Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2012, 12:27 AM   #431
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielm View Post
I have a pr of 1+1s that I bought back in the 80s when they were released. For the last several years they have been at my cabin and have been used by several 'friends' that have spent weekends there.
Last time I checked them they sounded very lifeless, inefficient and had very little output. My first thought was the HV bias supply had failed. I've checked with a crude diy HV probe and it looks to be fine. At this point I am wondering if one of the audio xformers has been damaged.
Can I use a scope and check the transformers at low levels? If so, What should the step up ratio be?

Great thread! I would love to get them working how I remember them!
If you're so inclined, it would be worth the cost & effort to replace all the caps/resistors/diodes with current level quality parts. Can be done fairly cheaply and will improve the sound and reliability. They are 20+ year old speakers, after all. Stock, the 1+1 is a great speaker (even at 20+ years old) but the interfaces can benefit from an update. Good luck!
Old 12th December 2012, 01:15 AM   #432
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hella356 View Post
If you're so inclined, it would be worth the cost & effort to replace all the caps/resistors/diodes with current level quality parts. Can be done fairly cheaply and will improve the sound and reliability. They are 20+ year old speakers, after all. Stock, the 1+1 is a great speaker (even at 20+ years old) but the interfaces can benefit from an update. Good luck!
Yes they sure can and at a very reasonable cost, go ahead they are realy wort it.
Old 12th December 2012, 02:15 AM   #433
danielm is offline danielm  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hella356 View Post
I believe I can source all the components locally. The plan is to fetch the 1+1s this weekend and tear into the matching network at the house where I have more gear/time. Hopefully the panels are OK. I'm not afraid of the other stuff including rewinding a transformer.

Should the panels ever require retensioning with a heat gun? How does one determine the proper tension? Panel resonance?

What is the proper bias voltage?

What is the step up ratio of the transformers?

I would like to measure and document all this.
Old 12th December 2012, 06:45 PM   #434
diyAudio Member

Well my 2+2's are finally taking form, weird how they can go down hill and come right back singing like never heard before, I guess CAPS do need a good break in period, still have the head in a vise effect tho, inch either way and you know it, question is, I wonder what effect angling the panels more or less in the frame might widen it? I have a spare set to play with. I just may buy another set and make model 8's. Thanks Al
Old 12th December 2012, 09:16 PM   #435
diyAudio Member

Al you can expect the caps to keep changing for many weeks to come though the changes get smaller. If you insert a cap and it sounds stunning for a brief time you can be sure that no matter what is does while it is forming it will never end up worse than the best you heard and will likely improve with play time. Good to hear that you are making head way with the capacitors. When I ran 2+2's i used to work off the inside panels (left and right) and centre them aiming around my shoulders. Angling panels is to me a poor compromise either make them flat and live with a very tight sweet spot or make them smaller ala 0ne plus 0ne's. That is why the 0ne plus 0ne is the best staging image producing of the Acoustat family. Six inch wide panels would be even better. Going bigger is going backwards from a stage image and focus point of view. I have found that most of the time when an owner complains that his Acoustat's beam the cause is most always the amp. An amp can play loud run at normal temps not shut down and even make bass but that does not mean it likes or does well with the load. With an amp which is happy to run the load you can sit at either end of a couch and get very good stage and image. No it won't be the same as the centre spot but it will be very good.
You are in for a great Christmas time as your caps will be sounding great by then. Merry Christmas to you in Rider territory. Best regards Moray James.
Old 12th December 2012, 09:47 PM   #436
diyAudio Member

ROFLMAO !!!! Rider territory? Awh you mean the team that tries to catch up, your stampeder's made it further lol. Oh buy the way, I drove 2+2's fine with a Hafler 500 yrs ago MX to you also, have a drink on me Al
Old 13th December 2012, 02:27 AM   #437
diyAudio Member

The Hafler is one of the amps which actually was reasonably stable it had lotss of current and plenty of volts to swing so that wat the advantage ther it was and is not (in stock form) al thet great a sounding amp though it is well enough balanced except for the deep bass register. Up graded it can impress so they make a good used buy so long as you can stand the fan, I can't. The Meitner amps work very well like a STR50 small amp runs a set of 2+2's very well they too need upgrading though. Ed used 2+2 as his reference for years and is a good bud of Jim Strickland. The older Msofer Luxman amps will also do a fine job There is newer stuff. a properly adjusted set of NuForce Ref9's sound excellent but you have to get the protection dialed in or they spend the day turning off and level seems to have nothing to do with it.. Hey the green Machine always seem to have the Stamps number all to often and very often right here in Calgary where it hurts most to loose. Just slip that drink in the mail. Best regards Moray James.
Old 13th December 2012, 03:11 AM   #438
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moray james View Post
The Hafler is one of the amps which actually was reasonably stable it had lotss of current and plenty of volts to swing so that wat the advantage ther it was and is not (in stock form) al thet great a sounding amp though it is well enough balanced except for the deep bass register. Up graded it can impress so they make a good used buy so long as you can stand the fan, I can't. The Meitner amps work very well like a STR50 small amp runs a set of 2+2's very well they too need upgrading though. Ed used 2+2 as his reference for years and is a good bud of Jim Strickland. The older Msofer Luxman amps will also do a fine job There is newer stuff. a properly adjusted set of NuForce Ref9's sound excellent but you have to get the protection dialed in or they spend the day turning off and level seems to have nothing to do with it.. Hey the green Machine always seem to have the Stamps number all to often and very often right here in Calgary where it hurts most to loose. Just slip that drink in the mail. Best regards Moray James.
When in Montreal Ed Meitner's reference speakers where yes you guessed it the Acoustat 2+2s they belonged to the rep Denis Robert it was one of the best systems back then MTR-101s x 4 - PA-6 preamp & CD-3 cd player i think it would even be pretty darn good today.
Old 13th December 2012, 03:13 AM   #439
r8833 is online now r8833  Canada
diyAudio Member

Moscode 600 works very well with acoustats. Moray James suggested I get one and I love it
Old 13th December 2012, 03:28 AM   #440
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8833 View Post
Moscode 600 works very well with acoustats. Moray James suggested I get one and I love it
Yes sir, New York Audio Labs gear was realy good stuff.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!