Acoustat Answer Man is here - Page 41 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2012, 12:55 AM   #401
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestermo View Post
Hello guys,

New member, first post. I have a pair of Spectra 11s that I bought new in 1990. I have always loved the sound. I performed the Mundorf cap mod described by Phazer99 in post #355 of this thread and all I can say is wow. Am I glad I found this site. Thanks to all for posting up info.

Lamar
Welcome, always good to hear success stories from people learning on this site.
Old 5th December 2012, 01:03 AM   #402
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestermo View Post
Hello guys,

New member, first post. I have a pair of Spectra 11s that I bought new in 1990. I have always loved the sound. I performed the Mundorf cap mod described by Phazer99 in post #355 of this thread and all I can say is wow. Am I glad I found this site. Thanks to all for posting up info.

Lamar
Welcome Lamar, yes this site is pretty incredible and whe get the chance to meet very nice people of course most here are Acoustat fans so whe already know that they are good people.
Old 5th December 2012, 03:15 AM   #403
diyAudio Member

I currently have a pair of Model 1s with the sub and thinking of getting a pair of Model 2s, that are about an hour away from me. Is this a worthwhile upgrade or should I wait for a pair of 1+1s, which seem to get a lot of praise? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 5th December 2012, 03:33 AM   #404
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawg81 View Post
I currently have a pair of Model 1s with the sub and thinking of getting a pair of Model 2s, that are about an hour away from me. Is this a worthwhile upgrade or should I wait for a pair of 1+1s, which seem to get a lot of praise? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Bulldawg81 Just to be real honest i haven't heard a pair of Acoustat's that i haven't liked BUT in 28 years i have owned Spectra 22s - 33s - 2+2s - and three pairs of 1+1s MY preference goes to the 1+1s BUT if you prefer your music loud then go for any of the bigger 94 inches high models they will play MUCH louder but the 1+1s are the most tri dimensional of the bunch.

ps: i live in a condo i don't listend loud and i don't like subwoofers ( even if i had the room ) if i did my choice would be Spectra 6600s

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mracoustat/

Last edited by MrAcoustat; 5th December 2012 at 03:41 AM.
Old 5th December 2012, 11:00 AM   #405
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

It well only take 5min for you to know if you feel the M2 are better..an if the $$ is right..an you do any Diy in this hobby....the M2s have the same panels an interfases as the 1+1s...an with the one panel you have you can make a pr M3s like i have..are a pr 1+1.. or just get one more panel an have a pr of 2+2s... in 95 i payer $500.for 1+1s...have fun

Last edited by tyu; 5th December 2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 5th December 2012, 11:19 AM   #406
diyAudio Member

In the Acoustat camp there are the 6 footers and the 8 footers both very good BUT both very different IF you don't have the height for the taller one's then you don't have a CHOICE but IF you do go for the 8 footers.
PS: The most popular model in the line as always been the 2+2s.
This site is for ALL stats lovers. http://www.hifi-zenit.de/index.php?src=elektrostaten

Last edited by MrAcoustat; 5th December 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 5th December 2012, 12:53 PM   #407
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

I got way from the taller...Acoustats i have found the 1+1...2+2..are what ever ..just FOR ME are not needed ...
1. I can hear were the top an the bottem of the panels meet!
2. I dont stand.... i set down in my biger room...So for my ears...geting the middel of the panels at ear level...sounds better...now if i could get the 2+2s up off the floor 15-18"............i like to hear that...oh yea.....fun
.just one mans 0-pine...
Hell any Acoustat vary hard to beet....
long live acoustats
Old 5th December 2012, 02:25 PM   #408
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyu View Post
I got way from the taller...Acoustats i have found the 1+1...2+2..are what ever ..just FOR ME are not needed ...
1. I can hear were the top an the bottem of the panels meet!
2. I dont stand.... i set down in my biger room...So for my ears...geting the middel of the panels at ear level...sounds better...now if i could get the 2+2s up off the floor 15-18"............i like to hear that...oh yea.....fun
.just one mans 0-pine...
Hell any Acoustat vary hard to beet....
long live acoustats
To me, there is that discontinuity between the upper & lower panels, too, and the closer to the center of the panel my ears are (vertically) the better they sound. That's why I'm contemplating trying to build double height panels. Not sure if it will work well, but the idea of gluing acrylic louvers together at the ends to form single 8' tall panel seems doable. Harder to make, I'm sure, but then I'd only have to make 8 of them instead of 16 regular sized panels for my eventual "Monitor 8" project. Not sure what electrical/mechanical differences would be introduced as far as interfacing with the Servo amps might be, but I think that would solve the issue.
Old 6th December 2012, 12:50 AM   #409
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the inputs, what I'm wanting is better imaging and that's what I'm hoping for with the Model 2s. As far diy goes, that's something I guess I could eventually look into. The only thing for me is finding time to actually go see them. I guess I'll give the guy a call and set up an audition. Again, thank you for everybody's input.
Old 6th December 2012, 03:58 PM   #410
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawg81 View Post
Thank you for the inputs, what I'm wanting is better imaging and that's what I'm hoping for with the Model 2s. As far diy goes, that's something I guess I could eventually look into. The only thing for me is finding time to actually go see them. I guess I'll give the guy a call and set up an audition. Again, thank you for everybody's input.
If you're looking for better imaging, then you probably won't find it in the Model Two. The Model One and Model 1+1 are generally considered to have the best imaging of the pre-Spectra Acoustat models.

That being said, it might still be worth giving the Model Two an audition. Having twice the panel area compared to the Model One, and being a full range ESL, you may find other reasons to prefer the Model Two. It will play louder, and the quality of bass will be far superior. The trade-off of slightly less precise imaging may become secondary compared to the Model Two's advantages.

The Model 1+1 may be the best choice for you if you have full 8-foot ceilings. It has essentially the same imaging as the Model One, while offering the advantages of having twice the panel area and being a full-range ESL. So many choices!

Hide this!Advertise here!