Acoustat Answer Man is here - Page 48 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2013, 03:32 AM   #471
diyAudio Member

JohnB, I have icepower as well and they don't even break a sweat on them.
Old 9th January 2013, 10:49 AM   #472
diyAudio Member

Delta, my room is 14X22, Speakers are against the long wall, approx 9 ft apart center to center, and approx 9 1/2 feet on the angle to my listening position. They are currently toed in so the center panel is aiming directly at my ears, not in front or behind.

I don't have a SPL meter, although I can d/l one for my IPhone and take some readings later. I was a jet engine mechanic in the Navy for 26 years so my hearing is, shall we say, less than pristine. I know I've had conventional loudspeakers that played much louder with less power, but not in the same league as far as quality.

John, let's pretend I don't know much about electronic components (because I don't). Where would I get the resistors and what do they do to the sound? I assume the overall idea is to present a more stable impedance load to the amps, am I correct? If it's that easy, what is the deal with the auto formers?
Old 9th January 2013, 12:28 PM   #473
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

I have M3 Acoustats An i run Them with 60 watts tube amps... 60years old tubes...
There parts that can be upgreaded....like the bias parts...yours bias is at about 3k...after 25-30 years gofig.you can redo the bias for about $100.uS for the Pr...
An the 50k res. big res. like less than 1" from 5kV may look ok...but i bet thay have holes in them from being driven buy amps that were never made to drive ESL.... the holes pull the out put down evey time bass get pushed...
but most never look at this an say i cantdrive the Acoustats....look when these Speakers were made there were the Evey Mans ESL....an the Amps made back then were far from ESL amps an thay work great for over 20years...Martinlogan Cost $$$$ an so do SoundLabes an Thay Last 10 years mabe... An thay need work all the time...but Acoustat should work for ever are it the Amp!....good luck with that....Look on this site there All the info you need about Acoustats an there are miny others

Last edited by tyu; 9th January 2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 9th January 2013, 12:42 PM   #474
diyAudio Member

Hmmm, set up like that I would think their canceling themselves out. better if you could stick them angled in the corners of the short wall, or halfway down the room on the long wall. I fiund Acoustats to be kind of a weird science , after about 87db which is extremely loud to me, most box jobs being point source will sound louder, but they are the craps in well layered sound.
PS: I think back in 89 I bought a set of 3's for 200 dollars from the Soundroom in Van, BC, They wouldn't play loud at all. I sent the interfaces to Hafler, they rebuilt them, didn't cost me a dime, except for shipping, dunno what they did but they were like my others , back to normal.

Last edited by DeltaStar; 9th January 2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: addon
Old 9th January 2013, 08:56 PM   #475
diyAudio Member

Yeah, Deltastar, the second one is how I have them, my equipment console sits exactly half way on the long wall and is flanked by the Acoustats. They sit out approx 3 feet from the back wall on the toed out end. I use blankets on the wall behind the Acoustats to tame the secondary reflections and bass traps in 2 of the corners. The lps, CDs and DVDs along one short wall provide diffusion and on the other is a low storage unit/record cleaning area with another blanket behind. All the seating occupies the opposite long wall. Tv is wall mounted above the console, so I can't easily change the room configuration.

Tyu, I think I understand your point. I've examined the membrane as closely as possible and can find no pinholes or anything. The 3's were owned by the same gentleman for the past 16 years and were well cared for. I'm hoping once Roy does his magic they may be easier to drive.

Thanks guys, and I'll post up after I measure the SPL.
Old 10th January 2013, 02:41 AM   #476
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Meat - (I feel funny calling you that, no offense) the resistors can be found off ebay, or any electronics shop. They give the amp something to work off of (yes, a more stable impedance). I can't say that I did not like the sound, but it may have changed the sound a little.

I also added another two diodes to the multiplier and raised the bias to 6kv and it also made it a bit easier for the amp too. tyu suggested it, and as long as it doesn't give you any noise/hiss/pops, is preferred over the resistor. It will also make your acoustats more efficient too. Just get the right diodes (only two) for the voltage...
Old 10th January 2013, 11:02 PM   #477
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the helpful suggestions guys, but I know next to nothing about electronics at the component level, can barely read most schematics, and would probably screw up some irreplaceable part in the interfaces if I went in mucking about.

Instead, today I added in a sub, and low/high passed the Acoustats/sub at 80 hz. The 'stats sound much happier and use less power by not having to deal with that low bass, and I'm rewarded with a deeper bass sound from the sub. It's just a Dayton 12" from Parts Express, drops off precipitously below 30 hz, and it's not extremely articulate, but it's what I have for now.

I ran a SPL test. and pushed 100 db(a) peaks measured from my listening position with no amp shutdown. I'm good to go for now, and will report in after Roy E. overhauls and mods the interfaces in the spring.

Thanks again for your help, (lurk mode ON)

Meat
Old 10th January 2013, 11:23 PM   #478
diyAudio Member

John, to understand why I chose the "Meat Popsicle" moniker:

1. Watch the movie "The 5th Element". meat popsicle - YouTube
or
2. Work outside all day in Maine winter.
Old 11th January 2013, 11:34 PM   #479
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

OK, I was thinking of some kind of Double Entendre....good that I was wrong, no?
Old 14th January 2013, 10:14 PM   #480
diyAudio Member

I'm currently evaluating an Onkyo TX-NR818 with my Spectra 11's and dual subs, and Audyssey MultEQ XT32 really takes the speakers to a new level in sound clarity and stereo imaging. I have previously used the free DRC software on the PC for calibration, but XT32 give me better results and it's much more convenient to have it in the receiver. The integration of the Spectra ESL panels, woofers (not originals though) and subs is perfectly seamless. The 818 also has a builtin digital XO (with configurable freq, phase and delay) so that you can bypass the Spectra XO's completely and connect the ESL panels and woofers to separate amp outputs. If you're considering a buying a receiver for your Spectra's I would definitely recommend giving the 818 (or some other model with XT32) a try.

Last edited by phazer99; 14th January 2013 at 10:17 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!