Acoustat Answer Man is here - Page 46 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2012, 06:45 PM   #451
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAcoustat View Post
Hi Brian technicaly i don't know much all i can tell you is that there are only one interface per speaker both speakers use only one Plinius SA-250 MK1V amplifier and with ALL Acoustat's the more panels you are driving the easier the load the most difficult load being MINE the 1+1s only 2 panels but 81 - 82dbs.
Then its acting as one big radiating surface.

Yes your correct that the 1 + 1 gives in 3dBs of efficiency compared to a two times as large surface like the Four or 2 + 2.
Another thing we noticed when we compared a friends 1 + 1 with my 2 + 2 is better bass punch of the latter.
Still another friend has an old pair of Sixes that fried literally two Van Medenvoort PA220 poweramps such a tough load it apparently presented to the melting amps.
I even had a big German Restek Exponent mono-amps (like the Accuphase M1000) with even the same specs as the Accuphase that gave in with a puff of smoke...
Old 16th December 2012, 10:27 PM   #452
diyAudio Member

This may seem odd, but I find low voltage output amps have a very difficult time with Acoustats, The reason I say this,,,The Bryston 6B monoblocks I have drove them with ease and had a rough time with .7 ohm Apogee Scintilla's, I had the Bryston's modified and they drive the Scintilla's with ease now. However I can not hook them up to the Acoustats no more, the overload lights fly on with no input at all. Yes they shove pile's of high current, great on ribbons, but useless on Acoustats. I have used lots of smaller amps even the Hafler 200 drove them, not loud, but it drove them, but it's a high voltage output, lot of tube amps use high voltage output as well, for instance my AR D250 250 watts per channel can't drive the Scintilla's, but plays with the Acoustats go figure! My Sansui BA 5000, 300w at 2 ohm smoke's if it even gets close to the Scintilla's, drive's Acoustats without a sweat. Al
Old 16th December 2012, 10:57 PM   #453
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaStar View Post
This may seem odd, but I find low voltage output amps have a very difficult time with Acoustats, The reason I say this,,,The Bryston 6B monoblocks I have drove them with ease and had a rough time with .7 ohm Apogee Scintilla's, I had the Bryston's modified and they drive the Scintilla's with ease now. However I can not hook them up to the Acoustats no more, the overload lights fly on with no input at all. Yes they shove pile's of high current, great on ribbons, but useless on Acoustats. I have used lots of smaller amps even the Hafler 200 drove them, not loud, but it drove them, but it's a high voltage output, lot of tube amps use high voltage output as well, for instance my AR D250 250 watts per channel can't drive the Scintilla's, but plays with the Acoustats go figure! My Sansui BA 5000, 300w at 2 ohm smoke's if it even gets close to the Scintilla's, drive's Acoustats without a sweat. Al
Ive heard this before but my experience is just the other way around.
My Yamaha M2 can deliver at least 40 Volts at 4 Ohms but does not like my Acoustats at all. My Levinson ML-2 puts out 17 Volts in every load you can imagine and drives the Acoustats with ease. It can be clipped but it seems to tolerate more from my 2 + 2s then the Yamaha M2.
A McIntosh MC-2500 did not like the Acoustats at all.

The highcurrent high voltage designs like the Krell KMA-200s, the Levinson ML-3 and Rowland model 7s were never fully taxed with the load from the Acoustats and could drive it with ease.
Threshold SA/1s lie somewhere between the Levinson ML-2s and the three powerhouses mentioned above.

So my experience is if you want it all with Acoustat choose a highcurrent highvoltage design. I think Acoustats need both voltage and current.

My ideal poweramplifier was the Rowland model 7 (latest incarnation) being both powerfull and musical sounding but my wife sanctioned it because the size of the ML-2s was her limit...

Last edited by RobertS61; 16th December 2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 16th December 2012, 11:11 PM   #454
diyAudio Member

I have been using the small Chord CPM-2600 integrated amplifier with my Acoustat 1+1s for close to two years now without any issues but to be fair i don't listend very loud with Acoustat's you don't have to everything is there even at low volumes at least for me my living room is 14x20x8 feet and also is in a condo i do respect the other owners.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 17th December 2012, 12:11 AM   #455
diyAudio Member

I think the interface looks after the stator voltage's, all the amp does is basically look after the bios ac. just my theory I'm probably wrong, but if their is a small amount of truth in it, voltage would push it more than current although both be needed. Knowing nothing of the workings of the interface, just guesswork on my part. Al
Old 17th December 2012, 12:20 AM   #456
john65b is online now john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

My model 3 had issues with every amp except my Krell KSA-50 Clone (it has a 1.2KVA Toroidal tranny). Even my Aleph 5 clone (albeit a 600VA toroid) and Icepower 1000ASP amp had a little difficulty....

In the end, all it took was a single series 1 ohm resistor in series with speaker to make it play nice with every amp I have. I guess I cheated? Never really listened for a sonic difference....
Old 31st December 2012, 04:34 PM   #457
diyAudio Member

Ok now that I have replaced the HF caps, I would like to lower my high freq 3db, my RTA says I have to much and its turned down. any ideas? Thanks Al
Old 31st December 2012, 08:39 PM   #458
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaStar View Post
Ok now that I have replaced the HF caps, I would like to lower my high freq 3db, my RTA says I have to much and its turned down. any ideas? Thanks Al
Hmmm, that's a new one on me. If anything, most folks say their Acoustats don't have enough top-end energy. Interpretation of RTA measurements must be done carefully. Did you have the microphone at the listening position? Most importantly, what do your EARS say?

If you already have the HF Balance control turned down to minimum, then I don't have any suggestions for reducing the HF content.
Old 31st December 2012, 08:54 PM   #459
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoustatAnswerMan View Post
Hmmm, that's a new one on me. If anything, most folks say their Acoustats don't have enough top-end energy. Interpretation of RTA measurements must be done carefully. Did you have the microphone at the listening position? Most importantly, what do your EARS say?

If you already have the HF Balance control turned down to minimum, then I don't have any suggestions for reducing the HF content.
Wow if Andy doesn't have an answer it's going to be hard to find one, i for one don't like excessif HF so i understand you very well this is one of the reasons i didn't want silver wire NOWHERE in my panels my wires are ALL copper but i do know that others prefer silver to each his own.
Old 31st December 2012, 10:14 PM   #460
diyAudio Member

My ears did say there was to much, I pinked them at 60' where I sit, Thats how I came up with about 3db. Al

Hide this!Advertise here!