Acoustat Answer Man is here - Page 56 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2013, 03:17 AM   #551
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustannoy View Post
Lucky guy who could get a pair of 2+2... Seem great speakers.
Have a look to the EHT supplies on
Audio Transformer
Tremendous improvement on my 1+1's.

Mathieu

Hey Mathieu i am hearing good things about your 1+1s, i have been talking with Jocelyn now all you need is nice 2x3 steel frames. André
Old 6th March 2013, 03:43 AM   #552
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazukaz View Post
Sorry to say - I am not trying to insult anyone, but the sanders paper about their amplifiers looks like an advertising crap. It gives an impression that amplifier that's not rated at around 100V and hundreds of amps should sound bad.
But where we have any measurements confirming most of conventional amps go into current clipping while playing music and sounds into ESL load ?
Yes the impedance drops considerably with frequency but so drops the average and peak output voltage. At 20 kHz peaks are 10-20db lower with most of music content.
Also although statements like "power amplifier can add over $100 per month to their electric bill" are true in some rare cases its very, very unusual.

A lot of ESLs have comparable efficiency to HiFi cone based systems(let's say, quads etc.).
So there is no understandable argument why it should need more voltage.
Furthermore, with a 73Vrms amp its easy to bring stepup transformer into saturation if its not designed for that voltage and in addition to poor sound quality its possible to do damage to panels or something else.
I cannot agree that a very high voltage & current amplifier is necessary or even recommended in most of cases.

Regards,
Lukas.
Hi Lukas, about your Quote: Also although statements like "power amplifier can add over $100 per month to their electric bill" are true in some rare cases its very, very unusual. I owned this wonderful amp from 1988 to 2000 with a few models of Acoustat's and YES that was the case i also used it to heat my dedicated room in the winter $100 per month was pretty normal for me but the sound of this pure 45 watts per channel pure class A amplifier was worth every dollar.

Classé Audio DR3 - VHC The letters V.H.C. stood for Very High Current
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Classé Audio DR3-VHC - A.T..JPG (90.9 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg Classé Audio DR3-VHC - A.T. Back.JPG (123.4 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg Classé Audio DR3-VHC - A.T. Inside.JPG (152.3 KB, 211 views)

Last edited by MrAcoustat; 6th March 2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 6th March 2013, 04:58 PM   #553
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Bazukaz, I know we talked about the Sanders amps a while back, but the more I hear it, the more I like...yeah, it may have enough cajones to never clip, but it is also doing something sweet...I want to try it out on some Maggies and my CLS next.

On a similar topic, I will be building a Leach amp soon, and can't help but think the Sanders ESL is a modified high rail, 2x more output devices Leach amp?? I heard a Leach a few weeks back was was very impressed...I was always a Class A amp guy until I heard the Leach and the Sanders amp - both class A/B...
Old 7th March 2013, 02:48 AM   #554
diyAudio Member

I am starting to think these 2+2's are like real estate- location, location, location!
I have the right speaker 37" away from the back wall, 14" away from side wall. The left is also 37" away from back wall, no wall to the left of it, got space there.
I like the bass, drums, bass guitar come through well. It is just that deeper notes, like produced with a synthesizer don't come through.
It seems like those much lower notes are being cancelled out.
I have seen the hint at about hanging up tapestries behind them, but would like to do better.
What I am thinking about is making bass traps, get the wood from the hardware store.
Make them about the same length and height as the speakers, outside would be white cloth to match the paint on the walls, under the cloth, I'd put a layer of fiberglass, then hang each one behind the speaker. I figure they'd absorb the a good portion of the rear wave of the speakers, just worried that might take away from their imaging.
Anyone tried anything like this?
Old 13th March 2013, 04:13 AM   #555
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortron View Post
I clicked this thread thinking, I wonder if AAM was Andre... I guess I was wrong
AcoustatAnswerMan is the one and only Mr.Andy Szabo
Old 16th March 2013, 11:29 PM   #556
gnnett is offline gnnett  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Smile Spectra 8800

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAcoustat View Post
Hi noelm, the steel frames was a major change in both my 1+1s and my friend Jocelyn's Spectra 8800s 200 pounds for the baby and close to 800 for the dad.
Just a question on these and other Spectra users, I was wanting to confirm if the full range section was in the, I think traditional, biased to the inside edge, or had been configured in a more central, original quad type arrangement? With 4 panels wide and "8" segments in might be easy to configure as a double width central section and a mirror image Spectra44 arrangement on each side. Of course the other option would be a 4 or 5 stage, rather than 3 stager.

But I am guessing and would be fascinated to know.

Cheers

Gnnett
Old 17th March 2013, 01:21 AM   #557
diyAudio Member

What model acoustats did Steve Jobs have?
Isnt this picture interesting - The peleton - Planar Speaker Asylum
Old 17th March 2013, 01:29 AM   #558
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

He had Model 3's in that pic of him on the floor with albums
Old 17th March 2013, 05:52 AM   #559
ktuuri is offline ktuuri  Canada
diyAudio Member

Does anyone know if the Direct Drive Tube Servo amps can be used on the Spectra Series?

Thanks for any + all replies!

Ken
Old 18th March 2013, 07:08 PM   #560
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktuuri View Post
Does anyone know if the Direct Drive Tube Servo amps can be used on the Spectra Series?

Thanks for any + all replies!

Ken
Theoretically yes, but it's not a plug-n-play scenario. Not only would you need to construct the sectoring resistors to feed the different segments of the Spectra, you would also need to significantly alter the equalization of the amp to match the differing areas for highs, mids and lows. This would not be an easy job, and I'm not entirely sure it could be done.

Hide this!Advertise here!