?
I had the same problem several times in the past, and found the possible cause to be :
- One of the yellow capacitor was dead. This issue I had 2 times. You can check it by exchanging them from one interface to the other.
- One of the High tension ladder diode is dead
- One of the wire which goes to the pannels is crushed between the pannel and the wood structure.

Regards,
Mathieu

Hide this!Advertise here!