Acoustat Answer Man is here - Page 38 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2012, 06:08 AM   #371
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frommerstop View Post
Unfortunately I think the speaker either fell over onto something, or something was knocked into it, but either way, the top third of the 8" panel was punched completely out! Plastic grill & Mylar are destroyed. Amazingly, they still play... even the damaged panel works a little - buzzes, but works. I bought them this way (yes, they were pretty cheap), but at the time I didn't know how much harder 8" panels are to find.

I'm debating making a pair of 1+1s out of them, or maybe even trying a pair of spare Soundlab Dynastat/A2x panels I have, in place of the 8" Acoustat pieces.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I have a collection. My main (electrostatic)speakers are Quad ESL-63s on Arcici stands (I have several other cone speakers in other systems). Sitting in my basement in addition to the Model 3s,and a pair of Spectra 11s, I have a spare set of 63s (one bass panel has a tear), Crown ES224s (fully working, but I'm planning on restoring the cabs & power supplys), 2pr KLH9s (1pr good, 1pr for spares), Martin Logan CLS (1 panel stopped working, haven't yet diagnosed it), Soundlab Dynastats (+ pr of spare panels), and a box of misc. RTR & Janzen panels (10-12 maybe - all work, I think).
So you can see, I have quite a bit to work with, but not sure what I want to do with them. Any suggestions?
MY suggestion if but only if you don't like your music to loud, i would choose Acoustat 1+1s, first it is a good speaker when stock, but once modified it become's a very good speaker, second they are almost indestructable and will last a very long time, i'm not biased one bit.
Old 18th October 2012, 12:01 PM   #372
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow. I just sold off my last pair of 8" panels.

I too have a few ESLs, a pair of Model 3's (Modded), a pair of Model 1 (Stock) and a pair of CLS I and CLS II Panels. I also have Tympani IVa and Tympani ID that I need to rewire (not ESL, but hey)...

The CLS I were torn apart and I replaced the mylar and spars...the CLS II has been opened, and mylar cleaned off (what filth).

My currrent setup is CLS I for 300hz and up (driven by a Acoustat MK-121A Interface), and the Model 3 300hz and below. I use a DCX2496 Active xover. Fantastic. I want to mod the model 3 interface to remove the HF transformer, and use just the single LF transformer, and drive all three panels from it 300hz and lower. Should be interesting.

The CLS's I like best for upper range. And to me the sweet spot IS much wider than the Acoustats.

Are you looking to sell your CLS Frames? If so, let me know.

Last edited by john65b; 18th October 2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 20th October 2012, 09:00 PM   #373
tonepub is offline tonepub  United States
diyAudio Member

Just wanted to say thanks to all here for the help on the 1+1s. Sent my interfaces off to Roy Esposito and am anxiously awaiting their return. I'll get some pics of the room up when they are back.
Old 21st October 2012, 03:28 AM   #374
lpd is offline lpd  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have 1+1s and Xs on servos with fantastic results. Thanks to John for the 8" panels for the rebuild.
Old 21st October 2012, 12:19 PM   #375
diyAudio Member

Not a problem... I'll let you know if the others panels come available...

Trying to decide between heavily modified ML CLS, Magnepan Tympani IVa, and a modified Acoustat setup....not easy...
Old 21st October 2012, 10:42 PM   #376
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john65b View Post
Not a problem... I'll let you know if the others panels come available...

Trying to decide between heavily modified ML CLS, Magnepan Tympani IVa, and a modified Acoustat setup....not easy...

I figured out the imbalance on the speakers. Panels are fine preamp isn't although I can always use spares.
Old 23rd October 2012, 01:15 AM   #377
diyAudio Member

lpd - Cool - which panels sound better the X's or the M3's?
Old 23rd October 2012, 04:07 AM   #378
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john65b View Post
lpd - Cool - which panels sound better the X's or the M3's?
Same panels although I prefer the servo amps. I was nervous about the servos based on my web browsing research but with some TLC they are great. They really do midrange right. My 1+1s on interfaces are no slouch either.
Old 27th October 2012, 05:48 AM   #379
diyAudio Member

Default Congradulation Mike

Congradulation Mike for your purchase of the Acoustat's Spectra 22s that i sold you i hope that you will be happy i think that you made a very good decision these speakers are over 20 years old i know them very well they use to be in the family i am the one that bought the marble bases for them YES pink to match a black carpet in those days.

PS: Welcome to the Acoustat proud owners club.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by MrAcoustat; 27th October 2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old 27th October 2012, 11:40 AM   #380
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the post...great pic...never seen any of this type...thay were DIyed??

Hide this!Advertise here!