Acoustat Answer Man is here - Page 53 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2013, 12:30 PM   #521
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Acoustat 121 has two tranfourmers an one bias in ea. interface.
Your 131 has a diff tranfourmer ... just for 200-300hz up.... it may work for the top end.....someone can say .....i never seen it done....but the same bias tranfourmer.....so all you need to do is find a pr of 121s someone is saleing an you good to go...see in the pix the biger type box is a 121...more info here..http://www.audiocircuit.com/Home-Audio/Acoustat... good luck.........Long Live Acoustats
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $T2eC16dHJFoE9nh6piThBQlIozD0ow~~60_14[1].jpg (2.2 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg ACOUSTAT_SCHEMATICS-NO_POT5B15D15B15D[1].jpg (40.6 KB, 198 views)
Old 11th February 2013, 04:38 PM   #522
diyAudio Member

Default Model 3 vs X with Servo Amps

Hi,

I am running 3-panel X's (2-9" and 1-8") 5-wire with basically stock Servo amps and am very pleased. I recently bought a pair of 3's with 3-wire panels to use on the servos because my X's have no frames and are quite unattractive. I have disconnected the MK interfaces and wired the panels to the Servo amps exactly like the X's but the sound is very off. The 3's appear to work okay with the MK interfaces but not nearly as nice as my X's although I do not have an ideal amp to power them. The 3's play at proper listening levels when connected to the servo amps and the frequency response is not compressed but the music is lifeless and the texture of the instruments is gone. Also, the bass is distorted. I am looking for ideas on why there is such a stark difference in the sound as I was told the pre-Spectra panels are interchangeable. Can it be the 3 vs. 5 wire? Any wisdom that can be shared would be appreciated. Also, I have played with the straight vs. curved patterns of the panels and that is not the reason for the difference, at least not the difference I am referring to. Thanks.
Old 12th February 2013, 07:20 PM   #523
diyAudio Member

Default Photos problem

Hi members this is to let you know that i add problems with my Potobucket account so there are photos that are no longer showing in some of my posts if you wish most of those images can be seen in my Flickr photo galery - - - link below. Thank You Flickr: mracoustat's Photostream
Old 12th February 2013, 07:55 PM   #524
diyAudio Member

Why not just load them directly to DIYAudio and avoid such issues?!!!!

FWIW

jer
Old 12th February 2013, 08:01 PM   #525
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, we prefer the photos to be attached here if you can do it. Please see this thread.
Pictures -- Why Not attach Them ??
Old 12th February 2013, 11:32 PM   #526
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello Paul,

Try washing the 3 wire panels. If they are old, they likely have tons of crud not only affecting the mylar's ability to vibrate, but also affecting the bias voltage.

A simple rinse in the shower, and allow to dry for 3 days.

The 5 wire panel is just a paired up stator wires on each end of the panel - it 'supplies" stator voltage to each end, while the 3 wire has a single "supply" wire on the stator...should not make much difference.

My money is on the panel cleaning.
Old 13th February 2013, 12:00 AM   #527
ktuuri is offline ktuuri  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Good advise, also I would retension the Panels as well, before putting them back in service.
Old 13th February 2013, 12:04 AM   #528
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john65b View Post
Hello Paul,

Try washing the 3 wire panels. If they are old, they likely have tons of crud not only affecting the mylar's ability to vibrate, but also affecting the bias voltage.

A simple rinse in the shower, and allow to dry for 3 days.

The 5 wire panel is just a paired up stator wires on each end of the panel - it 'supplies" stator voltage to each end, while the 3 wire has a single "supply" wire on the stator...should not make much difference.

Nothing like a good bath.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 14th February 2013, 01:14 PM   #529
diyAudio Member

I have been using the small Chord CPM-2600 integrated amplifier with my Acoustat 1+1s for close to two years now without any issues but to be fair i don't listend very loud with Acoustat's you don't have to everything is there even at low volumes at least for me my living room is 14x20x8 feet and also is in a condo i do respect the other owners.

PS: I now know how to attach files and i promiss that i will no longer use Photobucket on this forum ever again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chord CPM-2600 - 1000X750.jpg (152.7 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by MrAcoustat; 14th February 2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 14th February 2013, 01:27 PM   #530
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelm View Post
Andre, after you put your 1+1s in steel frames, how much did they change in terms of bass response? I bet they do not wobble at all like they do with mdf frames. How much do they weigh now?
Hi noelm, the steel frames was a major change in both my 1+1s and my friend Jocelyn's Spectra 8800s 200 pounds for the baby and close to 800 for the dad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Acoustat 1+1 01.jpg (94.8 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Acoustat Spectra 8800 05.jpg (49.7 KB, 122 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!