Acoustat Answer Man is here - Page 32 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2012, 01:25 AM   #311
diyAudio Member

When I had Spectra 11's replacing the electrolytic capacitor crossing over the panel to a polycap made a significant increase in performance to my ears. Then upon suggestion from someone on the Apogee forum I replaced the polycap with a piece of wire running the panel full range and that sounded better still. I never heard any audible distortion from the panel and ran them that way for years without any problems.
Old 13th September 2012, 06:25 AM   #312
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosounder View Post
When I had Spectra 11's replacing the electrolytic capacitor crossing over the panel to a polycap made a significant increase in performance to my ears. Then upon suggestion from someone on the Apogee forum I replaced the polycap with a piece of wire running the panel full range and that sounded better still. I never heard any audible distortion from the panel and ran them that way for years without any problems.
I assume you disconnected the Spectra woofers then? Did you have some external high pass filter and a sub for the lower range (I don't think a single Spectra panel can be driven down to 40 Hz)?

I have a digital crossover filter in my amp (up to 250 Hz), so in theory I could disconnect the Spectra woofers and bypass the internal panel high pass filter. Would that risk damaging the Spectra panel or electronics? Ideally I would want to set the crossover at about 100 Hz.
Old 13th September 2012, 07:37 AM   #313
diyAudio Member

I found 1100 crossovers on ebay, that allowed me to biamp the panels and woofer. To get the best out of the Spectra 11 imo, is to run the panels full range and put a better 8" in there. Just be aware that running the panels full range presents a harder load for your amplifier. You need a good amplifier to drive low impedance loads, I had a few that did not like the Acoustats, and that only got worse after I ran the panels full range. Ultimately after going down that road I ended up taking the panel out and mating it with various different "subwoofers", all of which I liked better than the 11"s original design. But none of which I thought would be better than to run multiple panels. The Acoustat panels sound amazing and to mate their sound with a cone driver is a very hard thing to do.
Old 13th September 2012, 08:45 AM   #314
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoustatAnswerMan View Post
I am not convinced that you really need an 18-dB/octave slope on the high-pass, which would be very difficult to implement without an active filter. The Model 6 has a very respectable bottom-end by itself, so I don't see the need to eliminate its contributions in such a rapid manner (i.e. a steep slope). I would also recommend lowering the crossover point to about 80-Hz.

I am using a powered subwoofer with my Spectra 4400's, and use a simple 6-dB/octave slope on the high pass (set at 80-Hz), in the form of a capacitor in series with the main amplifier input. The low pass is the woofer's built-in 12-dB/octave active filter. As with adding a subwoofer to any speaker system, you'll need to fiddle with the level, phase and crossover frequency to get a seamless transition.

As a matter of fact, I rigged a switch to bypass the capacitor in series with the amplifier input, so that I could try it with or without the high pass in-circuit. In my situation, I got the best results WITHOUT the high pass, and am using only the low pass on the woofer. Although I think I got the two systems pretty well integrated, I still find myself adjusting the woofer's level control for some program material, since the low bass content varies so much between recordings. And when it comes to watching movies, I often feel the need to reduce the level of bass, as the bass content on DVD's is often overdone for 'dramatic' effect.
Thanks !

Its not the quantity of bass, as they certainly go low and there is more than enough bass. I guess what Im looking for is "dynamic" (for want of a better word) bass, thats tight and tuneful. I find the Acoustat bass, while extendng down far enough, does not have the snap and punch Im used to ?

My most recent speakers have been Infinity Rennaisance 90's and Acoustic Energy AE3 MKII Floorstanders, bit of which are great performers, esp in the bass and upper bass areas.

I guess Im looking for the Acoustats to do everything .... not such a big ask is it ?

Cheers

Scott
Old 13th September 2012, 12:59 PM   #315
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Your choice of amplifier will dramatically effect the way an Acoustat sounds.

The positioning in the room, and the nature of the room is also rather critical.

...my 2 cents worth.

_-_-bear
Old 14th September 2012, 06:54 PM   #316
diyAudio Member

Quote:
One can certainly bypass the input capacitor with straight wire, but doing so can lead to saturation of the transformer, since it is not designed for low frequency operation. This will also lower the low-frequency impedance considerably, making the load more difficult for the amplifier.

A better choice, if one is interested in experimenting with this idea, is to parallel the input capacitor with a 1-ohm, 50-watt resistor. This will largely remove the high-pass filter, while reducing the likelihood of transformer saturation. If going this route, one can also remove the parallel resistor (10-ohm?) in the input network, whose only function is to form the highpass filter along with the capacitor. With the capacitor bypassed with a resistor, the parallel resistor will act as a voltage divider, wasting amplifier voltage swing.
Old 14th September 2012, 07:09 PM   #317
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I found 1100 crossovers on ebay, that allowed me to biamp the panels and woofer. To get the best out of the Spectra 11 imo, is to run the panels full range and put a better 8" in there. Just be aware that running the panels full range presents a harder load for your amplifier. You need a good amplifier to drive low impedance loads, I had a few that did not like the Acoustats, and that only got worse after I ran the panels full range. Ultimately after going down that road I ended up taking the panel out and mating it with various different "subwoofers", all of which I liked better than the 11"s original design. But none of which I thought would be better than to run multiple panels. The Acoustat panels sound amazing and to mate their sound with a cone driver is a very hard thing to do.
Agree 100%, a hybrid is NOT a full range and yes full range is much harder for the amp i know i have the most difficult of all Acoustat's the 1+1s ( 81 - 82 db ) but for ME the king of three dimensional soundstage at reasonable volume.
Old 14th September 2012, 07:14 PM   #318
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionutz View Post
Thanks !

Its not the quantity of bass, as they certainly go low and there is more than enough bass. I guess what Im looking for is "dynamic" (for want of a better word) bass, thats tight and tuneful. I find the Acoustat bass, while extendng down far enough, does not have the snap and punch Im used to ?

My most recent speakers have been Infinity Rennaisance 90's and Acoustic Energy AE3 MKII Floorstanders, bit of which are great performers, esp in the bass and upper bass areas.

I guess Im looking for the Acoustats to do everything .... not such a big ask is it ?

Cheers

Scott
Hey Scott, could you please tell me what amplification you are using and please remember that the Spectra 11s - 1000s - where the beginning of the Acoustat line.
Old 14th September 2012, 08:08 PM   #319
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAcoustat View Post
Hey Scott, could you please tell me what amplification you are using and please remember that the Spectra 11s - 1100s - where the beginning of the Acoustat line.
Sorry for the double post but i wanted to make a correction but the edit button was GONE it was Spectra 11s - 1100s -

Last edited by MrAcoustat; 14th September 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 15th September 2012, 09:35 AM   #320
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAcoustat View Post
Hey Scott, could you please tell me what amplification you are using and please remember that the Spectra 11s - 1000s - where the beginning of the Acoustat line.
Im using an Australian made amp, an ME-75. Extremely stable. I have used a variety of this brand over the years. This particular unit drove my Scintillas effortlessly to high levels. Re-capped with Nichicons and biased up to about 15w class A.

My speakers are the Model 6 I believe ? 4 x MK-121 Pwr Supplies, 3 panels across and two high.

Regards

Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ME_75_data.jpg (578.4 KB, 133 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!