Acoustat Answer Man is here - Page 45 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2012, 04:36 AM   #441
diyAudio Member

Yep I had a moscode 600 to, I wouldn't call it a great preformer by any means, lots better tubers on the market.
Moray those ref9's are class d icepower, My amps I use on the acoustats are classd icepower as well, The ref9 mono blocks had a rough time with my Scintilla's, My S250's handled them with ease and graciouslly ,got very high reviews even better than the ref9. They really are a nice sounding amp for a classD, It's here to stay Al
PS: building this one now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B&Oicepower.jpg (856.8 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by DeltaStar; 13th December 2012 at 05:03 AM. Reason: addon
Old 13th December 2012, 05:40 AM   #442
diyAudio Member

As far as I know they are not ICE amps at all and I agree stock not adjusted and the protection system sees the Acoustat as a problem waiting to happen but they can get the job done very well when dialed in. The big ARC switcher with analog supply was pretty good also. Keep us posted on you build. Best regards Moray James.
Old 13th December 2012, 03:36 PM   #443
diyAudio Member

Hi Moray, You are right, their a tri-path switching amp, my memory not up to what it used to be, I'm still a firm believer in well built PS front end and full regulation. There's a AR D250 around you retubed, wish it was a mk2, play safe Al
Old 15th December 2012, 04:21 PM   #444
diyAudio Member

Default Acoustat Spectra 8800 DIY Jocelyn Jeanson

Friday december 14/ 2012 i had the chance to sit in front of the biggest Acoustat i have ever seen in over 40 years with that make most everybody that know me know how i love every speaker Acoustat ever made because for ME it as always been one of the biggest bang for the buck out there well these panels are not only big the soundstage on these is incredible for a panel that wide here is a photo of me with the Spectra 8800 i am 5 foot 6 and weigh 225 pounds but next to the panel i look like a small person.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 15th December 2012, 05:33 PM   #445
diyAudio Member

I have only a meager 2 + 2...
The biggest production model was the Model Eight (professional series) though with two intrefaces per channel 3 Ohm parallel driven and 6 Ohm with two stereo´s or four mono´s.
Biggest Spectra were the 66/6600.
But these look phenomenal with an impeccable finish so it looks.
I bought my four panel stacked Acoustat´s new in 1990 and never parted with them.
Old 16th December 2012, 01:58 PM   #446
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianEno View Post
I have only a meager 2 + 2...
The biggest production model was the Model Eight (professional series) though with two intrefaces per channel 3 Ohm parallel driven and 6 Ohm with two stereo´s or four mono´s.
Biggest Spectra were the 66/6600.
But these look phenomenal with an impeccable finish so it looks.
I bought my four panel stacked Acoustat´s new in 1990 and never parted with them.
These Acoustat 1+1s are originals from 1984 they have been highly modified since then you can see the rebuild in my Flickr photo galery Flickr: mracoustat's Photostream in 25 steps if you wish enjoy. André MrAcoustat Sévigny.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by MrAcoustat; 16th December 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 16th December 2012, 02:55 PM   #447
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAcoustat View Post
These Acoustat 1+1s are originals from 1984 they have been highly modified since then you can see the rebuild in my Flickr photo galery Flickr: mracoustat's Photostream in 25 steps if you wish enjoy. André MrAcoustat Sévigny.
Chapeau, superb piece of craftmanship by your part.
All the energy of the moving mylar is passed on to the surrounding air as intended opposed to get trapped in a not so rigid frame.

Who made those Spectra 8800´s then and what´s there arrangement?
Eight vertically stacked Spectra units in a Four + Four arrangement I suppose?

Strange thing though is that the original non Spectra models with electrostatic elements in a side by side fashion used a slight curvature to adress the beaming effect. The Spectra technology adressed this problem with a active electrical solution inside the interface so the slight angling of the adjacent elements with the Spectra technology is not necessary anymore.
Old 16th December 2012, 03:20 PM   #448
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Chapeau, superb piece of craftmanship by your part.
All the energy of the moving mylar is passed on to the surrounding air as intended opposed to get trapped in a not so rigid frame.

Who made those Spectra 8800´s then and what´s there arrangement?
Eight vertically stacked Spectra units in a Four + Four arrangement I suppose?

Strange thing though is that the original non Spectra models with electrostatic elements in a side by side fashion used a slight curvature to adress the beaming effect. The Spectra technology adressed this problem with a active electrical solution inside the interface so the slight angling of the adjacent elements with the Spectra technology is not necessary anymore.
Hi Brian the Spectra 8800s where built from a pair of Spectra 6600s with the addition of a pair of 1+1s joined together with a special all steel frame bolted together with only a quarter inch space between them they are straight no curve at all. André
Old 16th December 2012, 03:54 PM   #449
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAcoustat View Post
Hi Brian the Spectra 8800s where built from a pair of Spectra 6600s with the addition of a pair of 1+1s joined together with a special all steel frame bolted together with only a quarter inch space between them they are straight no curve at all. André
I say no more....

Well only this :
How is the 1 + 1 feeded? From the same Spectra 6600 interface or still from it´s own interface. Is there any active filtering going on between the 6600 and 1 + 1 part or is it just behaving as one big unit like with the Eights and Sixes?
Old 16th December 2012, 05:20 PM   #450
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I say no more....

Well only this :
How is the 1 + 1 feeded? From the same Spectra 6600 interface or still from it´s own interface. Is there any active filtering going on between the 6600 and 1 + 1 part or is it just behaving as one big unit like with the Eights and Sixes?
Hi Brian technicaly i don't know much all i can tell you is that there are only one interface per speaker both speakers use only one Plinius SA-250 MK1V amplifier and with ALL Acoustat's the more panels you are driving the easier the load the most difficult load being MINE the 1+1s only 2 panels but 81 - 82dbs.

Hide this!Advertise here!