Acoustat Answer Man is here - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th February 2012, 01:17 PM   #221
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom666 View Post
Andy
Do you know the type/brand of high voltage resistors used in the Spectra 44 for the panel equalization?
Thanks
Andrew
Manufacturers of high-voltage resistors seem to come and go, and during the life of the Spectra series, several different brands were used for the sector resistors. In fact, way too much of my time was spent qualifying new resistor vendors! The resistors varied in appearance, but were all pretty much the same specification. Vishay-Dale makes the HVX-2 series, which is rated at 5 watts, 15-kV working voltage, and has a flame-proof coating. The voltage rating is higher than necessary, but that comes with the 5-watt rating.

There are probably a handful of manufacturers making nearly identical parts. More than likely a special-order will be required, as resistors of this type are rarely stocked, but you might get lucky. Also take a look at distributors Allied Electronics and Newark Electronics.
Old 5th March 2012, 01:40 PM   #222
diyAudio Member

Default Woofer replacement

I have owned a pair of Spectra 11's since 1990. They are still in exquisite condition. I have never tweeked or messed with them. I also run them with an M&K subwoofer. Is there a mod or replacement to the Spectras original woofer that I can do to get a deeper and tighter bass? Just wanting to enjoy them without the addition of the sub. You know, never can leave well enough alone.
Old 5th March 2012, 08:07 PM   #223
diyAudio Member

Hello all,

Great discussion and information in this thread.

Can someone explain or direct me in the right direction on how to safely discharge, disconnect and handle the interfaces? Nothing too technical, I'm just sending these off to be refurbished.

Thanks in advance,

Mat
Old 6th March 2012, 01:55 PM   #224
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi ..
Search...is good place..lot info for all..on ESL
Old 6th March 2012, 03:54 PM   #225
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyu View Post
Hi ..
Search...is good place..lot info for all..on ESL
Thanks my friend, I found it in the owners manual, go figure. I'm gonna take a look inside and see what I see… No worry, I'm smarter than I sound
Old 12th April 2012, 03:16 AM   #226
diyAudio Member

Hello - I have a pair of Model 3's 1984 (all black). I have loved these for all these years. I sold them and got these on SA from the store I worked at. DS Audio in Reading PA. They are now next to the 60 inch and look great in the theater room. I always wanted a pair of Model 8's though.

I now have a ticking from one side. HV cap discharge I would imagine. Do you know anyone who rebuilds the HV board? I want to keep them but the wife is not into the tick tick tick.
Old 15th April 2012, 05:12 AM   #227
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Johnson View Post
Hello all,

Great discussion and information in this thread.

Can someone explain or direct me in the right direction on how to safely discharge, disconnect and handle the interfaces? Nothing too technical, I'm just sending these off to be refurbished.

Thanks in advance,

Mat

unplug... play music until nil sound... remove interface cover... now you have a couple of choices.

The goal is to short the stator wires to the center wire/bias supply wire...

The power supply is already discharged at this point for all intents and purposes, but we can make sure later.

you can use an insulated handle needle nose pliers to undo the nuts holding the stator wires, and/or take the center pin that holds the HV bias wires, now you want to touch that wire to the stator wires (there are two), or alternately take each stator wire and touch it to the center wire, and/or to each other...

Keep ur OTHER HAND off the box, and you body off the box when you do this. Do NOT do this if you have a heart condition or use a pacemaker (fwiw)

it will make a noise in the speaker, and maybe a spark. Do it until there is nothing... or keep them together.

You can then take a wire or the open jaws of the pliers and short the ctr pin to the stator terminals, each side...

all discharged now.

Worst case is like a damn strong static electric spark... will make a jump back a little, but not more than that. That's why you keep ur body and hands off the case - and off GROUND too!

_-_-bear

Btw, what the heck needs to be "refurbished"??
Old 15th April 2012, 05:20 AM   #228
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennScott View Post
Hello - I have a pair of Model 3's 1984 (all black). I have loved these for all these years. I sold them and got these on SA from the store I worked at. DS Audio in Reading PA. They are now next to the 60 inch and look great in the theater room. I always wanted a pair of Model 8's though.

I now have a ticking from one side. HV cap discharge I would imagine. Do you know anyone who rebuilds the HV board? I want to keep them but the wife is not into the tick tick tick.

Ticking is likely a discharge in the cells, not the HV supply.

This can come from dirt, dust, excess humidity, too little humidity, AND importantly the wires at the ends (typically) of the cells coming loose from the glue bond and becoming too close to the cells.

Try this - you have to remove the socks from the top... take the top plate off, take out the 4 billion staples (why they used so many??), slide the sock down... speaker can be on for all this , if you like...

In a PITCH DARK ROOM, sit there and listen and look for the discharge!

Quiet room helps too... late night usually best...

You may have to move your vantage point to find it...

In the case of a loose stator wire, the cures have been posted before...

If it is dirt, the cells should first be vacuumed, preferably with a soft hair vacuum brush (not these hard synthetic modern ones) (make sure IT is clean by washing it and making sure it is dry). If that fails, then they can be washed, but you have to make sure that if you dip them, not to try to lift them in the horizontal position and get water load on the mylar...

those instructions too were discussed some time back...

One danger is that persistent arcs in the same spot across something like plastic will create a carbon track that is difficult to remove and defeat... but usually not impossible.

_-_-bear
Old 17th April 2012, 12:53 AM   #229
diyAudio Member

Thanks Bear
That does sound more like it. The ticking is from one spot at the bottom of the center panel.

To anyone who had something to do with the making of Acoustats over the years I want to send out a big "LOVE YA" men and ladies.

My first exposure was as a customer of DS Audio in Reading. I would go in and listen to album after album on model 2 and 4's. The real old tube amped ones that leaned back.
Everyone else wanted to hear and Mag Tymp 4's with the sub panels on Audio Research electronics. But I was hooked. I had to walk out that day with powered Advents due to budget. Still was a great day.

Next thing I knew I was working at the place. I heard many more and of the newer 1980's + models and they kept getting better and better. We had some great listening rooms at DSA. In a room with Mag MG3's and Acoustat Model 3's I broke down and bought a pair. My sales partner bought the MG3's. They were nice but even that ribbon didn't have the spark of detail on axis of the 3's. The sub models started coming out but I didn't like them as much. And I do very large scale sound reinforcement systems and I love base from cones. I didn't like the cone with them. They didn't need it for one and the low mids were not the same.

And the Acoustat TNT200 was one of the best amps I have ever heard on almost any speaker. WOW what a amp. My budget would keep me from getting one then Hafler/Rockford/China and gone. I used this amp against everything we had. Krell, Threshold monos, Tandburg mono's, Sony Esprit, A.R., Electrocompaniet, C.J., and many many more. No contest. Sorry to all those "golden hears" but I lived at this place and heard these day in and day out, even at home on my 3's. I am missing those days.
Old 1st May 2012, 06:11 PM   #230
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoustatAnswerMan View Post
There weren't many of the 66 or 6600's produced, and most people who have them don't want to part with them (and I can hardly blame them!). But if you were to find a pair in good condition, and they were actually for sale, I wouldn't expect the price to be any less than $2000/pr, possibly much more. Being such a large speaker, it's often a matter of finding the right seller & buyer in the right place, since shipping is usually out of the question.

I was lucky in finding my Spectra 4400's, which I bought several years after I left Rockford. I bought them from another ex-Rockford employee, who unfortunately had them stored unprotected, so there was some cosmetic re-hab work to do before they were ready for the living room. That meant that I was able to get them for a very nice price (don't ask), but with my familiarity with the product, I was able to get them looking almost new. And NO, they are NOT for sale!
Hi guy's i know someone that paid 5k for a pair of 6600s and very happy he did of course i'm not biased one bit.

Hide this!Advertise here!