Acoustat Answer Man is here - Page 27 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2012, 02:46 PM   #261
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info Daudio1 and Frommerstop.

I'll make sure they are plugged in plenty of time ahead of any serious test listening. I hope I will be pleasantly surprised by the sound, and make it home with a pair of good stats
Old 18th July 2012, 03:17 PM   #262
diyAudio Member

Acoustat Spectra 11s/1100s where the least expensive of the Acoustat line but well worth $400 at least for me it's a very good start into the panel world for me it all started in 1984 and it is still going on in 2012 if you have the room may i suggest that you go for any of the 94 inches high double stacked models they will be the last speakers you will ever buy 1+1s - 2+2s - Spectra 44s - 4400s - 6s - 66s - 6600s - and finaly the 8s not to many of those around.MrAcoustat

Flickr: mracoustat's Photostream
Old 18th July 2012, 03:35 PM   #263
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

What about model 3's ....?
Old 18th July 2012, 03:40 PM   #264
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
What about model 3's ....?
Hy i like ALL Acoustat's but i prefer the double stacked 94 inches models there is something special going on with the panels up there but you do need an 8 foot ceiling BUT if you have it go for it you will have friend's for life.

For more information this link should answer many of your questions.

http://www.audiocircuit.com/Home-Audio/Acoustat

Last edited by MrAcoustat; 18th July 2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 19th July 2012, 07:19 PM   #265
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frommerstop View Post
....the caps take a while to charge up from those little wall warts....
Some folks may infer from your comment that the rate at which the panels initially charge is somehow limited by the 'little wall warts'. Allow me to assure everyone that this is NOT the case. Although some Acoustat owners (myself included) have replaced their wall transformers with something more robust, the time to reach full charge is solely dependent on the characteristics of the internal bias power supply and the panels themselves. Unless you won't be listening for an extended period, Acoustat always recommended that the speakers remain energized at all times.

Another comment above offered the advice to dis-assemble the speaker before moving it. This is indeed wise advise, and becomes essential for the larger models. The frame assemblies are not designed to carry the weight of the base and interface units, and picking up the speaker as a whole will very likely damage the frame internally. If you need to move the speaker just a short distance, such as for fine-tuning the speaker's position, always grab the speaker by the base and slide it around on the floor. Do not grab the frame, as this will result in a torsional force on the frame that could easily cause damage. My Spectra 4400's, which I bought used, had been moved without disassembly before I took ownership. I had to do quite a bit of gluing and reinforcing of the frames to repair the damage that resulted from this mishandling.

Last edited by AcoustatAnswerMan; 19th July 2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 21st July 2012, 10:36 PM   #266
diyAudio Member

Charge up time for panels is NOT the end of the world, with all kinds of mods done to six different pair of Acoustat's i believe that discharged completely as soon as you plug them you CAN listend to them, after about 6 hours they start to sound pretty darn good, after 24 i think that they are 90% charged and after 48 if not at 100% they are pretty darn close, but for ME i would rather listend to a pair of Acoustat's after 6 hours than a pair of boxed speakers, of course i'm not biased one bit.

Last edited by MrAcoustat; 21st July 2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 22nd July 2012, 09:16 PM   #267
diyAudio Member

Bought the Spectra 11's. I wasn't that impressed when I listened to them in the sellers room, but bought them anyway. Now that I've set them up at home and listened to them for a few hours I think they sound pretty darn amazing (scary thing they'll probably sound even better after a few days of playing and tweaking). Probably the best speakers I've heard except maybe for the ML ElectroMotions. Considering I payed about $400 it's easily the best hifi purchase I've ever done.

Thanks guys for helping me out.
Old 22nd July 2012, 09:27 PM   #268
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazer99 View Post
Bought the Spectra 11's. I wasn't that impressed when I listened to them in the sellers room, but bought them anyway. Now that I've set them up at home and listened to them for a few hours I think they sound pretty darn amazing (scary thing they'll probably sound even better after a few days of playing and tweaking). Probably the best speakers I've heard except maybe for the ML ElectroMotions. Considering I payed about $400 it's easily the best hifi purchase I've ever done.

Thanks guys for helping me out.
I don't know what you are using for amplification but one thing i can tell you is that GOOD amplification will get you the maximum out of those speakers and for me your NEXT step up will be FULL RANGE 94 inches high models welcome to the Acoustat proud owners club and enjoy your new venture.
Old 22nd July 2012, 09:34 PM   #269
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAcoustat View Post
I don't know what you are using for amplification but one thing i can tell you is that GOOD amplification will get you the maximum out of those speakers and for me your NEXT step up will be FULL RANGE 94 inches high models welcome to the Acoustat proud owners club and enjoy your new venture.
I have an idea to have add an active XO and only use the ESL panels of the Spectras and feed everything below 250 Hz to my active subs. For the ESL panels I would buy a powerful amp suitable for the load. What do you think about this? Is it easy to bypass the XO in the Spectras?
Old 22nd July 2012, 09:48 PM   #270
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazer99 View Post
I have an idea to have add an active XO and only use the ESL panels of the Spectras and feed everything below 250 Hz to my active subs. For the ESL panels I would buy a powerful amp suitable for the load. What do you think about this? Is it easy to bypass the XO in the Spectras?
For technical information please send me your e-mail address at mracoustat@videotron.ca and i will send you my friend Jocelyn's e-mail address he is the one that does the mods and rebuilds of Acoustat's here in Quebec Canada probably not the only one but he his very qualified as for me i'm simply a very long time user of Acoustat's 1984 but technicaly i'm very close to 0 in knowledge.

Last edited by MrAcoustat; 22nd July 2012 at 09:50 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!