Acoustat Answer Man is here - Page 58 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2013, 11:55 AM   #571
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktuuri View Post
Hey Andre:

I really have to get out to that show, maybe I'll have to plan it for next year.
I really like that Acoustat Keep it Simple Tee shirt.
Any XXlarge for us Big Boys ?

Some nice looking Big Panels . :O)
Yes ktuuri, all 4 of my T-Shirts are XXLarge.
Old 20th March 2013, 02:54 PM   #572
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertS61 View Post
They sure look better then the Eights

The Spectra 8800 is a beautiful built and constructed DIY Acoustat.
The Spectra 6600 was the biggest production run of the Spectra's and the Model 8 the biggest speaker Acoustat corp. made.

How about this one!
I assume that's some custom Sound Lab model?

I've heard there's a guy in Tennessee with a 10 panel (Monitor 10?) Acoustat with two Servos per side...
Old 20th March 2013, 04:42 PM   #573
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Funny i have had Acoustat from the Xs in the 80s...1+1s 2+2s 1s 2s M3 M4s Diy 3+3s..i gess that the M6s..or 600........
But i have found ... to me the best sound i have ever got is my M3 made with 3ea 9"...No 8"..... panels setup at 10" off the floor... most output...sweetest sound...i see the dobbel panel tall... not as sweet...an harder to drive...but i like the look of the 2+2 type...but when the panels on the floor..it lose something...now i am in a room....18'x25'x13'..my M3s can have 14' from inside to inside....Big Stage up an down...
With nothing in the room ...Tube amps on the floor...an a chair..
.so in a small setup the taller may be ok..
.just one mans O-pine.............Long Live Acoustats
Old 20th March 2013, 04:59 PM   #574
diyAudio Member

To me the wider the Acoustat, the fuller and better the overall sound, especially with the Servos. I have 1+1, 2+2, 3+1 speakers currently; none of them quite matches the overall sound of the Monitor 4 I used to have, although the 3+1 gets the closest. However, since acquiring my first set of double-height Acoustats (the 2+2) I enjoy the way they sound whether I'm standing or laying on the floor, and now I want the best of both worlds, which is why my ultimate goal is a DIY Monitor 8. Since my room doubles as a home gym, I do spend a fair amount of time laying and standing, and the single-height X (which I used as the basis for my 3+1) bothered me when I lost high frequency performance while in these listening positions. I guess there's no magic bullet Acoustat that's just right for everyone, but that's the fun of modding....
Old 20th March 2013, 07:53 PM   #575
diyAudio Member

Default Acoustat Spectra 44/4400 66/6600 Transformers (TTA-246B)

In case anybody is in the market for some Spectra 44/4400 or 66/6600 transformers, there are 6 pair for sale on ebay now...just search for "TTA-246B" if link below does not work.
Acoustat tta 246B Spectra 44 66 Transformers Pair Original New Parts | eBay

Remember you will need a pair of them for each speaker since one transformer has 1/2 of the HF secondary(on one transformer leg) and 1/2 of the LF secondary(on the other leg). See attached schematic for details on wiring up the transformers in the MK(Magne-Kinetic) configuration that provides bass equalization and panel segmentation needed for flat response with the large area dipole ESLs.
Attached Images
File Type: gif MK-2146.gif (46.6 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by bolserst; 20th March 2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 20th March 2013, 09:08 PM   #576
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

thank you Mr bolserst............
Old 23rd March 2013, 03:10 PM   #577
diyAudio Member

Recently bought myself an Onkyo TX-NR818 receiver and today I removed the analog crossovers in my Acoustat Spectra 11 front speakers and instead use the digital crossover and bi-amping in the Onkyo. I set the digital XO to 320 Hz with some overlap between the woofer and the ESL panel as this gave the smoothest measurement curve in REW. After that I used the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 calibration. The best way I can describe the sound is magical, amazing detail and clarity in acoustic music All I can say is that using analog XO's (even with excellent caps) really doesn't do these amazing speakers full justice. And Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is an excellent product.
Old 25th March 2013, 02:41 AM   #578
tonepub is offline tonepub  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi all, just grabbed a pair of used 2+2's should I give these a bath like Mr. Acoustat did or just clean the socks and go for it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACOUTSTAT-WEB stripping.jpg (219.7 KB, 122 views)
Old 25th March 2013, 03:31 AM   #579
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
Hi all, just grabbed a pair of used 2+2's should I give these a bath like Mr. Acoustat did or just clean the socks and go for it?
Hi tonepub please keep in mind that if you decide to soak the panels use very mild soap ( dish detergent ) in luke warm water and rinse thoroughly a few times. MrAcoustat

PS: Congratulations on your purchase.
Old 25th March 2013, 04:03 AM   #580
tonepub is offline tonepub  United States
diyAudio Member

A lot of the dirt just vacuumed out. And, these have the Medallion transformers, so I'm just going to wash the socks again and roll...

I'll keep you posted. Got a nice pair of Octave Jubilee tubed monoblocks ready and waiting to power these babies!

Hide this!Advertise here!