Acoustat Answer Man is here - Page 35 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2012, 06:52 PM   #341
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom666 View Post
Hi Andy
Here is my attempt at a Monitor 4/ Spectra 44. There are 4 x 9" panels at a 6 degree angle. 2 panels are 3 wire and 2 panels are 5 wire .I am going to drive them with a MK121C interface initally. I also have a Spectra MK2123 interface .My question is can I drive the 4 panels with the Spectra 33 tap ,or will there be too much bass?
Thanks
Andrew
Using the '33' (orange) tap to drive 4 panels will yield more bass than intended, but too much? That will be a matter of taste. It will not be a huge difference.

Keep in mind that the Spectra system (Symmetric Pair Electrically Curved TRAnsducer) is designed to operate with all panels in the same plane, and not with an angle between panels as in earlier models. Not sure what the final result might be, but it will not be the same as a Spectra unless you arrange the panels all in one plane. Otherwise, you may get some weird imaging and/or anomolies in horizontal dispersion.
Old 4th October 2012, 07:52 PM   #342
Atom666 is offline Atom666  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAcoustat View Post
Ok Andrew did not notice that particular post but one thing i can tell you is that i had a friend like you that could not fit his Acoustat's 2+2s in his basement for the same reason ( height ) he did what you did 4 panels side by side they realy sounded good BUT did not sound like normal 2+2s BUT better than any boxed speaker at the same price

PS: They do look very nice ENJOY

Hi Andre
Sorry I missed you and Jocelyn at TAVES but I did say hello from the elevator
Old 5th October 2012, 02:12 AM   #343
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom666 View Post
Hi Andre
Sorry I missed you and Jocelyn at TAVES but I did say hello from the elevator
So i guess you where one of the guy's in the elevator it was a fast meeting just as fast as Acoustat's enjoy my friend.
Old 11th October 2012, 06:35 PM   #344
diyAudio Member

Interesting discussion, particularly around the double pair of Spectra 11s. I have a pair of Model 3s with a damaged 8" (center) driver. I also have a pair of Spectra 11s, and I've been thinking about using the Spectra 11 panels in the middle of the 3s. I was thinking of using the woofer output of the Spectra's supply to feed the input of the supply for the 3s.Basically I'm talking about using 2/3s of the 3s as replacement for the cone woofers on the Spectra 11s. The goal is, a "poor man's semi-Spectra 33". Does anyone here see a problem with this?
Old 11th October 2012, 06:49 PM   #345
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frommerstop View Post
Interesting discussion, particularly around the double pair of Spectra 11s. I have a pair of Model 3s with a damaged 8" (center) driver. I also have a pair of Spectra 11s, and I've been thinking about using the Spectra 11 panels in the middle of the 3s. I was thinking of using the woofer output of the Spectra's supply to feed the input of the supply for the 3s.Basically I'm talking about using 2/3s of the 3s as replacement for the cone woofers on the Spectra 11s. The goal is, a "poor man's semi-Spectra 33". Does anyone here see a problem with this?
There is a single 8" panel on ebay:

Acoustat 8" Panel Works Good! | eBay
Old 11th October 2012, 07:22 PM   #346
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'll admit your proposal left my head spinning a bit! Is there no end to the permutations of old Acoustats? Ha-ha.

Not entirely sure what you mean about the Spectra 'woofer output'. If you mean the output of the lowpass crossover (which normally feeds the Spectra woofer) you will almost certainly need to modify the crossover, since it will be driving a very different load (the Model 3's interface). If I have misunderstood your proposal, please correct me.
Old 11th October 2012, 07:37 PM   #347
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Frommerstop, first you need an 8 inch panel the Spectra panel is 9 inch that's one thing there are other issues you are in for lot's of work send me your e-mail and i will put you in contact with someone that can help you. André

mracoustat@videotro.ca
Old 11th October 2012, 07:39 PM   #348
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoustatAnswerMan View Post
I'll admit your proposal left my head spinning a bit! Is there no end to the permutations of old Acoustats? Ha-ha.
One of the coolest things about Acoustats, as it turns out, is the many ways (without too much difficulty) they can be altered, sliced & diced, improved, combined, etc. to yield truly unique and excellent sounding speaker systems.
Old 11th October 2012, 07:45 PM   #349
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hella356 View Post
One of the coolest things about Acoustats, as it turns out, is the many ways (without too much difficulty) they can be altered, sliced & diced, improved, combined, etc. to yield truly unique and excellent sounding speaker systems.
All you need is someone that know's what he's doing and if he as been doing it for awhile it also help's.
Old 11th October 2012, 07:52 PM   #350
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoustatAnswerMan View Post

Not entirely sure what you mean about the Spectra 'woofer output'. If you mean the output of the lowpass crossover (which normally feeds the Spectra woofer) you will almost certainly need to modify the crossover, since it will be driving a very different load (the Model 3's interface). If I have misunderstood your proposal, please correct me.
Yes, that's pretty much it. I'm suggesting using the lowpass out to feed the Model 3s controller. I didn't think it would require a modification of the Spectra's crossover though, because it's already designed to drive a dynamic load - presumably 4-8 ohm, that the cone woofer would need. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I figured it was most likely a pretty straight signal (below 350hz or so) from the source amplifier to that woofer, so how would it be different than just running the signal straight from the amp to the 3s? I suppose, I could just bi-amp them with an outboard active crossover to spit the 11s from the 3s, but it seems, in my limited crossover experience, like it would work using the passive Acoustat components.

Hide this!Advertise here!